Navigon 1.5

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sjdigital, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sjdigital macrumors regular

I see over on the Navigon Facebook page that they are launching 1.5 at MacWorld next week. Wonder what will be added

2. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Be interesting to see what they have in store for us next for sure. Where is their facebook page? I remember searching for it on the with no luck.

3. sjdigital thread starter macrumors regular

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Just came here wondering when the next update was going to be. Thanks for the link!

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Wonder if 1.6 will have iPad specific controls/display? I'm in such a conundrum abut whether to get the wi-fi or 3G. :D

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

LOL I can see a tidal wave of 10" iPad sitting on people's dashbaords now, hahahah. Yikes accidents galore

8. newkidonthebloc macrumors newbie

I wonder if Navigon would work on iPad since it only has assisted GPS..:confused: .. or does the 3G model have GPS?

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Only has Assisted GPS?:confused:

Yes, because Assisted GPS is GPS plus Assisted cell phone triangulation. So Assisted GPS is more than GPS not ("only") less. The iPhone 3G/3GS both have this and so will the iPad 3G,

10. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Only the 3G model has GPS, or as you pointed out Assisted GPS, which is BETTER than plain old GPS.

It's the same thing that's in the 3G and 3GS.

The wifi model doesn't have any GPS.

11. navguy macrumors regular

here's some pure speculation and hope for ...

- easier access to route listing from map screen
    - block a segment on route listing
    - direction & distance on Google Search results (and telephone # !!)
    - "On Current Route" for Google Search results
    - use of Navteq Traffic Pattern data

... and for all my 3G friends, much improved user experience!! :D:D

12. wilco440 macrumors newbie

wilco440

Speaking of "assisted" GPS, is there any way that the triangulation part can be turned of. Here in Australia we can buy unlocked iPhones (on 3G), and so I run mine without a plan, and just top up the prepaid whenever its necessary.

Since I've been playing with Navigon I've noticed that it bites into my prepaid, rapidly. Nothing else would be doing this as I hardly ever use the phone for calls, SMS etc, but as soon as I use GPS (at least with Navigon, with and without being in a TomTom car mount) my prepaid takes a sudden nosedive.....

Anyone else seen GPS doing the same thing?

13. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Let's just hope the last feature in the updated feature list does not state:

"Now, totally unusable on an iPhone 3G" :mad: Seriously, if the performance decreases even further, it's 100% Tomtom for me; at least until I'm eligible for an upgrade this fall.

14. skillz1318 macrumors regular

+1...I have a 3G and Navigon is almost unusable in it's current form.

15. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Not part of 1.5 but they just announced that UK traffic has gone live for those that bought it as part of EU maps. In App update submitted to apple for the British Isles version.

wonder if we will get the discount like the EU version got......

16. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Hoping for a re-routing feature similar to TomTom :)

17. Sebby macrumors 6502a

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Navigon on my 3G is tight like a pickle jar. Never an issue, and its quick to boot. All my friends too, thy never have a problem. Quick transitions, text entering etc....I wonder why some experience negatives, maybe its their phones??!??!:confused:

19. hyptest macrumors newbie

Do you have traffic turned on?

20. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I've had 3 3G's ;) due to a number of other issues. None of them ran Navigon up to what I consider acceptable levels. Slow interface, delay in TTS, completely unusable iPod controls. Perhaps your perception of quick\usable is different than others. Everything else on my phone runs as it should, including Tomtom, which runs as well as any built in app. Again, as I've said in other posts, I WANT to like Navigon. The interface and features are great. However, in it's current state, it is not designed, IMO, to be used on a 3G, which is a shame, as I believe the 3GS was not even available when Navigon was first released.

Considering there are a number of other GPS apps that work just fine, I can only assume the devs used some very, very sloppy code for Navigon. Hopefully this gets improved in the next release. I've also written to them on a few occasions, including posting on their Facebook page, and have yet to ever have a response regarding 3G performance. They seem to be very quick to respond to praise, and even ask for it when they want to ratings in best GPS app polls. (Makes me sorry I ever gave them my money)>

21. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I want more voices - I'm tired of her pronouncing Baltimore as Barrymore.

22. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Well, I'm in San Francisco area right now, and I will be on the 9th, maybe I'll go check this thing out!

23. navguy macrumors regular

can i say, i am lovin Navigon's update schedule ... almost monthly!

Rock on Navigon! :D:D

24. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

I have a 3GS and have never experienced any of what you are mentioning. Wonder if it has to do with hardware differences in the 3G vs the 3GS.