need a new TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bacong, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

lol, that Sceptre is less than what I paid for my 40" LG (non-4K) last Spring. Take a look at LG, I'm on my second one, the first one lasted 6-7 years and was still functional when I replaced it. I'm really happy with the one I have now.

The only place 4K will be "big" is on Blu-Ray and MAYBE streaming services and you'll need a new Blu-Ray player to make use of it. There's no way cable companies will be pushing it, they're hardly fully on-board with 1080P and I don't think their current systems could support the bandwidth needed for 4k broadcast.

3. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

well, I'm sure there will be more 4k streaming stuff, and gaming is coming up to that point

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

DirecTV is the only provider offering 4K content. Netflix has some streaming but that will suck bandwidth. So if you have data caps watch out. Look for a TV with HDR capabilities. Stay away from the low end 4K.

5. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I'd recommend a Panasonic Plasma, but, it's not 2012 anymore. darn.

these guys like to go on and on,
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/
    might be a good place to understand everything you need to understand.

6. HDFan macrumors 6502

How much do you want to spend? The Best Buy site doesn't give a price until you put it into a cart.

What size?

What program source(s) are you going to use? From what source? I.E., UHD Blu-Ray player, Roku 4K Amazon video streaming, etc.

Are you going to use program source apps on the TV (such as Netflix)? If so do you have the bandwidth available (wired or wireless) where the TV will be placed to deliver 4K? A family member installed a 4K TV and their Airport network was totally inadequate. Cost a fortune to get the networking to work at a high enough capacity.

How much do you care about picture quality? If that's important there's only one (expensive) game in town: LG's OLED.

Do you care about HDR (High Dynamic Range) as MacNut asked? If so and you want maximum compatibility the TV needs to support both Dolby Vision and HDR10. There are very few sets that do that right now. I looked at the

Samsung UN65KS9800FXZA

which is Sound and Vision magazine's top pick in September. At $4500 it only supports HDR10.

7. HDFan macrumors 6502

Amazon and Netflix at the moment seem to be using Dolby vision.

8. werked macrumors regular

werked

I can give an honest recommendation. I am the type to research the **** out of big purchases. I read reviews for 6 months or more before I finally bought my latest. I wanted 70 inches at a minimum. For the price and feature set the Vizio M70-d3 is very, very hard to beat. The picture is amazing. True 4K content is just breathtaking. This set is 4k w/ high dynamic range (hdr). Supports both Dolby vision and hdr10. Best in class for the money spent IMHO.
    Forgot to add. Has a backlight panel.....he whole thing. Not edgelit like most.

9. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

:(

I know, I should've scored an extra one when they were clearing them out.

Amazon seems to be supporting HDR10.

I've been looking at the Vizio P series, 65", for a 4K option, I've never owned a Vizio (Sony, Panasonic, mostly ...), but the reviews are pretty outstanding, and it seems like it's a good price-to-performance ratio.

10. Bacong, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

11. werked macrumors regular

werked

I've always had Panasonic plasma. Last year I bought a Sony. It is very hard to beat the picture and colors of a good plasma display. I couldn't justify the price difference between the M and the P series Vizio and could hardly see a difference in the picture. M series all the way for me....and 1800 bucks for 70" sealed the deal.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The last three TV's I've purchased have all been Vizio and they are all still working great. The value is pretty outstanding and you can get good deals through places like Sam's Club or Costco. Black Friday is just around the corner so you may want to consider that.

13. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Got 3 Samsung that had defaults in the span of twelve hours recently...gave up as I also didn't like the controls of the smart tv portion

Ended up with this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...ltra-hd-tv-gray-black/5029400.p?skuId=5029400

Was around 850 when I bought it and at 599 and how good the picture is and easiness of navigation that price is a steal.

Roommate had this in the living room and I liked it so much I personally purchased my own for the bedroom

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Thanks for this link. It was defintely helpful.

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Out of curiousity. Do you have a recommendation for a TV or what do you currently own? I am seeking 4K HDR. I have been looking at Samsung's.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have not dived into 4k, Samsung is a good brand. I would not look too cheap for 4K. As with most things you get what you pay for. I don't like the curved sets, I know it's supposed to be immersive but you need to be dead center for it to be effective.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciated.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've owned 3 LG TVs and 2 of them failed in under 2 years.

19. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

And I'm on my second, the first lasted 7 years and was still functional when I replaced it with the second LG, still going strong at 18 months. I wanted a higher quality picture and more HDMI inputs. As with ANY device, there will be failures, that's why they carry a warranty, but with a company like LG they produce mostly long-lasting products.

Consider this - LG makes the panels used in some of the off-brand TVs, there are only a couple panel manufacturers (LG and Samsung being 2) who then sell to the other brands. Shoot, I see LG panels in some of the Dell and Lenovo laptops I repair, either already installed or going in as an equivalent replacement.

20. Zenithal Suspended

They're about the only two companies in addition to Sharp that supply panels to a large swath of companies. They also make quite a bit of hardware that goes into other companies devices. Sony's been using Sharp and LG panel and hardware for years. I think my Bravia from 2006 had an LG panel.

It's very much like SSD or RAM. Micron makes a great deal of hardware for other SSD manufacturers, and I use that word lightly in this sense. People love the Corsair brand, but they produce nothing. They buy high quality binned products and put their own firmware and whatnot on them. The result is a superior product. SK Hynix makes products other companies rebrand and sell.

The majority of DVD players and BluRays from the last sixteen years were all rebrands.

21. determined09, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

deleted post

22. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

OLED looks amazing. I love mine, and we can't stand watching on our plasma now in the bedroom. At this point I'd just wait for Thanksgiving deals if you haven't purchased yet.

23. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

thats what I have, if mine goes out then I looking for a new one..

24. determined09, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016