Nearly Half of All Smartwatches Shipped Last Quarter Were Apple Watches

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Watch was the world's most popular smartwatch by a significant margin last quarter, with an estimated 49.6 percent market share in the April-June period, according to data shared with MacRumors by research firm IDC.

[​IMG]

In other words, the Apple Watch accounted for just under half of all smartwatches shipped in the June quarter.

IDC estimates Apple Watch shipments totaled 3.4 million units in the quarter, well ahead of runner-up Samsung's estimated 800,000 smartwatches shipped. Garmin trailed in third place with an estimated 600,000 shipments.

[​IMG]
    IDC: worldwide smartwatch shipments (units in millions)

Strategy Analytics estimated Apple Watch shipments totaled 2.8 million units last quarter, which is 600,000 lower, so there is clearly some discrepancy between the datasets. As it stands, only Apple knows exactly how many watches it has sold.

Apple doesn't break out Apple Watch sales like it does with iPhones, iPads, and Macs. Instead, it groups the wearable under its "Other Products" category, alongside Apple TV, AirPods, Beats, iPods, and other accessories.

Apple reported "Other Products" revenue of $2.7 billion in the June quarter, representing year-over-year growth of 23 percent.

On a conference call in early August, Apple CEO Tim Cook did reveal that Apple Watch sales were up 50 percent in the June quarter.
    Quarterly smartwatch shipments totaled an estimated 6.9 million units overall, including 300,000 shipments by Fossil. IDC said it defines smartwatches as watches that can run third-party apps on the device itself.

IDC reports that Apple trailed Chinese company Xiaomi by 100,000 shipments in the overall wearables market, but the broader category consists of many inexpensive fitness trackers and bands with limited functionality.

"The transition towards more intelligent and feature-filled wearables is in full swing," said Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst for IDC. "For years, rudimentary fitness trackers have acted as a gateway to smartwatches and now we're at a point where brands and consumers are graduating to a more sophisticated device."

Read More: Basic Trackers Take a Back Seat as Smartwatches Accelerate in the Second Quarter, According to IDC

Article Link: Nearly Half of All Smartwatches Shipped Last Quarter Were Apple Watches

2. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I remember a constant onslaught of Apple Watch imminent failure predictions when it first launched. Shouldn't people know better by now?

3. Red Oak macrumors regular

4. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

What I'm sure has helped these sales is that Apple kept Series 1 and lowered the price. Good move!

5. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Smart watches are certainly cool, but I have so many device I need to charge each day that my head will explode if there is yet another device to charge. Maybe Apple will devise a micro nuclear power plant (satire) to power these devices and free us from the charging monster.

6. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

I might consider the watch if it acted like a touch bar with a desktop Mac.

7. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I work out every day and more and more people at my gym wear an apple watch.

8. lunarworks macrumors 68000

When it first launched? I don't remember the onslaught stopping.

9. chetttos macrumors newbie

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Absolutely agree. $350/$400.00 was to high of a price when the Sport model launched in 2015. When Series 1 was introduced at $269.00, it offered a more 'Entry' level price point where it should have been priced when it launched. Albeit, to reduce the price point of Series 1, it also changed the packaging contents and did not include the power brick.

11. pradeepbabloo macrumors member

pradeepbabloo

There is my contribution as well :)
    I am highly satisfied with the product...no complaints as of yet!

12. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

The smartwatch market today.

The wearables market tomorrow.

Onwards, Apple. All the way to the top!!!

13. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Why is that?

Don't you take out and wear your watch every day?

The Apple Watch is exactly the same, you just have a place you put it over.

14. jerryk macrumors 601

I am surprised that the majority of smart watches were not the Apple watch. I guess I do not know what the other watches look like.

15. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

My personal trainer and virtually everyone at my gym has one.

16. Nick Milner macrumors member

Nick Milner

I wear a Samsung Gear S3, personally, as it actually looks like a watch. I just hate the look of the Apple Watch. :/

17. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

You know it's bad when Fossil makes up 5% of the market.

18. lazard macrumors 68000

That people will buy anything with an Apple logo on it?

19. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Those who haven't bought yet do.

20. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Exactly. The pebble at least gave you several days of charge...

21. jerryk macrumors 601

How do you like it? I have a fitbit HR 2, but am thinking about upgrading. I use an Android phone, so I don't think there is much support for it in the Apple watch.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's still a relatively small market though, with only just over 2 million smartwatches a month sold worldwide.

23. makingdots macrumors 6502

Wireless electricity will come someday. The true wireless charging.

24. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I was one of those people, kinda. I'd never bet against an Apple product for great sales, but I am still waiting to be whelmed by the Apple Watch. It's cool I guess, the performance has always sucked for me, but I think the Watch could utilize the buttons a little better.

I'm a runner. I sweat when I run. I want to use the Watch to control music or Strava when I run. The Watch face is completely unusable with wet fingers. I get it, it's not really Apple's fault, they don't create display technology. They COULD create a workout mode where you didn't have to rely on the screen so much. For a device they tout as a workout essential, I leave it at home a lot while running. It's not worth the frustration. Apart from asking Siri for next song/start this song over/play certain song, the watch is nearly useless for workouts for me.

I really want to like the Watch. It's the first Apple product in many years that I didn't love right out of the gate. Perhaps it's just not made for me.