Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf today announced the launch of its newest HomeKit-compatible lighting product, a set of LED light bars called "Lines." Lines are modular beams that feature backlit illumination and that can be arranged into different patterns and shapes.

nanoleaf-lines-design.jpg

According to Nanoleaf, the Lines are designed to offer a new form factor that pairs smart lighting technology with an ultramodern design. Nanoleaf Lines connect together at 60 degree angle increments and each one features dual color zones for choosing two colors at once.

nanoleaf-lines-music.jpg

Diffused backlighting allows the two colors to blend together for a unique look, with the glow from the light cast onto the wall. Lines can be mounted to the wall or the ceiling using included mounting plates. Nanoleaf is also providing Lines "Skins" to turn the Lines black or pink, and those will launch in December.

nanoleaf-lines-dual.jpg

Lines can be "painted" with different lighting scenes created by Nanoleaf and users can also create their own custom scenes using millions of colors. There are 19 preset scenes in total, including seven rhythm scenes that activate in time with music that's playing.

nanoleaf-lines-wall.jpg

Nanoleaf has implemented a new Rhythm Music Visualizer that syncs up with songs in real-time to create dynamic color visualizations that can be customized using 22 separate Rhythm Motions. Each Rhythm Motion is engineered for a different genre of music.

Lines work with the Nanoleaf's Screen Mirror feature to sync to on-screen colors when users are watching movies or playing games. There are four different Screen Mirror modes that vary intensity and color transition speed.

nanoleaf-lines-ceiling.jpg

Like other recent Nanoleaf products, the Nanoleaf Lines will act as a Thread Border Router for the Nanoleaf Essentials line of bulbs and lightstrips, offering a faster, more reliable connection. Lines will also work with Matter through a software update coming next year.

Lines are available for pre-order starting today from the Nanoleaf website. A Smarter Kit with 9 Lines is priced at $200, while Expansion Packs with 3 Lines can be purchased for $80. Lines will ship out by the end of November.

Article Link: Nanoleaf Launches HomeKit-Enabled 'Lines' LED Light Bars

Last edited:
I am not a "gamer" or someone who wants my home to look "tech" so their previous products have not appealed to me. However, this is much more "mainstream" in my opinion. As long as it was incorporated into a larger design, I think it could look quite nice. Not like they have it in the screenshots, still too techy looking. But interesting where they are taking their products!

armhol

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
I think i'll pass. For a decent number to look good (like the one above the sofa) is gonna set me back $900! That one in the bedroom would set me back $1720! No thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: freedomlinux

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
It has homekit support, will sync rhythmically with Apple Music, and can pair with any Mac allowing for diffused viewer-faced extension of the screen. On that last point, products like the Hue Play ($250 for box and $250 and up for lights) realistically need white walls to reflect the light. This YT video for the Shapes lights demos how this might look.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
It has homekit support, will sync rhythmically with Apple Music, and can pair with any Mac allowing for diffused viewer-faced extension of the screen. On that last point, products like the Hue Play ($250 for box and $250 and up for lights) realistically need white walls to reflect the light. This YT video for the Shapes lights demos how this might look.
That makes sense now. Thank you.
It would be better if the article mentioned that. :D

tubular

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2011
I've been using Nanoleaf lights since the first triangle panels, and like them a lot.

There is a certain amount of overhead in keeping them paired with HomeKit, though. Every year or so there's some frustrating wrangling to be done, because the pairing application is very stingy on providing feedback when there's a pairing problem, saying basically, "Nope! Try again. Good luck!"

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
I am not a "gamer" or someone who wants my home to look "tech" so their previous products have not appealed to me. However, this is much more "mainstream" in my opinion. As long as it was incorporated into a larger design, I think it could look quite nice. Not like they have it in the screenshots, still too techy looking. But interesting where they are taking their products!
My first thought was this could look good for framing art that isn't in a frame. For example, a signed guitar or a decorative mirror. They might also work well as staircase lighting.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
My first thought was this could look good for framing art that isn't in a frame. For example, a signed guitar or a decorative mirror. They might also work well as staircase lighting.
Staircase lighting? Doesn't that sound a lot more functional and practical than we're giving credit for?

Reactions: GregoriusM

cuiver

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
I think i'll pass. For a decent number to look good (like the one above the sofa) is gonna set me back $900! That one in the bedroom would set me back $1720! No thanks.
The margins on these must be ginormous. Well if people are willing to pay that... it's a business as any other.

Reactions: armhol

MacMats

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Although the tech and design are interesting in their own right, I can't help but wonder who buys these (especially at their price)? I want to like it, but each one of their demo photos (which one would imagine is these products at their absolute best) make that room look like a low-budget nightclub.

Reactions: jbc25 and Spectrum

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2015
I wonder why they made them all the same length. It limits the kind of shape you can achieve. Definitely can see syncing a light show to some Claire Chase ... except her music seems to have disappeared from Apple Music, too bad ;-(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I wonder why they made them all the same length. It limits the kind of shape you can achieve. Definitely can see syncing a light show to some Claire Chase ... except her music seems to have disappeared from Apple Music, too bad ;-(
Limited to the 60 degrees angle as well, it would be so easy to support all angles, I, just now, came up with such an idea in mere seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.