Navigon AG...any success?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Chizzled, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Chizzled macrumors member

Hey you guys,

I just bought the Navigon App hoping it would be of use while riding my motorcycle. I've owned a Navigon GPS over the last few years and have been extremely happy with it, so I thought I'd give the app a go. Lets just say I am extremely let down.

The voice commands are way off. It starts off good, then the commands either stop all together, or go way off track. It will tell me to turn right in 1 mile then a second later say turn right in .1 mile. Neither command is accurate.

I dont know how the directions given over the screen are because I keep the phone out of sight. i rely solely on voice command.

Anyone else have the same problem, any success out there, or solutions? I'd hate to think I just wasted $75.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

There are some on the MR forums with great success (I'm one), and then others are having GPS signal lock 'fading', and some in the same boat as you as per what has been posted in snippets in various threads.

FWIW, I've no major issues of using it all, mostly over areas of TX, rural and urban, ever since the app was released. My father (72 years young with an iPhone), has had good success in Louisiana, also rural and urban areas, over the past week.

Both of us are on 3.0 software. Both iPhones setup as new recently (within a week or so), his stayed that way as it was his new Toy, mine was restored from a backup after that. Both of us using cases (him the Speck ToughSkin, me the SwitchEasy Capsule NEO). Both of us using a window mount (Kensington Car mount for iPod), and both using an external XTREMEMAC charger. IOW, the iPhone has a very clear view of the sky, and is powered (don't know if that matters). His iPhone is my previous year old 3G 16gb. Mine is a new 3GS 16gb.

It couldn't hurt to look at these steps from the Navigon website:

Navion iPhone - Improve GPS Signal FAQ

Definitely keep posting the steps/process you try, and, if any, improvements!

3. tasset macrumors 6502a

I had signal lock-on issues too with Navigon, and can report greater success the past few days after trying a couple of different solutions other than those posted by m3coolpix:
    1) reset network settings in the General>network>reset menu
    2) possibly, maaaybe.. your phone is jailbroken?

I'm not saying it is 100% a root cause, but mine was jailbroken and after reading a couple other threads that certain configurations might have altered location settings. So I restored.
    All I know is that mine seems to be working way better after doing the above.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I couldn't be happier with Navigon! The price was right too!

6. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I wasn't entirely forthcoming with my complete software setup on the 3GS iPhone, sorry about that. My 3GS 16gb running 3.0 (not 3.0.1) software is also jailbroken.

My exact steps were, get home from Apple Store, set it up in iTunes as a new iPhone, restore the backup from the 3G iPhone made about 2 hours earlier. Then, I used purplera1n. Then, I loaded iBlacklist, Reminder, SBSettings, Winterboard, and the Aquoah Winterboard theme. I only use those apps, as my iPhone is my business phone. I rarely have time to 'play' with all the stuff from the App Store that I've purchased, much less time to do my own theming and installing this and that via Cydia.

After those apps, I've not installed any other Cydia based software.

Resetting the Network Settings is another great point. Several Apple notes talk about doing this just for battery life alone, as well as a few other last resort issues with location services.

I also can say that there is a difference in the speed of the initial GPS lock of using the SwitchEasy Capsule NEO case versus using my 3GS with no case. It's mere seconds some of the time upon Navigon loading, but it's there. I don't think I'm imagining it, but I've not put a stopwatch to it. Once locked, either with the SwitchEasy or with no case, I've not lost the GPS signal (or at least the top bar hasn't turned red). I've got a new case on the way, a Speck Candyshell. Was going to do a comparison of no case, SwitchEasy Capsule NEO, and then the Speck Candyshell and start a new thread about the experience, if it proved to be worth it.

HTH.

7. tasset macrumors 6502a

That's pretty interesting that yours is jailbroken. Mine was jailbroken with purplera1n too, and I sooo miss backgrounder.
    After restoring and resetting network settings my gps locks on really quick now. Would love to jb again just wish I knew what the source of my problems was. Great tips by the way.

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

My iPhone has never jailbroken and i still have issues with Navigon's signal.

[​IMG]

9. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Sheez, getting forgetful these days. Yes, Backgrounder is loaded on my setup also.

The only reason I JB these days is for those apps. I don't even browse Cydia anymore.

10. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

PIKA, have you tried any of the steps in the Navigon FAQ?

11. Chizzled thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I have been a very happy Navigon customer in the past, so I was shocked to have such problems. I went and just finished the backup, erase content and settings, then restored as Navigon suggested. Also, I will reset network settings since you all claimed that helped as well.

My phone is jailbroken also. I have Cydia, winterboard, backgounder, sbsettings, lock calendar, bosspaper, and five icon dock. I dont think any of those apps would cause a problem, but I may do another restore and unjailbreak my phone if I keep having problems.

I guess I have to be fair and say that my phone stays in my pant pocket when I ride. I didnt think it would mess up my GPS signal too bad, if any at all. Maybe I will have to find a way to mount it to my bike?

I will give it another shot tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. Im glad to hear that there are success stories out there after all. Navigon has been good to me in the past, I wouldn't think that would end now.

Thanks again you guys!

12. tasset macrumors 6502a

Hope you find an acceptable solution! I was frustrated for a few days to the point I had booked a Genius Bar appt for an exchange. But ended up doing a restore and things seem to be ok.
    You might check mountguys.com for some reasonably priced bike mounts or get one of those Griffin Windowseat units and make some modifications.

13. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

That could be the major contributor to the problem. When you are riding, depending on the bike style, your arm or torso is most likely directly above your iPhone. The iPhone needs all the help it can get with a clear shot to the sky.

A restore if you're not jailbroken isn't a big deal like on the original iPhone.

And that domain name is funny :D.

14. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Yes i did! I reset everything and reinstall Navigon and it give me the same message! Why google map and google earth and starmap pro work soo well but navigon dont. :(

What more can i do? Try to climb up a tree?

15. Chizzled thread starter macrumors member

Update

Allright you guys, after following the steps provided by Navigon in order to get a better GPS signal, I gave it another shot.

The weather is bad today, so I used it while driving my car instead of riding my motorcycle. I kept my phone in plain view and was able to watch the map along with following the voice commands. I am relieved and happy to say that it worked GREAT! I was on a military installation when I started navigating, and was surprised to see it was accurate. Normally GPS doesnt work well on military installations and this one was perfect. I took a few turns off route and the GPS rerouted me within 10-20 seconds tops.

I decided to put it in my pocket and see if it would continue to work. Once again, it failed to work. I was coming up on a turn I needed to take to get me home, I pulled the phone out of my pocket and I saw a red bar on the screen; however, immediately after I pulled it out, it caught a GPS signal and told me to take a left turn in 200 feet. Basically, I found out that my troubles yesterday came from the phone being in my pocket. I will just have to find a way to mount it on my bike.

I am so relieved to find the program works absolutely fine when it is in view of the sky. It worked better than my 3 year old Navigon. The UI is much nicer and it rerouted me super fast.

Thanks for all your help and I hope that everyone else will come out with as good of results as I! :D

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I don't recall you said you kept it in your pocket (facepalm). We could have avoided alot of bandwith use. GPS's work better when they can receive the signal from the satellites (i.e. with an UNOBSTRUCTED) view of the sky).

17. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Great to know the steps worked for you. Thanks for the update.

18. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Hmm....I really don't know what to ask you to try if you've done all the steps in the Navigon FAQ, as it worked for the OP, Chizzled.

Is your iPhone in a case? Do you have any type of skin/cover/shield on it? Have you had any signal acquisition ever with Navigon?

19. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Honnestly I've never had any signal acquisition with Navigon

My 32GB iPhone 3GS is covered with an OtterBox and I'm very afaid to scratch it:

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Confused....

21. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

22. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I realized that I had to be on the road in order for it to work. Not on my garden or in my garage.

23. jacobgaul macrumors regular

navigon works great on my 32gb 3gs i used it the other day for toledo, i plan on using the igo my way nav app for a trip to cleveland this coming week. ive got 3 nav apps, navigon, igo my way and that one that starts with a S

24. fredf macrumors 6502

Let us know about iGo as soon as you can.

25. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

My brother says these help him help get a better gps signal...
    * start you gps app with the iPhone stationary with an unobstructed view of the sky so it can lock onto as many satellites as possible.

*Some car windows seem to block signals. So, test by using unit outside to see if you get better signal acquisition.