NASA MSL Curiosity Rover mission

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If all goes according to plan at around 1:30 am eastern time early Monday morning the Nasa rover Curiosity will safely touch down.
    http://newyork.newsday.com/news/wor...-complicated-never-before-attempted-1.3883534

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I saw a video of the maneuvers it is supposed to make while landing......fricking sweet.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This will be the most advanced landing ever attempted and everything has to work in sequence or the whole mission will fail.

To watch the live feed:
    http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I want it to succeed. But, I am fully prepared for it to fail and hearing the BS, congressional hearings, etc.

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

No kidding. I'm sure Congress will bitch and moan about the $2 billion they couldn't have spent on another useless F-35 Lightning.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They say it could be hours or more before they get a signal. Stay up all night? Naw... I'll check it in the morning. :)

[​IMG]

8. MacNut, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

FAST FACTS
    Mission name: Mars Science Laboratory
    Rover name: Curiosity rover
    Size: About the size of a car -- 10 feet long (not including the arm), 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall!
    Weight: 900 kilograms (2,000 pounds)
    Features: Geology lab, rocker-bogie suspension, rock-vaporizing laser and lots of cameras
    Mission: To search areas of Mars for past or present conditions favorable for life, and conditions capable of preserving a record of life
    Launch: Between Nov. 25–Dec. 18, 2011, from Cape Canaveral, Florida
    Arrival: August 2012 at Mars
    Length of mission on Mars: The prime mission will last one Mars year or about 23 Earth months.

9. yauzers619, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So far so good... they keep talking about how the craft is sending its "heartbeat tones" as it approaches entry. I think my own heart rate is going up! 90 secs to entry..

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Curiosity has landed! Due to 14 min delay, we are still waiting for confirmation!

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Holy cow, it touched down! I'm so impressed. Way to go NASA!

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can't believe that sky crane worked without a hitch! Insanely complex system, I half expected us to impact a wad of plutonium into Martian soil.

NASA still got it!

18. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Imagine what tech we'd have if we gave NASA a $500B annual budget.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Right? Imagine. Instead of a shoestring. Maybe we should let NASA, JPL and their global partners on this project run the country for awhile. They must have had some arguments along the way but they resolved enough differences to make a spec that apparently suited them as well as the laws of physics (as we currently understand them) and put a portable science lab on Mars up there that flippin' worked the first time. Totally mind boggling achievement.

20. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

NASA is already worth it's weight on platinum to me thanks to their technical reports server. Planetary exploration is just icing on my cake. :D

Can't wait for some white papers of this mission to show up on NTRS! ;)

21. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

22. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I just watched the landing, so cool! I like that the Sky Crane was the 'least crazy idea' for landing the rover!

The best use the best, MacBook Pro FTW! I see an Apple advertisement in this, haha! Go NASA!

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

One word: Yum!

NASA JPL Flight Director, Bobak Ferdowski.

Attached Files:

24. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/06aug_parachute/

August 6, 2012: An image from the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance orbiter captured the Curiosity rover still connected to its 51-foot-wide (almost 16 meter) parachute as it descended towards its landing site at Gale Crater.

Curiosity and its parachute are in the center of the white box; the inset image is a cutout of the rover stretched to avoid saturation.

"If HiRISE took the image one second before or one second after, we probably would be looking at an empty Martian landscape," said Sarah Milkovich, HiRISE investigation scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "When you consider that we have been working on this sequence since March and had to upload commands to the spacecraft about 72 hours prior to the image being taken, you begin to realize how challenging this picture was to obtain."

The image was taken while MRO was 211 miles (340 kilometers) away from the parachuting rover. Curiosity and its rocket-propelled backpack, contained within the conical-shaped back shell, had yet to be deployed. At the time, Curiosity was about two miles (three kilometers) above the Martian surface.
    "Guess you could consider us the closest thing to paparazzi on Mars," said Milkovich. "We definitely caught NASA's newest celebrity in the act."

25. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic