Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Napster Pre-Paid Cards

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Napster will be offering prepaid cards for sale at retail stores for use with their relaunched digital music download service.

The cards will cost $14.85 and provide the purchaser with 15 downloads. The cards are targeted at teenagers without credit cards. They will become available by mid-November at retailers across the country -- including CompUSA, Best Buy, Safeway and even Rite Aid.

Napster is due to relaunch on October 29th.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm surprised Apple hasn't done this. They have the technology in place now with gift certificates/allowances etc...

They have the retail presence, too.

arn

Comment

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple start doing something like this soon. Everything is in place, software-wise.

Edit: whoa, lots of other posts before I clicked submit :D

Comment

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Am I the only one who dislikes this idea?

I mean running away to a recordstore just so that you can download music instead of sitting in the comfort of your home and download illegal music, I don't think so.

If you wan't people to download and buy there music legaly it HAS to be simpler or just as simple as pirating, something that Aplle eccels at and Napster is missing by a mile with this initiative.

Comment

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Dang! I had hoped Apple would be the first to do this. This will be a hot ticket for parents and grandparents who don't want to risk buying the wrong thing for a fickle teen.

Imagine this at BestBuy or available online via web. The sales would be great.

Dan

Comment

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
I like the idea, though I don't think people aren't accustomed to the music store business quite yet. Maybe this holiday season - we will see.

But yes, come the holidays, Apple needs to get some iTunes Cash Cards in the stores.

A $9.99 card, good for 10 songs or 1 album - easy and simple. I like that.

Comment

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Who would have guessed it but NAPSTER lives. Though I still will be freely downloading the songs I want, and buying a CD when I want the whole album.

Goodluck to the fellas though, they've been through some tough times:)

Attachments

• napster.jpg
    napster.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,660
Comment

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by mproud
A $9.99 card, good for 10 songs or 1 album - easy and simple. I like that.
I like your plan.

As for running off to record stores...who said anything about record stores? This would be a good thing to have at say, the checkout of a grocery store. Kids could either get it just by going to the store, or by convincing their parents to pay 14.85 to shut them up.

As for Napster living...not quite. It's just the name that was bought up for the recognition.

Comment

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
Seeing most teenagers here are buying prepaid cards in stores for their cellphones, instead of taking a subscription, this napster-prepaid-card will probably work pretty well. I hope Apple comes out with something similar, oh and a European Music store goddamnit!

Comment

scottlee

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Ohio
Not a bad idea for those people who are still freaked out about the idea of releasing the credit card info to the internet or their children.

Comment

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
The big thing I've ran into with some pc using friends is that they're still using an old operating system though. How frustrating for grandma to thing she's being hip by buying all her grandkids gift certificates to ITMS and then finds out they're all running Windows ME.

Comment

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Think about it:

Your granny can't use, or owns a computer, and wants to give you music. She can give you an iTunes Gift Cirtificate from the Apple Store or local outlets. See, it works! I think this will help Napster a lot in market share.

Comment

Tux Kapono

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
I thought Apple was already rumored to be doing this. It was posted on one of these rumor web sites...

Comment

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
only problem I see

These stores that are selling them need to make some money on them. Their little piece of the action subtracts from the bottom line. Now if you believe that Apple isn't all that interested in the bottom line for iTMS, then we will see these available for sale.

Why not just have a kiosk then, and get an instant download, instant gratification?

Comment

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Re: only problem I see

Originally posted by TMay
These stores that are selling them need to make some money on them. Their little piece of the action subtracts from the bottom line. Now if you believe that Apple isn't all that interested in the bottom line for iTMS, then we will see these available for sale.

Why not just have a kiosk then, and get an instant download, instant gratification?

Exactly what I was thinking!

I was also wondering about selling at stores like Best Buy who already make a lot from music sales. Sure, the online music business is so small right now it'd hardly make a dent, but in the long run, what's in it for Best Buy to sell pre-paid cards? They can't possibly make as much money selling those as they can selling CDs, no? Because it's like we're dealing with 2 different retailers... It's a bizarre concept in a way. If Best Buy did it, it would be like:

- Best Buy sells CDs.
- Circuit City sells Best Buy music gift certificates, and their own music.

What!?!?

Comment

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Vancouver
Wow thats such a good idea. I hope Apple does something like this. But then Napster might come back with a lawsuit...and here we go again :rolleyes:

Comment

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
This is a great idea. When the technical inept grandmother is out shopping for gifts for her grand kids, all she has to do is throw this card in the buggy, no need to set up a gift certificate on the computer.

Comment

evilbert420

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I don't know

Why not just buy the music when you're at the store?

I mean, really.... that's kind of ridiculous to me to go TO a brick-and-mortar store to buy a gift certificate to a virtual store. Isn't that missing the whole point of a virtual store?

I understand the 'grandma" angle... but I still think it's a dumb idea. Unless, of course, they do it at Apple stores. ;)

Comment

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
Originally posted by arn
I'm surprised Apple hasn't done this. They have the technology in place now with gift certificates/allowances etc...

They have the retail presence, too.

arn

Imagine the cool pictures they could put on the cards too. It would be a nice way to advertise and show off the elegance of their other products. I agree with other posters, this is a good idea and would dovetail nicely with Apple's gift certificates. Emails are so "virtual".

Comment

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
Correct me if I'm worng but isn't Apple giving away songs...FOR FREE? 100 Million Free and legal downloads with Pepsi...If you ask me I would rather drink a 20oz Pepsi and enjoy some free music...just me...it's like a pre pay card that comes with a free Pepsi...WOW!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.