Nearly 100mb of data gone in one day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Philalbe, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Philalbe macrumors 6502

Hi. I have a 200mb data plan for my ATT iPhone. I used to be grandfathered in with unlimited, but when I realized the paltry amount of data I was using every month I downgraded to save a few bucks. I'm more than half way through my monthly billing cycle and was at about 108mb this morning. Around 6:45pm I received a text from ATT, saying I used 100% of my allotted data and was being charged an additional $15. I was trying to think what the heck could have caused this sudden spike in data use? Unless connected to wifi I intentionally avoid streaming music and news apps. The only thing I can think of is that when at a job site today, I tried to download 3 or 4 audio only podcasts, thinking they'd be tiny. But to my surprise got the "over 20mb" message from the built-in iTunes app. The podcasts were stuck in "waiting" mode. Could this be what ate up all my data? Thanks.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's hard to say what exactly was eating all your data. There's been stories of people's iPhones randomly eating through many MBs in the middle of the night, for example.

I would try to log into AT&T Mywireless and see what time the data was being consumed. Then you can try to remember what you were doing at the time.

Btw, if you tried downloading 3-4 podcasts and you got the 20+MB warning (assuming for one individual podcast), then I guess that is your answer.

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Probably. I never download anything over 3G. AT&T is going to rape you in data usage. I'm on the 2GB data and I hit 1.8GB average every month.. And that's me being careful. There's a lot of things that target data usage. And honestly, 100MB in 1 day is nothing.. I've done more than 1GB in a data. This was streaming Netflix. One movie. Sigh.. :cool:

The app I use to see where I'm at w/ data is called Data Usage. It's pretty cool.

4. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi guys. Thanks for the quick responses. My best guess is it was iTunes grinding away on those stalled downloads. I should have tried to right swipe, maybe it would have let me delete or cancel the downloads? I usually just sync my favorite podcasts but I had to leave the house a little early today. Lesson learned I suppose? :p

5. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Backdate your data plan this month to $25 so you'll pay $25 instead of $30 ($15 for 200MB + $15 for overage). Just a tip.

6. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info :)

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Opera Mini Browser
    +
    Pulse News Reader
    +
    Navigon

These 3 will guarantee that anyone would survive on 200mb/mo...