Nano or Nah, No?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by milani, Jan 6, 2009.

1. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Well just as the majority here figured, there was no iPhone nano released or even mentioned at all at MacWorld. It would seem that it was a completely baseless rumor. More generally, there wasn't really anything specific to the iPhone in the way of hardware, which seems to suggest that Apple is focusing on other aspects of the brand, and that the iPhone will remain as is for a while. It doesn't look like a 32GB model is on the immediate horizon either. So my advice to all those people who waited would be to quit wasting your time waiting and just get an iPhone and enjoy it! :D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm laughing at the iPhone nano proponents' plight, and I approve this message. :D

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

4. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

In a way I suppose, but I'd rather it be the stop posting topics asking if there is an update today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and so forth. Because I think we can all agree that the 3 threads a day was a little ridiculous and definitely more than annoying because they all ended up as the same back and forth soup.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Before you get on the high horse (oops, too late), notice that there were no new Mac Minis or iMacs unveiled today. Those updates were highly rumored and both units are due for an update.

One of the reasons I read about why Apple decided to stop doing Macworld was so there wasn't some arbitrary date when new products had to be announced. Apple will likely roll out an iMac update within the next month, probably update the Mac Mini sometime soon, and I'm willing to bet they are at least developing a smaller iPhone.

6. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

^ Sigh...

Well I guess we can continue to expect 3 speculative nano threads a day based on no evidence whatsoever...

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Maybe a re-tooled version of the iPhone. But not a phone that requires a new UI / OS.

The current iPhone will be the "nano" ("nano" being code for "cheaper") phone once higher-end units start coming out.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah. I'm laughing at the Mac Mini, Mac Pro, iMac, and 32GB iPhone proponents' plights, because none of those products will ever happen, either. Because I mean, if Apple doesn't announce it today, it'll never happen. :rolleyes:

Actually, who I'm really laughing at is all those people that will try and use the Keynote as some kind of "vindication" of their views. Arguing that if they didn't announce it today, it won't happen is like arguing that if you don't die today, you'll never die. It's a completely baseless position...

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

LOL. Because there's no market for a traditional cell phone, but a huge market for a "genius phone", right? Oh, wait...

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Fantastic. Maybe we oughta change the name if the site to nanorumors.com. :rolleyes:

On a lighter note, I'll be at the Apple store tonight doing my upgrade since no new hardware was released.

11. Cask Guest

Well while I don't believe any iPhone nano rumor to be true, I still believe the 32 GB capacity bump could be very likely. Last year, there was also no mention of the 16 GB version, then on February if my memory serves me right it quietly appeared. They don't really need an event for a capacity bump.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The market for traditional cell phones features low-margin products that can only compete on price.

The smart phone market is about high-margin products that compete on software and features.

And you think Apple would be interested in that first market...why? There's also a huge market for fast-food hamburgers. Do you think Apple is going to start selling them?

13. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

Yah there could very well be a memory boost, but keep in mind that it is limited by physical hardware limitations right now, and even if the chipset became available (it might actually be available now), it wouldn't yet be cost effective, so I suspect there would be an interim period where the prices would have to drop first. But like I said, if you want an iPhone you might as well just get one, because you'll be locked into a lengthy contract either way, probably until after the next generation iPhone is released in 2010 or thereabout.

And LOL @ Demosthenes X, I think anything less than Steve Jobs yelling from a mountain "THERE IS NO NANO iPHONE" wouldn't be enough to sway you. And for the record I certainly believe there will be Mac updates, as that aspect of the brand is long overdue for an update.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

'Cause his mom (or uncle/teacher/dog) uses a candy bar phone.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Believe it or not, I'm one of the nicer guys out there. I hate people who are demeaning or rude. And there's A LOT of them here.

Despite that fact, I really want to punch you square in the mouth.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's funny how many people are like "Enough about the iPhone!!! Where are the new computers???" Then Apple does a keynote with just software and computers and people are like "Where's the iPhone news???" No new iPhones? I believe iPhones come in the summer.

