Necessary MacBook Pro accesories?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAppleGeek, May 16, 2011.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

As a Graduation gift, I am being 'surprised' with a 13" MacBook Pro in a couple of weeks, and today, my Dad asked me what accessories I would want/need. Quickly, I answered:

- a printer.

- Office for Mac or iWork. (Which is better?)

That's pretty much all I can think of. What are some necessary accessories to carry with me?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Two thighs that you can bring together and then fold at a 90° angle with your torso to make the proper laptop supporting position. :D

Attached Files:

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely an external hard drive for backups (500GB or so), and I would go with Office over iWork, however if you get the program through your college, it will likely be cheaper (I got mine for $65). It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a $20 wireless mouse either, but that may be better to decide after getting it.

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

1. Nice case or Sleeve
    2. Blutooth or Wireless mouse
    3. Headphones

6. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

External monitor. For any serious desktop work.
    and ya, obviously some kind of case/sleeve/bag

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Enjoy your "surprise"!

You don't really "need" anything, but here is what I use every day. I've tried a bunch of products in each category, and these are the ones I like the most.

HARDWARE
    1) Microsoft 5000 notebook mouse
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Blu...4BA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305611648&sr=8-1

2) apple wireless keyboard
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Wireles...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305611707&sr=1-1

3) Logitech N100 riser (in conjunction with mouse and keyboard, it turns your computer into an office at home)
    http://www.zapsonline.com/stands-note/30828-logitech-n100-riser-notebook-stand-dc939-000096.html

4) Bose Q15 noise canceling headphones
    http://www.amazon.com/QuietComfort®...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305611836&sr=1-1

5) 1TB External HD (Seagate or WD are good) for backup

6) A sleeve for carrying it. Waterfield is my favorite bag company.
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

7) A clear hardcase to protect it (optional, of course, but some of us are super concerned about scratches, dents, and other misfortunes.
    http://www.amazon.com/iPearl-mCover...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305612175&sr=1-4

SOFTWARE
    1) Microsoft Office
    2) VoodooPad
    http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Definitely Microsoft Office. Now for actual accessories... I'm not sure. I don't have anything for my Blackbook aside form an extra battery... You could get a case for it though; a hard case or a sleeve to prevent scratches and possible dings throughout the years.

9. kbun macrumors newbie

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

1. External Hard Drive
    2. External Monitor
    3. Mouse
    4. Keyboard
    5. Sleeve

This is a good starting point :D

11. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

A good sleeve or bag.

A ShaggyMac.

An external drive for backups.

A 6-inch USB extension cable (good for connecting thumb drives).

I would skip the mouse and keyboard and monitor until you settle in a bit.

Are you headed to college? Buy a cable lock. Skip the printer. Buy a thumb drive. Buy personal property insurance.

Have fun.

12. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

13. altecXP macrumors 65816

I stopped reading right there. If you went to an audio site and said you use Bose they would only laugh. Maybe not as hard as if you said your bought BEATS, but still laugh.

14. Thisisgeorge macrumors newbie

Case/sleeve
    External HDD for time machine
    Microsoft Office
    Mini display port to VGA/HDMI/DVI dongle.

15. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I bought that model just a couple of months ago. It's a terrific machine.

I've been very happy with a Timbuk2 bag, an Incase Neoprene Sleeve, and an external drive for Time Machine (wow - it's awesome!).

Even though it's pricey, I recommend AppleCare. Apple has the best service of any company I know. It's a good investment toward your new MacBook -- though you have one calendar year to buy it.

Other than that, MS Office or even Open Office, depending on your needs.

Perhaps your school offers highly discounted software? I was able to buy MS Office for $10 through a program at Texas Tech University when I was student and faculty.

Enjoy your new machine.

16. crush500 macrumors member

Are you going to college next year? If so I would check to see if your college provides a free copy of Office or iWork. My college does so I was able to save some money. If you're going to school I'd say Office is better because its much easier to use since most people will be using Windows and iWork can be a bit tricky sometimes when it comes to formatting.

I'd also get a good sized external HDD to back up all your data and use for additional storage. Never know when something is going to crap out. Always good to have a back up of all your stuff.

Depending on what you are doing with it an external monitor might also be helpful with the smaller screen. I don't mind the 13" screen but if you are going to be doing any photo or video editing you might want a larger screen so you can better see what you are doing.

A good case/carrying bag is a must if you will be carrying your MBP around a lot. MBPs are expensive machines. It's better to protect your investment. You also want the thing to stay beautiful. Don't want scratches getting all over your case. I think it's rather dumb to see people lugging their MBPs around without cases. They might as well be throwing their money away if they aren't going to take care of the thing.

Also make sure to get AppleCare. It is really worth the money. I've read online of people saving hundreds and thousands of dollars because they bought AppleCare.

17. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Everyone else pretty much has it all covered. Here's another vote for Office though. It's much more compatible, which is very important as most of the world uses Windows. You don't want to turn in a paper that your prof can't open.

The only accessory that I'd consider a requirement is an external hard drive for Time Machine. Computer drives love to crap out a week before exams, and you don't want to lose your data. You could use a cheaper thumb drive for docs, but Time Machine is an amazing and simple backup system that's a pleasure to use.

18. sn macrumors 6502

sound snob.

19. jason221 macrumors 6502

If you're going to spend $300 on headphones, you could get something that is of much higher quality than Bose. He's justified in his criticism.

20. altecXP macrumors 65816

No common sense. Why pay $300 for headphones that sound like $150-200 headphones?

21. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

AppleCare. Could be a life saver. Check out the price at B&H.

22. mac00l macrumors 6502

C'mon.... we all have machines that we all agree cost more than what they are worth, and we justify ourselves in quality build, design, reliability.... and yet you all go and criticize someone who uses Bose headphones???

Yes a $99 Klipsch S4 IEMs are way better than almost all the Bose's headphone line, but still there are people who like to have everything Bose in their houses.

23. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Ooops ... forgot. You might consider a small UPS as well if you are getting that external monitor and disk drive. Can't tell you how many times my UPS has come in handy.

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

Great point. LOTS of computers get stolen at university. A cable lock will at least discourage opportunistic theft. Printers are totally unnecessary at many universities. I have used mine two or three times over the past few years. Personal property insurance is a great idea (whether or not you are going to university).

25. dslrjunky macrumors regular