Nasty finds in food

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpookTheHamster, Feb 20, 2008.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

As if it wasn't enough to find a dried up hunk of nastiness in my cereal, I'm being attacked by new terrors.

Needing to quench my thirst earlier this evening, I reached into the fridge and pulled out a carton of apple juice. Holding the carton to my lips I took a swig, and enjoyed the refreshing taste and blobs of apple in the juice.... Wait a minute, blobs of apple?! I wretched and spat out the juice in my mouth. When I looked at the floor I found some nasty green, moldy chunks. I'd already swallowed at least one before I had enough time to spit. What the frick are they, why are they in my juice, and why are they moldy?

Anyone else had any bad surprises waiting for them in their food?

Attached Files:

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Looks like moldy potato chips, or like the thing that's on the cap of certain bottles.... What kind of apple juice is this? How old was it?

I don't think I've ever found anything too crazy in my food.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I went into a shop oe day to get a buttered roll, which they buttered for me in the shop. When I got back to work and opened it and a live fly flew out of it.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've had a lot of bad experience with nasty foods....bread, fruits, pizza...eww!

One of my friends invited a bunch of us over for Sunday dinner and I wasn't aware of her putting meat in the rice(I'm a veggi head) and I felt something really chewy in the rice and when I spit it out....a nice slice of meat in my hands oh man I almost turn green...thats truly scary for someone that doesn't eat meat:D

Bless

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Fried chicken at an awards ceremony. It still had feathers on it.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the only 'nasty' thing i've ever found was mold. but i'm glad i look at my food before biting into it because of that. :p

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Other than mold, which I don't count since it's due to someone in my household not noticing it...

At different restaurants:
    • 2x mosquito in my soup (soupy noodles)
    • 3x dead fly
    • 2x little "green" caterpillar (and one other time at home, as my mom admitted she didn't do her usual pre-soak of the cabbage, just rinse-off)
    • little bits of bone where it shouldn't be (can't remember what dishes they were in)

That's all I can think of for now. :eek:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

A tooth in a Gourmet Burger Kitchen cheeseburger.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You know... they have these things called glasses. If you pour stuff in them first, rather than drinking straight from the carton, you can avoid the "lumpy drink" syndrome.

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

11. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

They have these things called engineering students. These students have what is called work, this work can take up time that would normally be spent cleaning glasses.

It was Sainsbury's Basic concentrated apple juice. It was in a carboard carton, so wouldn't have come from the cap. I would have expected concentrated apple juice - rather than freshly pressed - to be free from all sort of lumps and goo, but I've learned my lesson.

12. MisterHXC macrumors newbie

MisterHXC

The nastiest thing I've ever found in food is just hair : /

13. $Weezy$YM$ macrumors newbie

$Weezy$YM$

i found a hair in my salad once at a resteraunt. thats not really that gross though, but i stil didn't eat it.

14. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

A dead bug in a Clif bar. The kind that get into sugar and flour and stuff. Anywho Clif bar sent me a free case of them.

15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Oh gawd, I eatt those all the time... Hwo could you tell it was a dead bug? Was it within the bar, cause like if there was a dead bug in my bar I don't think I could notice it. Cool Mint Chocolate, it looks like a bar of dead bugs... possibly.

16. klymr macrumors 65816

I found a chunk of a metal scouring pad in my meal at a local restaurant. I got my meal and drink free, however, my family all had to pay for theirs. Sad part is (or is it a good thing) I was just a bite or two from being done when I put it in my mouth.

Every year for the past few years on my birthday I have found something in my food, aside from my last birthday. I can't remember for sure, but I think that cleaning pad I found was on my birthday three years ago. Couple years ago it was a few (yes multiple) hairs in my noodles at a restaurant. Got that meal for free. The next year I went to Wingers and bit into a boneless buffalo wing only to find it was kinda tough. I scraped the sauce and breading off and took a close look. Raw chicken! That was pretty gross. It was the all you can eat boneless wings and let's just say I didn't get many more down after that.

