Navigation getting better with each beta. This is what I hope they include in final..

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CavemanUK, Jul 23, 2012.

1. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

still has bugs but its definately a very nice solid sat-nav. heres a list of things i would love to see in the final release

• Night driving mode - not enough to just dim the display. dark coloured maps would be better.
    • volume/voice settings in app rather than in settings menu - if bluetooth has an option on the map, this should too.
    • fully preload route to avoid data black spots
    • slightly more angle to help see turns down a long straight
    • UK A-Roads using green directions and M roads using Blue

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I've been using Apple maps alot this weekend and the rerouting was almost instant. Really love it.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Features I'd like to see added:
    • Current Speed
    • ETA
    • Compass Heading

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

ETA is shown in Maps on iOS 6 :)

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

No it isn't.
    It gives you the estimated travel time at the time that you plan the route but it never updates.
    If you hit traffic or stop off somewhere the ETA should update.

6. ihonda macrumors 68000

ran into a small issue today around cleveland, the screen showed me stuck on i-77 but the voice prompts were correct when telling me to turn except it was confusing when trying to get down to the flats. i ended the route and re-did it, worked again showing me exact streets. but yes its getting better each beta.

7. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

ETA is shown if you touch the screen plus you can ask siri "are we there yet" to be told how long till you get there.

Current speed and compass heading would be cool.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes it is, as another poster has confirmed. If you tap on the map while navigating, ETA will appear. It does in fact update throughout he drive as you hit traffic, reroute, etc...

9. Kennysmoothx macrumors newbie

A GREAT feature would be to ask Siri for a place on the route to your destination.

For instance, "Find me a McDonalds on the Route Home".

I could've sworn I saw something like this mentioned in the keynote I could be wrong though.

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yeah it does do that. If you say "Find a McDonald's" while in turn-by-turn it'll automatically find easiest and closest ones to get to on the current route.

11. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

This would be awesome. Tried it and it didn't work but I think that's because we haven't got the full maps/pois yet.

12. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

You shouldn't have to do that. Google navigation on android updates that automatically.

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:D Are you actually surprised that Apple has a more minimal display than Google?

14. Cybbe macrumors 6502

15. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I've thought about this feature on GPS's, but if we're in a car anyways, we already have the speedometer . . .

16. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Still, pretty much every navigation program ever has had this feature. Its not acceptable that apple leave it out.

17. Bishwasher macrumors regular

What's with all your random short posts with pictures that come up as a red question mark in a white box on my iPhone?? I've found about half a dozen so far all from around 4:45ish this morning.

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It does show and update automatically...

[​IMG]

19. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

What's with your reply to someone that didn't even post in this thread?

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Current Speed, Speed Limit & 'safety' camera alert is a must really... i know 'safety camera' alert is illegal in some EU countries but for those where it's not.. it should be added in.

21. Morrus macrumors member

He's replying to a spambot whose posts have since been deleted by a moderator.

22. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Thanks Morrus. I knew I hadn't imagined the posts:). I checked the profile just after posting my reply and found they had posted in 25 different threads since signing up this morning but couldn't find them just now.

23. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Yep, I agree. There are GPS units that allow you to find POIs and ask how close you are to your destination with your voice. If Apple gave Siri such abilities and allowed Maps to work in the backcountry, people could throw out their GPS units.

24. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

What's the point of having turn by turn navigation if I can't throw out my GPS unit? I would hope that a 2012 version of turn by turn navigation is superior to my standalone Garmin from 2006 or so. I don't see any point in the whole maps overhaul if the end result is something that is only 90% as good as the GPS that I already have. If that's the case, then I'd MUCH rather just have my Google maps app instead of Apple maps that has inferior cartography to Google maps and inferior directions, routing and points of interest to my Garmin.

25. Sh4wN macrumors regular

Siri is able to do this already. When you ask for a gas station it searches for something close to your route, when asking how far you're out it will tell you the time left.