Original Apple Watch Health Features Were Dropped Due to Consistency Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Before Apple unveiled the Apple Watch last September, reports indicated the device would come with 10 sensors to track health and fitness data, leading some healthcare professionals to find the unveiled Apple Watch's health features disappointing. In a new report, The Wall Street Journal offers a look at the original Apple Watch health features that were dropped due to consistency problems.

[​IMG]
    The Apple Watch originally featured sensors that measured the conductivity of skin, allowing the device to detect stress levels and heart-rate monitoring similar to an electrocardiogram, also known as an EKG. Apple also experimented with ways to detect blood pressure or how much oxygen is in a user's blood. However, a mix of consistency problems and potential oversight caused Apple to switch the focus of the device from health-related to a more general do-everything product.

The skin conductivity features didn't perform well with people who had hairy arms or dry skin, while results varied depending on how tight an Apple Watch was worn on users' wrists. Additionally, if Apple decided to use the health data to provide "health or behavioral advice", the Cupertino company would have to seek approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other regulators.

While these features were dropped for the first version of the Apple Watch, sources tell the WSJ that they could appear in future versions of the device, echoing a Reuters report from September.

Last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company's objective with Apple Watch is to "change the way people live their lives" and that people would be surprised by the breadth of what the device can do, which includes activity monitoring, reminding users to stand up after a certain time period, and non-verbal communication with friends. Apple is currently asking developers to have their Apple Watch apps ready by mid-February, with some developers traveling to Apple's Cupertino headquarters for help.

Cook has confirmed the Apple Watch will launch in April. The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple will make five to six million units for the first quarter, with half of those units being the entry Apple Watch Sport and one-third being the mid-tier stainless-steel Apple Watch.

Article Link: Original Apple Watch Health Features Were Dropped Due to Consistency Issues

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

So im guessing the second ten will have it? Will get the watch still

4. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

What a bummer. Health tracking was my #1 reason for getting an Apple Watch.

5. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

Ugh, I really wanted a Gen1 - love my Pebble but it's on its last leg....maybe it can last till gen2

6. AngerDanger, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

7. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

Me too. I'm so torn still on whether I want to wait. Though, judging by how the accurate issue is of concern and the FDA issue, it could be more than a couple years before they actually get added in 1st gen or not.

8. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Pretty clear to see Apple has big ambitions here. But I'm glad they dropped stuff that wasn't up to snuff rather than just adding sensors for the sake of it whether they were very accurate or not.

9. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Having worn a Continuous Glucose Monitor for the last 6 years, developing these kinds of general health monitoring devices is not the easiest thing to do. Humans come in all shapes, sizes, skin consistencies, wanting of wearing things tightly, etc.

Plus, with the CGM, taking Tylenol messes up the readings. Try solving that factorial problem of variables of the human existence.

10. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

I've never been huge on the Apple Watch, it has always seemed like Apple is just trying to enter a market because others are doing so. During their demos they touted things like sending emoticons and basic things like a strap to keep the band flush to the wrist.

Apple doesn't seem to understand this product themselves, the fact that it is described internally as a black hole is not a good sign.

I think this will be apples first major product to be a flop in a long time.

11. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

(But don't call you "Shirley")?

You're welcome!

:D

12. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

so what will happened to the nike fuel band? Will it make a comeback since the watch has failed in the health department?

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yeah, all this stuff was good to go but Tim Cook is forcing it to be saved for gen 2. Because all these sensors are commonplace and accurate in competing devices?

14. lotzosushi, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Good. I rather wait for something that works all the time rather than just sometimes. Unlike the companies that shall not be named that throw every half baked feature into one device just to say FIRST... only never to be used at all.

I thought Apple was the original one 'rumored' for the longest time to be working on a smartwatch? When everyone else caught wind they clamored to rush and make their own. Apple didn't JUST think of this recently because everyone else is. Look at how many Galaxy and Sony smartwatches they've tried throwing out already yet none of them really stick. I really do love my Moto 360 though :)

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Did the FuelBand feature all these sensors?

16. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

The rumor is apple hired the Nike fuelband team a couple years ago.

I know I'm waiting for gen2

17. leenak macrumors 68020

Damn, guess I'll wait a year then... boo-urns.

18. ricci macrumors 6502

ricci

Pushing the envelope is what great companies do! RELEASING it before it's ready, now, that's what Samsung does!!!

19. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

I'm not entirely sure those sensors were "dropped" because of "consistency issues." I'm a little more inclined to believe they were being tested to see if they could be made consistent. A litmus test per-say, to see how many years away the technology is from being consistent. Not to mention all the FDA red tape - releasing an FDA approved 10 sensor wearable gen1 device is pretty ambitious even for Apple.

20. Tech198 macrumors G5

Isn't this what Apple wanted ?

Challenging, or otherwise..... You make it, you live with the consequences associated.

Similar to how the way "the iPhone changed out lives".. WHy does every thing Apple "thinks" up need to be a "change" issue, as they can only think "It will always be the way, because we can only think that"

Limited mind scope...

Start to think outside the box you live in..

Yes, the iPhone changed our live because everyone could see that... but come on... Its an accessory.... How on can anyone think that a piece of technology that must rely on something else, be a life changing idea ?

Unless you can do 4G on the watch, surf the internet all without the use of a phone ?

For me anyway, it will have to be just as big as the life changed as the iphone for me to even start believing that anything else could be from Apple..

Nice try.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Same. I can definitely wait on an Apple Watch now... it literally gives me almost no added benefit to the iPhone I already have as it stands now.

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

People will be quoting and laughing at you for years to come

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What exactly from this story were you expecting to be included the Watch being launched this spring?

24. Teste macrumors 6502

Nice to see a reminder of how everyone claiming the iWatch would measure glucose levels through the skin was wrong. This is basically an overpriced toy. Measuring glucose levels without using blood is something that will be developed by the scientists, not by the designers or toy makers.

25. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Nothing has changed from the announcement in September.