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The same reasons they make the iPod Shuffle and the Mac Mini. As a gateway to Mac products. There are plenty of people out there who will never buy an iPhone because they have no need/desire for a smartphone. But they would buy a non-smartphone Apple device. Just like lots of people would never have bought the iPod (too expensive, didn't need that much storage space, etc.), but they're happy to buy the less expensive, lower-capacity nano.

If we assume for a moment that Apple's goal is to increase market share and, thus, profits, then we come to the logical conclusion that Apple should produce a phone that is not a smartphone. Someone that buys an iPhone nano and enjoys it is more likely to buy another Apple product in the future. By offering lower-margin products, they create brand awareness and brand loyalty among people that would otherwise not have bought an Apple product. And that increase sales of all their products.

Retail stores use a similar strategy when they price items below their cost. That means they actually loose money on every one of those items sold. It seems totally illogical. But it's called a loss leader - they loose money on those items, but it gets people in the door, and those people then also buy other, higher margin products.

*shrug* I've never said there will be an iPhone. I simply grow tired of people insisting, wrongly, that there is no market for phone. There certainly is. As I've said before, that does not mean Apple will produce it: there is a very obvious market for the "xMac", as well, and yet Apple has made no indication that they will ever produce such a product.

If the "anti-nano" crowd stuck to that argument, I would have no problem. But instead they make baseless claims about how there is "no market" (untrue) or that Apple "doesn't do cheap" (also untrue). And now they've started touting the lack of an announcement today as "proof". But if you think about it for more than twenty seconds, the lack of an announcement means very little. There was also no Mac Mini, iMac, iPhone, or Mac Pro announcement. Yet we all anticipate those products will be updated in the future. So arguing that "no announcement today = no product, ever" is just stupid. But then, the "anti-nano" crowd has never been big on logical arguments...

:rolleyes: Yeah, you've certainly demonstrated your "nicer guy" attribute by expressing a desire to do physical harm to someone. More to the point, if you're first reaction is physical violence when someone posts a comment about a potential electronic device that you disagree with, I'd wager you're not a "nice guy" at all.

I've certainly had my disagreements with some of the members on this forum, but as I recall none of them has ever threatened violence... good on ya for breaking that nasty cycle! :rolleyes:

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

DX,

You're wrong. Your logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Valid arguments are being presented, and you choose not to consider them.

Furthermore, Apple didn't release the Nano phone at MacWorld. Surely this can be put to rest until Summer at the earliest (but please don't, even then).

Sincerely,
    The whole internet (even the part that doesn't know MacRumors exists)

19. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

DX,

Just give it a rest. I was going to post something long and tiresome, but it would just be a repeat of what I've said a dozen times now. Just give it a rest. There is no nano. I'm sorry.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's an odd assumption. I assume they ONLY want to maximize profits. I don't see how owning the market-share of a category that makes no money is going to help them do that.

Ok, your gateway theory has merit, but I would say that would only be necessary once iPhone sales start slowing down and need help. That hasn't happend yet.

So sure, another iPhone model probably WILL happen. My point is that it probably won't happen in 2009. We just started the year, but I still feel pretty good about that guess. I'm guessing we'll see minor revisons to the current model in July, and maybe a price drop if it needs it. Then, maybe something new in 2010, but no sooner than that.

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Which "valid arguments". The one that there's no market for such a device? That's not a "valid argument", since the market for "dumbphones" is well documented. The one that it would be "too hard to use"? That's hardly valid, either, since a number of workable solutions have been presented by forum members, nevermind what Apple's engineers could come up with, should they be so inclined. The argument that Apple "doesn't do cheap", which only holds as long as you conveniently forget about the iPod shuffle and Mac mini?

