Name Calling

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by squeeks, Apr 28, 2011.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

It seems these days almost every thread posted in the political forum contains liberals from this forum calling other groups they dont agree with derogatory names...be it..wacko Christians, teabaggers or racists conservatives..

Why is nothing done about this?

The site rules state...

Other name calling.. i.e. insulting a group that you know members of this forum are a part of..

I just want to know why management allows this and after repeated post reports does nothing about it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, it's only the liberals calling people names in PRSI. Oh wait... it's both sides. Bias much? :-\

3. Cole JM macrumors regular

That isnt the point, it needs to stop on both sides. Now im gonna be mod like and say - Having a Politics section is a privialge, especailly on a Mac forum. Keep it abiding by the rules and it will stay around. Don't have it taken away. - pretending to be a mod over.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As long as it's not directed at any one person, I don't see the issue. We can all be big enough to brush off these indirect slights.

5. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

its pretty much ONLY liberals in the PRSI...

I made a comment one time (and i wasent really trying to be mean about it) I said "a bunch of the liberals around here act like they have a stick up their ass"..and i got banned for 3 days for saying that..yet there is much worse stuff that goes on in there that no one every does anything about. And i believe thats only becuase i was reported on by a member thats been here a lot longer than i have.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

If you think it's only liberals doing the name calling you must not spend much time in PRSI. Or maybe you shouldn't be spending as much time in there if it is so upsetting.

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Are you certain that's why you were banned? Reminds me of this website: http://whywasibanned.com/

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

I still have the PM explination from Dr. Q if you dont believe me...

And actually no I dont spend my time in PRSI anymore simply becuase that forum has become the converative bashing forum.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

I stay away because the "conservatives" tend to post BS and don't back it up. Or they continue to repeat talking points that don't mean anything. Or, they ignore posts that debunk what they've said. But, that's not the topic of this thread. I'm sure there's a rule you'll quote to show me.;)

I don't think the type of name calling that you are referring to is against the rules.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

11. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

If you can't cope with someone name calling, you really shouldn't be reading, or posting in the political forum. It's only for the big kids. Politics is a tricky game, and a nasty one.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

User feedback about issues like this is what led the moderators and administrators to create the Rules for Appropriate Debate a few months ago. No prescribed set of formulas are going to apply to human writing but the purpose of the new rules was to raise the level of Politics, Religion, Social Issues discussions. The additional rules have made additional work for the moderators but they thought it was worth the effort.

Did it completely solve the problem? No. Did it help? I think so. In some cases users make the same types of petty posts as in the past, but now there are rules in place for which warnings can be issued, where there weren't before. It hasn't been a sea change but it moved us in the right direction.

Post reports are still the key to addressing specific problems, but reminding people about the spirit of the rules is a good idea too. The actions of the community are what really matter.

13. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

and if he's a macrumors user then i appologize

14. 184550, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

184550 Guest

I also agree that there is a certain bias in PRSI when it comes to uniformly reminding/ disciplining/ reprimanding the users that participate in the forum.

However, I also agree that it's a two way street. Liberal and Conservative members are both at fault.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sucks that people cannot have a mature conversation and even disagree with eachother without name calling or trying to pick other peoples spelling or grammar errors.
    Childish....

16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

17. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are two potential sources of bias:

1. Post reporting bias. If most users favor one point of view while arguing with a user with an opposing opinion, it's much more likely that rules violations by that user will be reported simply because they get more attention and because some users purposely target them.
    We know that this happens and we keep it in mind. If a user didn't break the rules, no action is taken, despite their opponents submitting lots of post reports. However, if the targeted user did indeed break the rules, they are held responsible. Being post-report targeted for having a minority opinion isn't an excuse. And if rules violations by other users are never reported, they probably won't come to the attention of the moderators. We've seen cases where a minority-opinion user fails to report posts because they assume that moderation is applied unfairly, and this attitude is actually a cause of an unequal outcome.
    2. Moderation bias. This would occur if individual moderators used their own opinions to guide their handling of post reports, rather than the rules as stated and the moderation guidelines we use.
    We stop this by using a team approach to moderation (every moderator sees what every other moderator does), by using a team with various political views (we get accused of favoring both major political parties!), by having a tiered review system with administrators (who report to arn) overseeing moderators, and by investigating any moderation action that's questioned.

If, instead, we're promoting or suppressing certain political views, it would have to be a conspiracy among the whole staff, including unpaid volunteers who would have no reason to be so dishonest.
    There are four primary reasons why we sometimes seem to "do nothing" about a rules violation or post report:
    1. It wasn't reported. A lot of users assume that somebody else reported a problem and don't report it themselves.
    2. We didn't finish handling it yet. Some reports require discussion among the moderators. How many moderators are around at any given time is highly variable across time zones.
    3. The moderators don't agree that a rule was broken. The moderators are practiced at interpreting the rules and applying them consistently. Post reporters are sometimes right on the money, but sometimes completely wrong about what's against the rules.
    4. We acted but you can't see it. Many warnings are handled privately with PMs or infractions, not visible time-outs or bans. We believe in giving users second chances when we can. That's not the same as allowing rules violations.
    5. We ignored a post report or allowed a rules violation that we heard about. <--- This never happens.
    Someday I'll put this information in an FAQ so I don't have to explain it as often! :cool:

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So its ok to call non-MR members names? :confused:

Sounds like using your own posts, you're part of the problem. I doubt only one side (liberals) are the sole cause of the degeneration of that forum.

Instead of complaining of others, worry about how you comport yourself - The whole speck in the eye type of thing.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

I generally avoid the PRSI because of the tone and argumentative nature of the forum.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

According to the rules, you can't directly insult forum members. But you can make general insults or insult members of the public. For instance, the OP referred to Obama as Obama Bin-laden.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand, my point was not whether name calling against the rules but how hypocritical it was for someone to post a thread complaining about name calling only to be shown evidence he partook of the same action and the OP provided a conditional apology

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But then again, there is the trolling rule:

If you post "Obama Bin-laden" to a thread with Obama supporters, you are trolling IMO, especially if you add nothing to support your point of view. The only reason you post that is to flame.

While we are all entitled to express our own opinions, it shouldn't require going back to the kindergarden level. It is completely fine that you don't like Obama and there are millions of people who share the opinion, but you still don't have to use such offensive words.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you find Obama Bin Laden so offensive, I say you don't belong in a forum discussing politics.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There you go again.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is why I never post in PRSI. That does not mean that the forum rules don't apply to PSRI though.