need a new router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeremy566, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jeremy566 macrumors member

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Just got a linksys WRT610N

They were not available when I placed the order. Have been running it for two weeks now. Seems ok thus far. Did have to update the firmware. Downloaded the firmware from linksys.com and installed with no difficulty.

3. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

4. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

make sure it is draft N and has gigabit LAN to future proof it a bit, maybe a 2.0 usb port in case you want to attach a hard drive or printer to the network.

Apple airport extreme Base Station

Belkin have a new network product range on the way (October) with N, gigabit and USB2.0

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

this may be better than the extreme in terms of price but i have an extreme and it does its job well. I would have considered this if I had known about it when purchasing my extreme.

6. cube macrumors G4

A router already fully supported by DD-WRT with at least 8MB of flash, USB port, gigabit LAN, and 5 GHz wireless.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i'd recommend the one with the blue led thing in the middle, since it's a bit newer, with dual bands, so less chance of interference from other wireless devices. if you have the money, go with the airport extreme base station, since it has gigabit lan, and supports a/b/g/n and also has usb ports. it's the AIO of routers these days.

8. cube macrumors G4

You can't put a third-party firmware on the Apple routers. They are left in the dust.

9. Jordz macrumors member

Jordz

My 1st Post :p

Don't get any of the belkin routers! I've gone through several (don't know why I bother getting any more) The only belkin router I would maybe consider is the N1 (it looks cool :rolleyes: and it looks to be completely different) Netgear are good but, the one I had (for a long period of time) eventually died :(

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I agree with the netgear. I just bought a airport express to replace it since we have a small family. Netgear was good for like 1-2 years or so, then it just slowly dies, like a logarithm. it shoots up but eventually goes still.

To cube, why do you want third party firmware? Apple utilities are simple to use. And the firmware is pretty good, I dont see a need for other firmware. unless the OP does want that feature, then go with a linksys linux router. that, you can customize however you'd like.

11. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I would advise against this as it has no gigabit ethernet

12. cube macrumors G4

You can go upto full Linux with certain third party firmware if the router allows attaching external storage.

You can do many things, like using it as a SIP gateway, or even installing Asterisk, to use it as a PBX for a network of local WiFi phones and providing VoIP out, so that one would need a dedicated Asterisk box for that only if you want PSTN access, have a lot of phones, or want to connect analog terminals.

It's also a safety net for products that don't work well, even if it's supposed to be a "good" brand.

13. cube macrumors G4

It seems a dedicated Asterix box which PCI(e) is not needed at all for a couple of phones, as there are some cheap FXO/FXS adapters with a network interface.

14. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

is there any Gigabit Router with dual band because my iphone and another laptop run on the G speed

15. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

My router is a Buffalo WZR-G300N.

Love it, have had very few issues compared to the boatload of D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear routers I have been through. And I'm pretty sure it is flashable with DD-WRT.

Gets great range and speed, but doesn't have the USB ports of other routers. It does have AOSS though.

16. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

does a gigabit router speed up the wireless on a laptop or the computer that is hooked in one of the lans

i found this router what do u guys think of it

belkin n

17. weckart macrumors 68040

Waste of money, IMO, unless you adore gazing at LED displays. Belkin routers seem to have the most problems with Apple networks. The connections keep dropping every minute or so. Belkin are on my boycott list. Check the reviews on Amazon, the customer support is abysmal.

The Netgear Rangemax works well, but the hardware is suspect. My brother went through 2 within the space of the year (both died suddenly without warning) before switching to a Belkin N. I have to hook up my trusty Airport Express to his router whenever I visit for the reasons stated above.

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Neither. If you have 2 or more wired devices that are gigabit capable, having a gigabit router will provide full 1000Mbps communication between those wired devices.

Gigabit ethernet ports have no affect on wireless devices, nor on the speed of your internet connection.

I think it's a piece of ****. Get a real router, not some cheezy bling bling thing with blinky lights.

19. supmango macrumors 6502

Apple Airport Extreme

I would recommend the airport extreme. It was a little tedious to get setup, but I have never had any problems with connectivity or getting it to work with ANYTHING (and I do have a lot of wireless devices). Just make sure you use the automatic configuration wizard (unless you have some kind of special need for specific advanced settings, which 95% of people don't). The only thing it won't do is set up MAC address access list (if you are even concerned about that). That has to be done manually but it is pretty easy to figure out.

20. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

is ther any other router out there that are good

21. cube macrumors G4

I bought the Linksys WRT350N and it disconfigured itself, so I intalled DD-WRT Mega (first the specific mini, then the generic Mega, then HARD RESET), and it seems to be going fine. Hard reset is important, before that I couldn't get the wireless to work.

But it's not dual band. The 600N is dual band and it's also supported by DD-WRT. The 610N is not ready.

Of the additional things in the Mega, what I find interesting is the SIP gateway, but I haven't set it up yet. Maybe you just want to install Standard and save some flash for something else (you can also install optional packages in a USB drive).

You can use Firewall Builder on a computer to create the firewall rules graphically. Then you install the rules in the router. This is a normal Linux firewall. This is great, because the stock firewalls of some (all?) consumer routers are toys.

22. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I use an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I have attached my setup. It works extremely well-even the Windows PC I have can access all the features. I have two macs backing up to it, and use it as an iTunes Server. The Express just extends the network so that iTunes runs better and my iPod touch can use it upstairs. They are both dual-band (I have it set to BGN).

Attached Files:

23. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Had two Netgears fail on me and a Belkin which was flaky at best with the wifi.

Went for a Linksys and it has been very good.

That's my experience with wireless routers.

24. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

i bought the one with the blue in the middle i am not happy from about 5 feet and 4 feet above me i am only getting about 60% signal and internet is working netgear told me the bring it back it to get a new one how is this router if anyone know

D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR655)

25. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

This is exactally what Im looking to do with my home network. So does that 500gb drive house your iTunes library as well as back ups? So everyone can back up to that drive as well as access that drive to control iTunes?
    I wanted to do the same thing but add another 500gb drive dedicated for back ups and have the other drive just for media storage. But If I add 2 drives, can one of those drives back up the other? In other words, if I have a dedicated media drive, can the other drive be used to back up my machines as well as my media drive? Anyone know?
    Also, txhockey9404, did you get a USB hub in order the use multiple USB devices with your Airport Extreme? And what kind of 500gb drive did you get?