All you have to say is "I don't think an iPhone nano will happen because Apple chooses to ignore certain markets". That's a perfectly true, perfectly valid, perfectly feasible reason why an iPhone nano may not happen. But instead of using what is, if we're honest, an irefutable argument, you come up with terribly flawed arguments about Apple's business practises that don't hold any water.

I'm not convinced an iPhone nano will happen. I'd like to see what Apple would do with the concept, and naturally would love to see more Apple products in the wild, but I'm not convinced Apple will go for it. Why? Because they willfully ignore some markets. This might be one of them.

But please, stop spreading your misguided and downright false arguments. And for the love of God, don't use the lack of an announcement today as a reason to climb onto a high horse. Apple also didn't announce a new Mac Mini: is that never going to happen?

And that's hardly an unreasonable position. I'm glad there's some degree of logic on this forum, at least. It's a refreshing change from the "an iPhone nano won't happen EVER because of flawed logic X" routine. FWIW, I'm not convinced we'll see an iPhone nano this year, or even ever, for reasons I've been very clear about. But I certainly see a place in the lineup for it, so it might just happen.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Of course more phone models are coming. And of course value-minded additions to the line up will happen.

But it's not going to be a candy bar phone. It's won't be a phone with a click wheel. And it very very (very!) likely won't be called "something nano".

The iPhone in your hand right now, will be the $99 phone of next year (2010). And the $0 phone of the year after that. It will eventually be blister-packed and sold without a plan. Probably even pay-as-you-go given enough time.

Better iPhones are going to keep coming. With interesting, new features. This is how Apple is going to increase their market share, and keep the $$$ rolling in.

Spending real R&D dollars, having to re-deal with carriers (around the world no less), courting a segment of the population that are notoriously fickle and set in their ways DOESN'T make "business sense". Not sure what business school some posters around here went to ......

EDIT - NOTE: This is not a reply to DX. Don't need to be wasting my time 'talking' to a wall.

23. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

DX, your logic is completely flawed. You're working off of the assumption that you can make a lot of money from a regular phone. You can't. It would be so costly for Apple to try to gain a foothold in that market, and what is the long term benefit? Apple has a share in a market that is inevitably going to disappear (probably sooner than later). Again, I cite the DVD Blu-Ray example. Should Apple invest in DVD technology? I mean, everyone has a DVD player... No, because DVD is on the way out. And trust me, the regular phone is on the way out as well. If the iPhone did one thing it showed consumers and analysts alike that regular people can use and enjoy high-tech stuff too.

And I agree with cellocello, the iPhone will change when the next iPhone comes out. That's how Apple will increase its marketshare. It'll make better products that are progressively less expensive (and hopefully data plans on networks will follow suit, especially as more people begin to buy smart phones that use data).

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

^ That's an entirely different disagreement about the nature of the cellular industry. I agree that the "dumbphone" market is certainly shrinking, but I do not agree that it will vanish anytime soon. I believe there will always be some buyers who want nothing more than a simple cell phone, and honestly, I expect that to remain a rather sizable market.

There's a reason that, even though DVDs replaced VHS tapes a long time ago, you can still buy a VHS player. The market for VCRs may have shrunk considerably, but it has not vanished entirely yet. And I personally expect the market for dumbphones to be even more reseliant than the market for VCRs.

As too making money from a regular phone: agreed, the margin on the handset itself may be slim. But if there's no money in them, why do all of the major handset makers build and sell them? Even Blackberry has a "consumer oriented" (albeit still smart) phone, the Pearl. Low margin products still make money based on volume. Sell 100 phones at a $10 profit each and you've made $1000, remember. They also serve to create brand loyalty and as a "gateway" for consumers to upgrade to higher margin products. These are "loss leaders" - like when you go into Walmart and buy the toilet paper that they loose $0.50 on because they sell it below cost, but then you also buy the $29.99 DVD that they make $5.00 on.

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Because they can't do what Apple does. They wish they could, though.

(the Pearl still has the BB "killer app" - push and full email support. It still runs the BB OS, as well. Why am I replaying to you?!?!)