NBC Streaming Service 'Peacock' Launching for Some Comcast Customers Tomorrow

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NBCUniversal's streaming service, Peacock, is launching for free to some Comcast customers tomorrow, reports Reuters.

The service, which has been in the works for quite some time, will see a wide launch in July 2020 with upwards of 7,500 hours of programming that includes NBC shows and Universal movies, but it is launching early for some Comcast customers.

Peacock will feature a library of existing TV shows and movies like "30 Rock" and "Jurassic Park," along with a limited slate of original TV shows. Peacock is also set to include live sports access, curated shorts, breaking news coverage, and more. Providing access to live sports and live news will allow NBC to differentiate the Peacock service from Disney+, Netflix, and Apple TV+.

People who subscribe to Comcast's Xfinity X1 or Flex TV services will be able to access Peacock Premium for free starting Wednesday. The Premium package will include more than 15,000 hours of content.

Peacock Premium will launch for everyone on July 15 and it will cost $5 per month. A free version will also be available in July, but it won't have quite as much content, and there will be an ad-free tier as well that's priced at $10 per month.

Article Link: NBC Streaming Service 'Peacock' Launching for Some Comcast Customers Tomorrow

Last edited:

Mdracer

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
Hooray! I can't wait to add this to my current subscription lineup, Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN+, Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Go and of course the regular local programming. I am saving a ton of money now that I cut the cord.

danny842003

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
Hooray! I can't wait to add this to my current subscription lineup, Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN+, Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Go and of course the regular local programming. I am saving a ton of money now that I cut the cord.
There’s no requirement to have them all you know? I think any sane person who cut the cord is still saving money, I know I am. I’m currently saving a lot now as I was able to cancel my sports subscription which is currently worthless due to the plague.
Currently spending about $20au as opposed to $90, even with sports I was only paying about $45.

BGPL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2016
California
Interesting - the $5 "premium" tier package is ad supported. CBS has just enough for me to justify their subscription service, and it has 4-5 shows I watch regularly. In the list that NBC was peacocking, I didn't see anything I couldn't live without. To top it off, their showcase movie is Jurassic Park. Gonna be a hard pass here for now, but maybe they'll come up with some good original programming.

I'm running Netflix, Hulu, Prime, CBS, Disney Plus and Apple TV+. Cord cutting still netted me a cost savings, but it isn't going as well as I had hoped. I only watch one hour a day so I can probably stand to cut a few out when the promo periods end. I also didn't throw in my OTR HD antennas connected to my Amazon Recast DVR.

Last edited:

themovieposterguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
Interesting - the $5 "premium" tier package is ad supported. CBS has just enough for me to justify their subscription service, and it has 4-5 shows I watch regularly. In the list that NBC was peacocking, I didn't see anything I couldn't live without. To top it off, their showcase movie is Jurassic Park. Gonna be a hard pass here for now, but maybe they'll come up with some good original programming.

Pretty sure Jurassic Park is the greatest film of all time... but...

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I’m just happy that DirecTV premier customers get HBO Max free. That’s coming in May. With all these different services that have back catalogs of content it’s hard to see how Apple TV+ gains traction. I don’t plan on subscribing to it when my free year is up.

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
meh, netflix and prime are still the most worth having for new stuff and showtime and hob have thew best originals outside of that. old shows and movies I couldn't care less about. I have hulu and Apple TV+ for free so I can occasionally check out a show on those. I liked See and Servant on Apple TV but the rest of it I could live without. and Huly I just used fro Castlerock and handmaidens tale

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Comcast is wise to bundle complementary Peacock's ad-supported tier to their Internet customers. Granted, their Internet is overpriced by a lot, especially when you factor in 1 TB data cap (temporarily removed during COVID-19).

Reactions: Twinsbb17

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Too much is too much, as the launch of Quibi has shown!
nobody cares about quibi because The concept is dumb and it doesn’t have much of anything. Peacock on the other hand does/will, just like most of these big services.
- - Post merged: - -

Soooo FlexTV, isn’t that the box you can get for free with Comcast internet?

I don’t want it, but does that mean they’re actually going to give this to Comcast internet users for free, not just cable? If so, that would be the first good thing they’ve ever done for me lol

Comcast is wise to bundle complementary Peacock's ad-supported tier to their Internet customers. Granted, their Internet is overpriced by a lot, especially when you factor in 1 TB data cap (temporarily removed during COVID-19).
so this will be free for us people who JUST have internet? Hopefully omndevices other than that flex? If so, that’s actually cool. I want Amber Ruffan’s show, if that’s still happening and I’m sure there will be other things.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
Sounds like it!!!
Weren’t cable packages like $70-100/mo. w/ one to three year draconian contracts... & you still must suffer ads?
You named like $35-50/mo. of premium content w/ no commercials.

