Need a New Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Huntn, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When I upgraded to OSX 8, I got slapped in the face with a printer, my HP 6122 that is no longer supported. Fortunately it still prints. unlike my HP 960, however only in black ink. When a test page prints, it shows colors, but when I tell it to print in OSX 8, no luck, black and gray scale only.

So...
    I have traditionally liked HP because it has large cartridges and the printer heads are on the cartridge. Traditionally I've not liked Epson cause it used to have an issue (still does?) with clogged heads (heads not on the cartridges) and it has/had small cartridges. But now I've heard the new HP printer cartridges are small too.

Based on what I've said, any suggestions on a new printer? What about Kodak that speaks of being the most inexpensive printer for ink?
    Thanks!
    -Dave

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

New HP printers doesn't have heads on the cartridges anymore either.
    The most inexpensive printer in terms of cost of ownership is supposed to be the Epson Workforce WF-3540, which is even 40% less expensive than a color laser. They also have XL cartridges for it.
    [​IMG]

3. Volkan1984 macrumors member

Do you own a Airport Express, Airport Extreme or Time Capsule? You could hook up the printer to one of those devices and still be able to print, as far as I know.

4. Huntn, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd also like to ask if anyone is using their all in one printer to fax documents over a VOIP phone system? If so I'd like details! :)

Thanks for the suggestion! Tradionally I've had high brand loyalty to HP printers because of the features I mentioned in my first post. Now I'm reconsidering and will consider this one.

Don't have those. :( But with Mountain Lion, I believe it's a driver issue and HP no longer supports these older printers. How would those devices overcome this issue I wonder?

5. Volkan1984 macrumors member

I have experienced that certain printers don't work with Mac and that by using the printer through a Time Capsule, they would work.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

7. bielen macrumors regular

Epson 3540

I also just purchased the Epson WorkForce WF-3540 to use with my iMac. It replaced by Epson Artisan 810. The printer can do everything you need (Print/Scan/Fax/Copy). There are two paper trays and a separate envelope feeder. High-capacity cartridges are available to save on print costs. Fully Mac compatible. Highly recommended.

8. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It's enroute. :) I read up a lot and it seems like the less you pay for a printer up front, the more you pay for it's ink. I also like the fact that laser toner does not go bad if it sits unused unlike deskjet ink which can dry up or clog. And I got it in my head that it's the most economical. I'll report back once I've had a chance to get to know it.

Note: I paid $160 for mine. The Amazon link now shows $195.

10. Huntn, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

So far so good. Not that I need it frequently, my only complaint is that the HP driver offers no manual even, odd printing. This seems like such a basic thing to have.

Does anyone know of a way around that? Thanks!

Update: I'm not sure if the MacOS8 drivers on HP's site are the same that have all ready been installed via Apple update. Going to try that.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

After using this printer for a couple of weeks, I recommend it! I like it better than the deskjets I've been using for the last (almost) 20 years. Regarding printing prices, I have yet to experience the joy of replacing toner cartridges. ;)

12. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Do you experience a lot of noise upon turning it on Huntn? My new Canon printer is noisy and makes a racket for a few moments before the first print. Think its because the printer heads are aligning themselves.

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It makes a buzzy, clicky noise (but not a racket) for a couple of seconds. After reading about laser printers, I believe there is static electricity involved and am not sure if that might be associated with the sounds on startup.

14. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Thank Huntn. Mine is very loud (Buzzy sound, and clicking as well), and lasts about 20/25 or more seconds the first time starting up. I mentioned racket because it is louder/noticeable. Many have complained about this model of Canon, and other canon printers. Now I see other printers have some of the same sounds at start up.

Canon MG5420 It works well however ;)

15. johnbarry291 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Goode you upgraded to OSX 8, no slapped in ur face with a printer but little mistake simple solution. You have HP 6122 printer driver CD. Please in dvd room driver cd and search driver but show screen not found driver and show 2 option menu bar an select option search driver internet and click internet option and searching internet within 10 mint and your driver have found and install Hp driver current version driver. Your printer working properly and enjoy.

Regard
    John barry

Visit: shoppingspout

16. heardhqa macrumors newbie

Epson WorkForce 845 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer
    This is a beautiful looking printer with a great footprint on my home desk and seemed to have everything I wanted in a printer. However, the print quality of text is totally unacceptable. I had a Canon MP990 that I hated for its rickety noisy quality and broken rear sheet feeder (meaning I can't even print color images anymore with it) and high ink costs, but this Epson Workforce 845's print quality is vastly inferior.[​IMG]