NBCUniversal's Streaming Service to Launch April 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After first announcing plans to launch a standalone streaming service back in January, Comcast and NBCUniversal today have revealed that this service is set to launch in April 2020 (via The Verge).

The news was given during the company's earnings call today, where CEO Steve Burke also confirmed that the streaming service will be built on a similar platform to Sky's Now TV streaming service in the UK. Because of this, it's believed that NBCUniversal's service will likely host content from Sky Studios, which Comcast also now owns after its acquisition of Sky in 2018.

According to the company, the "vast majority" of content on the NBCUniversal service will initially be from third-party production companies, and not original shows and films. The major addition to the service will be The Office, which will be removed from Netflix in 2020 and exclusively housed on NBC's streaming platform.

Standalone streaming services have become increasingly popular over the past few years, with many individual companies removing their content from services like Netflix and Hulu to host them on their own platform. Recent major announcements for new services include Disney+, HBO Max, and Apple's own upcoming Apple TV+ platform.

Article Link: NBCUniversal's Streaming Service to Launch April 2020

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Another 10-12 dollars here. All these streaming companies asking for your money will soon add up to the cost of a decent cable package. Then you may come across data caps for your ISP. I think I'll stick to Comcast, who has been good to me for the last 13 years, although my monthly double play package cost has gone up $50 bucks in those 13 years.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I presume this will be similar to CBS All Access with past NBC shows on the the service and potentially new and original content as well. I only subscribe to CBS All Access for The Twilight Zone and Strange Angel. After those shows are done, I cancel my subscription.

It's going to suck when The Office and Parks & Rec leave Netflix.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Man, at this point, might as well just keep Cable and Internet. I guess that was obviously their plan all along, but man.

I mean, I have:
YouTube TV
Netflix
Hulu
HBO Now

Disney is coming as well.
Only reason I haven’t moved back to cable is because they’d have to run physical lines if it’s Comcast. If they didn’t? Probably just go back.

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
A la carte services. Love it. More choices in the market is great. This is the reason I dropped bundled pay tv.

Reactions: Ballis

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
Buy the entire office series for 40 bucks on iTunes.

Ignore yet another over-priced streaming service.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

cylack

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
McAllen, TX
I like Netflix original content, far more than I have time to watch. I pay an extra $4 a month for the 4k version and my tmobile account subsidizes the rest. I don’t care about 10 year old shows like “The Office” which I’ve already seen and if I want to watch again are a click away for downloading from uh…”alternative sites”.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I read something the other day about how piracy is increasing again because people don't want to pay for 16 different services to watch certain shows. People are putting up private Plex servers that share media and are invite only. Just imagine how much worse it will be once this, Disney+, and Apple TV+ launches. They had a chance to make everything better and they effed it up.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Time to watch The Office before it’s gone!

Streaming services have become the new cable: same problems, different sources.
I think I’ve seen The Office complete series on iTunes for like $20.00 before, I’m sure it will go on sale again.

I have a feeling what we will be doing as a family is subscribe 1-2 streaming services. then for an odd show here and there that we really like we’ll just buy them, redbox, etc. We don’t need every show on the planet. even with just 1 streaming service today I have access to more shows than I’ve had with cable (When we had cable it was just to get the bundle deal on internet )

Reactions: motulist

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
All these networks are doing by splintering off is frustrating customers who already are overpaying and promoting piracy.

Reactions: Huck

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
no thanks. Netflix plus prime is all I need.

I hear a lot about Disney but don’t see the point. I have all the movies I like. Any worthwhile original series will take a few years or more.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Too many branches off services. Do they understand that it’s destined to fail? 48 streaming services at 10-20$ a pop. How do they expect their customers to keep up with all this nonsense. I like my alternative ways of getting a things anyway.

macizcool

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
There is an app called Tunes Genie that watches the iTunes store for sales. Make a wishlist of your favorite shows and buy them on sale.

I cut my DirecTV Now earlier this year with the price hikes. I don't watch enough quality TV to pay for that and streaming services. I realized for the price of all these streaming services, I can buy my favorites shows on iTunes. I did sign up for Hulu because it's affordable and it's good for playing random shows in the background while I'm on my MacBook.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
This is why I got an updated Blu Ray player. No one can take those disks away from me and many available from used book stores. Ultimately, anyone is who looking to save money will need to decide which shows they really want to watch and maybe let go of ones that are more marginal.

Vado

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
If they are building it based on Sky's Now TV Platform, it'll be doomed! The NowTV Apple TV app here in the UK is horrific and hasn't been updated in years, it still only streams in 720p and has 2-Channel Stereo.

It's miles behind the competition!

Reactions: nickgovier

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
This is why I got an updated Blu Ray player. No one can take those disks away from me and many available from used book stores. Ultimately, anyone is who looking to save money will need to decide which shows they really want to watch and maybe let go of ones that are more marginal.
Sadly, Blu-Ray seems to be on the path to destruction. Samsung has exited the market. Most companies have stopped making Blu-Ray for computers.

While your Blu-Ray library will work, UHD being incompatible certainly doesn't help. I wish MoviesAnywhere would support TV shows, because that's probably the future of "video ownership".

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So what content does NBC/Comcast own? If a show was on NBC but is owned by say, Warner Brothers (Friends, West Wing) will NBC get this content on their service or is AT&T saving it for their own service?

People can complain about cable/satellite all they want but it was much easier when you didn’t have to know who owned what you just had to know what channel it was on. By the time people subscribe to all these different streaming services and upgrade their internet service to cover all the streaming they’re going to do we’re getting to the same pricing as cable/satellite bundles today.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
How long before they switch to 1 year subscriptions to keep their users locked in. I personally just cancel a service once I finished the season of a show I liked. Makes no sense whatsoever to sign up to 5 different streaming services at a time. Truly idiots.