I know your comment was only meant in jest, but whether the streaming options settle down to around 15-20 possible choices, or if there are permanently dozens and dozens of highly specific curated channels in the future... either paradigm is so much more ridiculously better than cable.
The price is only a small part.
Removing advertisements from your entertainment life to most has a value.
The ability to cancel/sign up again at a whim with no hassles or penalties is another biggie. No equipment installation/strangers working in your home/landlord permission for satellites, etc. seems like an enormous plus.
Honestly, with all the benefits of streaming vs. cable it’s almost unfathomable that it’s half the price, not double- it’s well more than “twice as good”, in my opinion.

Reactions: Wags

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Live sports streaming will be a big factor for many people. Thus far there has not been a good way to cut the cable and continue having live sports.. without forking over an arm and a leg.
I think can still save with Hulu live or YouTube tv. Don’t need to pay for cable boxes, broadcast surcharges, regional sports surcharge and etc. All ‘ unearned ‘ charges. If don’t want/need live sports or live tv then lots to be saved.

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
nobody cares about quibi because The concept is dumb and it doesn’t have much of anything. Peacock on the other hand does/will, just like most of these big services.

Soooo FlexTV, isn’t that the box you can get for free with Comcast internet?

I don’t want it, but does that mean they’re actually going to give this to Comcast internet users for free, not just cable? If so, that would be the first good thing they’ve ever done for me lol

so this will be free for us people who JUST have internet? Hopefully omndevices other than that flex? If so, that’s actually cool. I want Amber Ruffan’s show, if that’s still happening and I’m sure there will be other things.
Probably you need the flex box to get it with comcast internet?

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
As long as you request free Flex set top box from Comcast, yeah. You will need to return it when you cancel Comcast Internet, of course. But it's free at just about every Internet-only tiers.

I would prefer either tvOS app or Apple TV Channels though.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Live sports streaming will be a big factor for many people. Thus far there has not been a good way to cut the cable and continue having live sports.. without forking over an arm and a leg.
My understanding is that this won’t give you all the live sports you get on NBC Sports. More like the “extras” — not broadcast on cable — that they used to offer via NBC Gold. So no substitute for most people who, for example, seriously follow the English Premier League.

brofkand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2006
I hope that Peacock carries NBC Sports. That and Fox Sports 1 are literally the only reason we still have a linear video subscription (currently Hulu Live) in our home.

Mdracer

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
Sounds like it!!!
Weren’t cable packages like $70-100/mo. w/ one to three year draconian contracts... & you still must suffer ads?
You named like $35-50/mo. of premium content w/ no commercials.

I know your comment was only meant in jest, but whether the streaming options settle down to around 15-20 possible choices, or if there are permanently dozens and dozens of highly specific curated channels in the future... either paradigm is so much more ridiculously better than cable.
The price is only a small part.
Removing advertisements from your entertainment life to most has a value.
The ability to cancel/sign up again at a whim with no hassles or penalties is another biggie. No equipment installation/strangers working in your home/landlord permission for satellites, etc. seems like an enormous plus.
Honestly, with all the benefits of streaming vs. cable it’s almost unfathomable that it’s half the price, not double- it’s well more than “twice as good”, in my opinion.
I guess also forgot to add in my required internet payment to it all.

Jesting I am. I removed ads but now have to cycle my search through all the apps for the content. These are true first world problems though, it is great to have so many options.

Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
None of the original content will go away if you leave for a while. Just pick a choose a couple that has something interesting each month and pause the subscription after you finish watching what you came for.

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah getting all the nba games has been a pain, even when I was on dtv/atttv now what with the nonsensical blackouts. But I finally cancelled my grandfathered package after they kept raising the price, and I’m going to replace it with some individual services. I cut the internet cord, so to speak. Outside of sports and the hbo add-on, I wasn’t making great use of it anyway. But in order to get all the nba games, I have to sign up for sling orange, nba tv, and use antenna for abc games. It’s a couple hoops (no pun intended) I have to jump through but it’s worth it. It still comes out cheaper than what I was paying for atttv now, plus I can cancel during the off season or whenever I’m too busy to watch, and re-sign up. Makes me a little upset how much money I wasted because I didn’t want to let go of that grandfathered package.
Anyway, I’m pretty interested in what peacock will offer, particularly in the way of live sports.

Cutting the cord isn’t the sensible choice for everyone. It’s for people who have very low demands for entertainment. As demands go up, it makes more and more sense to keep bundled cable.

BF1M

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2018
Hopefully it's not as bad as CBS All Access. How do you not have the whole run of your own shows?!

Reactions: KrispE00
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.