Navigation - Waypoints?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by 8a22a, Oct 10, 2012.

1. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I don't think there's a way to set waypoints on Maps is there?

If you wanted you stop off at certain points or take an unusual route.

I suppose you'd have to break it up into separate routes, right?

2. redman042 macrumors 68020

The navigation UI for Apple Maps takes the "keep it simple" approach (as with anything else Apple does). As far as I can tell:

• You can only have one destination at a time.
    • You cannot customize your route. You can pick one of the three routes it offers you (it only does this when more than one reasonable route is available).
    • While actively navigating to a destination, if you ask Siri to find something (gas station, burrito, whatever) it will assume you want locations along the route.
    • Siri will drop pins for these locations on the overview map, and if you tap one you can add it as an interim destination. I believe it resumes your original route afterwards, but I am not certain.

3. Huntn, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Disclaimer: Do not confuse me for an iOS expert. Just got my iPhone.

That is my impression. However, there could be several routes shown. And after seeing what route Apple Maps will create, the route can be indirectly changed by touching the map along the way you really want to go, which will cause a purple pin to drop on the map. Now you can navigate to the new point and then from there, navigate to your destination.

Note, even with dedicated GPS units you have to be careful about setting waypoints and I rarely use them. For example if you use a larger city that includes a beltway, you would not want to have downtown set as a waypoint, unless you specifically want to see downtown.

For the local experts, is there a better way to do (suedo) waypoints using Apple Maps?

4. Brazuca macrumors regular

I wonder if Apple will ever add this. Could be via Siri ("make a stop at XXXX" or "navigate to Point A and then to Point B")

As for me, I have never, not once, used waypoints in all my years of using navigation. It was always too complicated to set up, and I have commitment issues with routes.

For me: Navigate to Point A. When I get there: Navigate to Point B. With Siri, this is dead simple. No need to fudge around with addresses on a bad touchscreen (shaking fist at TomTom).

5. 8a22a thread starter macrumors 6502a

8a22a

This is the situation I have.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349973021.134547.jpg

Although a lot longer, My preferred route would to go due East towards the purple pin then straight down the A1(M) to avoid Bradford and Leeds city centres.

6. Brazuca macrumors regular

This is something I found on my DC-NY trip as well. I wanted to take a particular route that was not one of the 3 options shown.

I doubt Apple will add an option to customize your route (doesn't seem in their MO), but you could either ask it to "navigate to purple pin" and then "navigate to destination", or simply start driving on your route. It will adjust.

I would be nice to ask it to avoid certain areas, but then again, if you want a full-fledged navigation system, you are probably better off with a 3rd party option.

edit: Waze says they learn users' preferred routes. I wonder if Apple has this built in also. Could be a simple option to go on a "preferred" route, instead of one of the 3 automatic ones.