You say you are a college student. Maybe it was a prank from a roommate?

17. MisterHXC macrumors newbie

MisterHXC

Wait, I once did find a nest of moths in a box of Macaroni. I still shudder when I think of that

18. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I used to eat the carrot cake ones so they weren't too dark. Anyway luckily it wasn't IN it, just on the outside in the wrapper. I was just about to bite into the bar too. Ugh.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think I posted this (at least) once before, but since you asked for it... :D

P1250023.jpg

Strawberries and blueberries straight from the fridge, anyone...?

20. sunrise macrumors newbie

I was in a pizza restaurant in Denver. Took a tasty bite, swallowed it. Felt something on my lip. It was a hair. I pulled it out of my mouth. It was maybe 9 inches long. As it came out, it drew up a blob of cheese from inside my throat.

Did I get my pizza free? Nope. When I called the waitress over and dangled the hair-with-cheese-glob in front of her, her only response was, "That's not MY hair!"

21. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I once ate a Frube (a yoghurt in a tube,not sure if they're available outside in the UK)http://graphics.fangrock.co.uk/doctor_who/DrWho_Frube2.jpg

Anyway, when you have one of those you have to commit, but I hadn't realised that they were out of date. I got a mouthful of rotten yoghurt, probably one of the worst things I have ever tasted in my life.

Another time, my family was sitting down for dinner. We had some organic peas in the pod from Zimbabwe or something like that and about half way through the meal we realised there was a little caterpillar inside each one. I have no idea how many little caterpillars I ate.

22. klymr macrumors 65816

You ever had a sunflower seed that tasted a little off, your know, bitter? That is usually a worm inside the shell. It's not as common with pesticides these days, but you still find them. Don't believe me? Go buy a bag and comb over them, pulling out all the ones with little holes in the shell. Crack it open with your fingers and see if you get a prize inside. I found one once (the hard way) and it kinda grossed me out, for a few minutes. Then I got right back to snacking on my seeds. They've been cooked after all.

23. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

You are soooo soooooooo lucky! Either that, or you don't eat out a lot.;)

I used to eat out all the time, and loved eating out at restaurants, but that all changed one hot summer day when I decided to go and get a nice cool soda from the local Dairy Queen....

It was with much anticipation that I pulled into the drive thru and gave my order to the person at the other end of the menu. Impatiently, I waited in line until it was finally my turn to pull up to the window. When I finally got there and reached out to accept my soda, I was exposed to a reality that would forever change the way I viewed fast food...............Coming out of the window............along with my "delicious" soda, was a hand that was covered with and dripping blood.:eek: That soda lost any semblance of being delicious when I realized that the cook had sliced his hand on a sharp piece of ice while reaching into the ice-chest to dip some into my glass. I fled away from that restaurant with visions of hepatitis, aids, and other blood borne diseases flickering through my mind.

Since then, I have observed other restaurants and seen that almost every one of them get the ice into the glasses by dipping it with their bare hands. Needless to say, now whenever I go somewhere to eat out, I always carry a bottled drink along!:D

24. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Dude! you need to clean your fridge more often.:eek:

25. protozoa macrumors regular

A fly stuck to the side of a french fry at a Hardees. That was years ago and it still grosses me out.

Someone mentioned that they were a vegetarian, and had found meat in their food. I'm also a vegetarian, and I can't remember how many times that has happened to me too. Particularly when it involves asking for a dish that normally has meat. If it's a place where the menu items are partially pre-assembled, you're going to get a "scrape off" and it rarely works 100%. Finding meat in a meal is pretty close to finding dung in it for me.

Not long ago, I got a salad "to go" from a pizza place. They always include a couple slices of thick toast. One of the slices had a bite taken out of it. There was no doubt that was what it was... a perfect half-moon shaped bite.