Need a Mac Pro - Buy now or wait for update

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Matt-Exeter, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Matt-Exeter macrumors newbie

Hi

This is my first post to this forum.
    I have been waiting for a while to replace my PC for a mac pro. I can't believe how long it takes Apple between updates - not the same with PCs!!

However, I could really do with a Mac Pro now - the 2 x 2.8 spec meets my needs. Is it a good time to buy, or should I just keep waiting and waiting until the new model is released!!.

Thanks in advance

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fixed.

If you need it for work, buy now. If you can wait, do.

And also search. That sentence is probably the most repeated of any on the whole site.

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Grab the 2.8 octo. It will last you for the next few years. If you want to save 400 bucks, grab a refurb. I did a few weeks ago. Same warranty as new. Just comes in a plain brown box. Bump up the ram from 2gb to 8 or 10, add a few drives and you have a smokin machine. The new ones a supposedly going to be around 30-40 percent faster but until they are released, nobody really knows. Myself, I'll wait and let the folks with deep pockets buy them and report back how fast they really are.

4. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I would not even buy now even if you NEED it. It's so close I can taste it.

Try to make due with whatever you have.

Worst comes to worst buy a used G5 and sell it for the same price when the new mac pros come.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Still about four months out, though.

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

But the chips ship in march and Apple gets them early most of the time.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They got a chip early once. By two weeks. That's really meaningless compared to the rest all releases.

Even when they get them early, they only release six to thirteen weeks after production begins. ;)

Has it begun?

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

For Intel to meet the March 29 release date, they've already begun production. Apple, and any other vendor should have them on the 30th. So 6 - 8 weeks later is realistic (order from Apple), assuming they don't run into any problems. :eek: ;)

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

OEM's get them way before retail sales of cpu's.

If the CPU does launch retail on March 29 I bet Apple already has them, and just has to wait for the release date.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Most of the parts will be OEM (trays), not retail packaging. That said, if you examine Intel's recent history, particularly the Core i7, they released on the same day. Retail parts tend to be offered up for individuals building their own systems (OEM sources later), while all the initial OEM parts are sent directly to large vendors to meet their sales (large order) obligations.

The vendors design off of ES parts (Engineering Samples) prior to release, so if they get their act together (all parts available at once), they can begin manufacture immediately. More of a factor of making JIT Scheduling actually work. The real work remaining is to develop the OEM install disks (gathering all of the drivers, and making sure they work on the production models), especially since most order already manufactured components. If any of the components, whether case, boards, graphic cards,... have problems, or the drivers don't actually work, delays ensue.

11. m1stake macrumors 68000

I don't look forward to buying a rev A, but at this rate it's what I'm going to have to go with. I guess Applecare will take care of any really terrible issues.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is the way of the electronics industry these days.
    The name on the box has given up control in the quest to save any penny possible. ODM's design and manufacture the parts, resulting in haphazard testing, and all stages of QC. :rolleyes: :( Yes, Apple is among them. :eek:

Given the replacement costs for Apple's replacement parts, AppleCare is definitely the way to go. ;) A cheap insurance policy. ;)

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

Applecare + American Express = companies get bent over.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

In what sense? :confused:

Individuals or small businesses makes a little more sense. Large companies tend to go for service contracts anyway. It makes better sense for them in regards to tax purposes alone, if I understand that part correctly. Tax code is too big. 70K+ pages. :eek:

I don't see how anyone can actually understand it all. :confused: ;)

15. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

personally I would wait until you can afford the config you want and if the new ones arent out by then get the current one.... 40-50% of a 4 sec render time is only 2 sec. not a big difference

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

I was under the impression render times take longer than that, so the performance gains would be worth it, assuming these tasks are performed repetitively.

If this is the case, the time saved (increased productivity) would more than make up for the $200 difference expected for the next MP, and a machine isn't needed right now.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Whoa! 4 second render cut down to 2 seconds is actually HUGE in difference in speed. Put that into a ratio difference and imagine a 2 hour project cut by 50% to 1 hour which adds up over time.

Say in 6 months you cut down to 150 hours from 300 hours that's phenomenally HUGE difference!!

18. m1stake macrumors 68000

Big purchases are for my Amex card, they add a year to whatever warranty the unit has. It's a great feeling to be blown off by a company, call American express, and have them shove the company foot in some other companies behind at my will :p

19. Chaywa macrumors member

I bought a rev. A G5 tower in 03 and it is still going strong. That wasn't just a speed bump, that was a formfactor/proc manufacturer/ bus change and it went very smoothly. I don't think you have too much to worry about switching to the next mac pro.

20. m1stake macrumors 68000

I'm not particularly worried about it, all of my iPods and my G4 were bought within a week of release with no issues. Everyone's luck runs out eventually right? :p

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

Extension of manufacturer warranty. :D :cool:

That really is a nice feature. :)

22. rylin macrumors 6502

Another great policy is price matching.
    If you find the same product at a lower price within 30-90 days (depending on country), AMEX will make sure you don't feel shafted ;)

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hmm....I'll have to go back and read the details on the AMEX documentation (policies). :D

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

And that chip was not a new microarchitecture or a new process shrink. Gainestown is a new microarchitecture. Apple didn't get Yonah early, or Merom (microarchitecture), or Penryn.

Apple products have otherwise been released after the release of the corresponding Intel CPUs.

25. rylin macrumors 6502

Just double checked, since amex is being phased out on my side of the pond ;)
    MC give me 1 year extended warranty, 90 day price match, 90 day insurance (theft, breakage, etc.).

There are limits though, but all in all, it's great customer protection.
    Maybe I should switch my Visa for a MC ;)