National Pancake Day is here!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Go get your free pancakes folks at IHOP.
Since beginning its National Pancake Day celebration in 2006, IHOP has raised more than $3.25 million to support charities in the communities in which it operates. While IHOP's National Pancake Day typically takes place on Shrove Tuesday, this year the company will host its free pancake event on Tuesday, February 23, extending the fundraising window by one week to maximize donations for Children's Miracle Network. With your help, we hope to raise $5 million in five years for Children's Miracle Network and other local charities through your donations in 2010!

Known also as Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras, National Pancake Day dates back several centuries to when the English prepped for fasting during Lent. Strict rules prohibited the eating of all dairy products during Lent, so pancakes were made to use up the supply of eggs, milk, butter and other dairy products...hence the name Pancake Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Lemon & sugar FTW or pecan syrup. Either way I don't have time to go to IHOP but I'll live vicariously through those who do.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Lemon & sugar FTW or pecan syrup. Either way I don't have time to go to IHOP but I'll live vicariously through those who do.
Butter Pecan syrup mmmmmmm drools.... Ihop pancakes are my weakness I've been on this diet and excercise regimen for 2 months but I may have to cheat today :D

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I've never liked pancakes...
The thick American style ones are vile and sit in my stomach for hours after eating. The pancakes they have over here in the UK are thin, more like crepes, and much more digestible. I still don't care for them, though.

MoleSkine

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
New York!
Yummmmm I LOVE PANCAKKESSSS :):)

Sometimes even have it for dinner.

I top it with Nutella or jam w/butter and pour on the Eggo syrup....I want some now!!!

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i really would refuse to eat in this establishment because of the people that normally eat there and the eating conditions.

I tend to not like eating in places where you have no privacy, and you are like seated right up on complete strangers who are loud and disgusting.

I dont consider myself privileged or anything, I just prefer eating in private homes or private dining rooms.

I never eat fast food, nor the Chilis of the world for that exact reason.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
i really would refuse to eat in this establishment because of the people that normally eat there and the eating conditions.

I tend to not like eating in places where you have no privacy, and you are like seated right up on complete strangers who are loud and disgusting.

I dont consider myself privileged or anything, I just prefer eating in private homes or private dining rooms.

Awesome, turn this into a PRSI thread so you can throw your tantrum about eating in public. In my opinion most of the way you respond to things shows that you do find yourself privileged but you have a right to your opinion, of course.

No one says you have to eat pancakes, I for one would love some if I had time to leave work right now. :D

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Awesome, turn this into a PRSI thread so you can throw your tantrum about eating in public. In my opinion most of the way you respond to things shows that you do find yourself privileged but you have a right to your opinion, of course.

No one says you have to eat pancakes, I for one would love some if I had time to leave work right now. :D
I am not privileged, I am just lazy
I want them delivered :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

So you don't eat at restaurants ever? How sad.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Lemon+sugar on thin pancakes, where the edges crisp up. That would be lovely right about now.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Lemon & sugar hhhmmm sounds interesting, never heard of this topping for pancakes... Gonna have to try it :p

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden

Weird comment. You seem to be something of a misanthropist (or a teenager). "The people that normally eat there"? Who are "those people" and what makes you so much better?

Eating in public is fun! Loud and disgusting are just one of the many combinations of people you find at restaurants. Go there to view the spectacular variety of human types if you must be the anthropologist!

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Weird comment. You seem to be something of a misanthropist (or a teenager). "The people that normally eat there"? Who are "those people" and what makes you so much better?

Eating in public is fun! Loud and disgusting are just one of the many combinations of people you find at restaurants. Go there to view the spectacular variety of human types if you must be the anthropologist!
I once went to an IHOP up north. You go in any IHOP on a saturday morning and look around. That is what I mean by "those people". Each restaurant is the same, no matter. Granted I've been to a diner 2 times in 7 years. Not a big "go out to eat breakfast" person.

I dont see any fun in watching the spectacular variety of human types (while eating food). Food is the key here. If anything, you can get plenty of human specimen observation in any club in Miami.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I once went to an IHOP up north. You go in any IHOP on a saturday morning and look around. That is what I mean by "those people". Each restaurant is the same, no matter. Granted I've been to a diner 2 times in 7 years. Not a big "go out to eat breakfast" person.

I dont see any fun in watching the spectacular variety of human types (while eating food). Food is the key here. If anything, you can get plenty of human specimen observation in any club in Miami.
You really still haven't explained what "those people" are. Do you mean people with mouths, perfect for eating pancakes? Families? Hung over teenagers? Grandparents with their grandkids?

Your reason for posting seems to be to create controversy out of a perfectly innocent topic....

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yum, I had pancakes for breakfast yesterday. If only I had know about today.:( Come on jessica. how about some advanced notice next time!?!:mad:

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
I wouldn't take culinary advice from a Brit. Just sayin'.

:D
You might have wanted to quote the first post in the thread, since the whole thing's about an old English tradition. Tradition, of course, being something the USA might just develop in a few more hundred years! :D

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Hear that everyone? More for us!!!!!

Seriously, dude, get over yourself.