Name this Apple Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I was browsing Apple's website today, when I ran into a picture of an Apple laptop I didn't recognize, although I do love the design.

[​IMG]

What is the name of this Laptop? I love the ports on the back!

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Looks like a MBP connected to a docking station.

Got a link ?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Isn't that the Titanium PowerBook?

Looks like I was correct.
    Titanium PowerBook:
    [​IMG]

5. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Thats a picture of the Titanium Powerbook on the Road Tools PodiumPad.

7. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Thanks!

Now the real question: Why has apple moved away from this design? Clearly it demonstrates that it is very possible to have ports on the back of the laptop without ruining the aesthetics or design of the laptop. What a great way for apple to add extra ports and options, no?

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That had a PPC processor in it. Completely different inside.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I do believe that Apple had a lot of hinge problems with this design. The new hinge design that Apple utilizes doesn't allow for them to have the ports on the back. And also when they switched to the new design Apple stated that they wanted to avoid the "reach around" effect with having the ports on the back.

10. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

And whenever you have to plug something in at the back you either have to fumble blindly, close the lid or turn the laptop around. I'm very happy with all the ports on the side of the laptop.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Holy... that's the same laptop my AP Stats teacher uses! I actually don't like the I/O ports being on the back. I hate reaching behind and groping around for ports.

12. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Actually, Apple did something very clever to avoid that. The ports are covered by a door which folds open. The icons identifying each port are on the inside of the door facing the screen. So all you need to do is look through the space under the screen between the hinges to see where the ports are. (You do have to memorize the orientation, though.)

13. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I suppose you're all right. I just miss having more than 2 USB ports, and a non-ridiculous display standard (full displayport vs the new, crippled mini displayport)

14. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Apple has had a series of different connectors on laptops for displays over the years. With the PowerBook 165c and 180c, the 500 series, and the 5300 series, they needed an adapter to adapt the connector to a DB-15 Mac monitor connector. With the PowerBook 3400c and later the G3 PowerBooks, the VGA connector became the standard (regular VGA port). Then, Apple went to DVI and Mini-DVI (which needed an adaptor to convert to a DVI port). Now we have this funky mini-display port thing which practically nobody uses, it's almost 100% Apple proprietary, AND you need an adaptor to hook to a standard DVI monitor (or several adaptors). I wish Apple would go back to a standard DVI-D port, it was something that was working out well for awhile. Apple actually had a standard display port on their notebooks that connected to almost every display.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Nah, that would be too easy.

18. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Two things:

1. To Peace - The aluminum PowerBooks and pre-unibody MacBook Pros shared the same external design while having their radically different insides :)

2. To Relznuk - The hinges on the Titanium PowerBook were extraordinarily fragile for a modern laptop. They had a bad habit of simply cracking apart and severing the display cables in the process. Other than that issue, and the horrid AirPort performance due to having the antennas in the body of the machine, I still find them to be one of the most fetching laptops that Apple has ever made :)

19. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I dont believe that the screen drops behind the back edge of the machine like they do now

20. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

As someone already pointed out, the newer hinge designs don't allow for all of the ports to be on the back.

The ports haven't been on the back of the laptop, covered by a flip-closed door since the Titanium Powerbooks. Pretty much all of Apple's laptops prior to the Powerbook G4 and on had that door with the port descriptions on the back side.

It was nice to have covered ports, but it was also a door that broke off or became loose rather easily. And it is nice not having to reach around back to access the USB ports and etc.

21. liquid stereo macrumors regular

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then buy a Windows laptop.

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I love my TiBook :D ... but I REALLY have to be careful with the hinges ... if you happen to drop it and damage the hinge, its not just the hinge that'll go but you'll also need to replace the connector ribbon for the display. Also on the G4 400/550 Mhz models (initial release) the IRda port was on the back ... not a spart place for them and was removed on Rev.B.

The reason for moving the ports on the side; a smart move if not esthetically challenging, was for venting. Those old PPCs get really hot - and the Titanium bottom case didn't help with dissapation too well. Also note that the lighter part of the case, the ribbon around the keyboard is not Titanium, its some diecast metal thingy. A Gasket of sorts.

What do you mean for crippled mini-displayport? Is there a difference between the displayport on the MB/MBP's vs the new iMacs (besides video input)??

24. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

That's the Titanium PowerBook I retired and still have. It was a good computer and I can still use it for lighter tasks but it was definitely showing it's age when I used it for heavier tasks.

Agreed. I disliked the reach around. It also had an annoying flap that covers the ports whenever you didn't have anything plugged in. You can see the bottom flap in iBookG4user's picture. If you left the PowerBook on your desk permanently then you can leave the flap down but if you put in your laptop bag or carry it around under your arm without something plugged in then it would close on it's own.

I much prefer the ports being on the side and the left side better than the right because when I attach my mouse anything plugged into the a right port would be in the way of my mouse. I don't really put anything on the left side so it's perfect for ports. I'm much happier with the left side port arrangement.

25. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

The thing I don't care about having ports on the side is it takes up my desk space, while convenient to plug in cables I can't really put papers directly to the left of my computer.