Nano coming to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, May 27, 2009.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

There’s been a lot of noise lately about Verizon and the iPhone. Sure, some could be wishful thinking. Some could be to manipulate the ongoing Apple/AT&T negotiations. But could there be anything more to it?

We’ve heard rumors that an iPhone nano/lite/mini could be coming, and coming to Verizon alongside an iPhone-esque iTablet/iPad.

Yesterday on MacBreak Weekly, Scott Bourne claimed a Verizon insider contacted him and told him “Verizon is getting their own iPhone and the announcement will be in June”. Sound like a WWDC 2009 “one more thing” for the ages?

This follows on our friend Duvi letting us know about a rumor posted on the CrackBerry.com forums:

"It is confirmed that iphone is coming to vzw…date? Very soon…there is a training for all emp on the internal training intranet website."

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/05/27/verizon-iphone-rumors-wwdc-surprise/

BTW I posted a couple of months ago about how apple could make a nano and let verizon have it, without breaking AT&T contract since they are two differnt phones.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Doubt it. I'm sure AT&T legal would consider a "Nano" as part of the exclusive deal they have with Apple.

One more time: there will not be a Nano on any provider (at least in the near future).

3. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I don't see this as totally impossible. It all depends on what the fine print on the exclusivity agreement says. Just because T Mobile has exclusive rights to the G1 doesn't mean HTC can't put other phones out on other carriers. Same goes for Blackberry and its Storm.

If Apple can legally get away with it, they would greatly benefit from putting out a phone on America's largest network.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

6. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

well apple is supposed to be making 3 different iPhone's 3g, 3.5/3.7g,and CDMA for china, who's to say that they couldn't put a CDMA chip in a nano and sell it on verizon. Yea AT&T has rights to the "iPhone" but they might not have the rights to a different apple phone platform. The iPhone and the nano would be to differnt products.

7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

Honestly, who cares.

...waiting for elitest to come hang me.

8. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

+1

It's still a "iPhone" (nano or not) AT&T will have all rights.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I say Apple should give the iPhone to Verizon, this way when everyone switches and then Verizon service sucks, I will go to ATT and get an iPhone 3G, then I will be the only one on the service and it will Rock :eek:

As much as Apple could benenfit Verizon has too much control over their own network, thus their crappy selection of phones, bc if I were a MFG of a phone I would not want to spend $ for R&D just to put a phone on a network that could not be used anywhere else, just look at the Storm, it is not doing what RIM thought, but Verizon still makes their money once they sell it and all their services, I know I had one for 1 week and returned it because it sucked.

Just my opinion :cool:

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you have no way of knowing that.

11. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Search the threads & learn, Thnx.:cool:

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

at&t has exclusivity on the original iphone and the iphone 3g. if apple were going to take the iphone 3g and put a cdma radio in it i would agree that would be a breach of exclusivity. creating an iphone nano/lite would be a new phone and i have seen no publicly available information that would suggest at&t gets exclusive rights to that.

13. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

There's no official proof that it's not.

14. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

They are not going to put CDMA in any iPhone, it's old tech and Verizon is even getting rid of it.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The CDMA protocol itself is not old tech. CDMA is the easiest way to add more users with more speed.

Heck, the second iPhone added the GSM usage of it (W-CDMA) in order to get 3G.

So Apple has already changed radios once, and can do so easily again.

What you're thinking about, is that Verizon and ATT are adding LTE for high speed data for various devices. They'll still support their old methods for voice for five to ten years to come.

16. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yea some people seem to think that LTE will mean the immediate death of GSM and CDMA.

17. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

All of china uses CDMA and rumors have it that apples going to used CDMA for chinas iPhone, what's to keep them from putting CDMA in a nano and putting it on a differnt carrier.

18. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

More nonsense.

China Mobile operates a GSM network, and are planning a TD-SCDMA network for 3G services. They are the largest, with 415 million customers. TD-SCDMA (Time Division-Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access) is a proprietary 3G standard invented in China so carriers don't have to pay licensing fees to companies like Qualcomm.

China Unicom operates a GSM network. They are in the middle of deploying a UMTS network. Has 125 million customers.

China Telecom operates a CDMA network, which they bought from China Unicom. Has about 43 million customers.

Post when you know what you're talking about.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon can burn in hell. The iPhone will not be nanonized, Verizon will never carry the iPhone.

End of story.

20. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Verizon Sucks, they had a shot now they will not have it again or apple are morons. The End. Its all about Market base who has more people, ATT > Verizon.

~Thread Closed!

21. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Apple is not going to spend tens of millions of dollars developing and building a factory for a dumbed-down iPhone, when they can just make the current iPhone (R&D already paid for) the lesser version, and release a better version (iPhone 3.5G) for the main-stream new iPhone. I think it is very possible that AT&T might carry two versions of the iPhone.