Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which configuration should I get?

• 15" i7 - Standard Resolution Glossy

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 15" i7 - Standard Resolution Glossy w/ after-market AG film

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • 15" i7 - High Resolution Glossy

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • 15" i7 - High Resolution Glossy w/ afer-market AG film

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 15" i7 - High Resolution Anti-Glare

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
What many people overlook is the fact that there are literally _two_ types of glossy displays.

1) Glossy LCD's as implemented on any brand of PC laptops. (No Glass)

2) Apple's Reflective Glass Pane, which is in front of the LCD panel. (Shiny Glass)

Thus you have to look "through" the glass to see the display. That's what causes the mirror like reflection. It's there period. Anyone that says there is no glare is in denial. You have two extra surfaces to look through to see the display.

Most people are familiar with, or have owned a glossy laptop of another brand. So when one thinks "glossy" they think of their Dell, or HP, or whatever. These have regular glossy plastic LCD's without any glass. There is a _huge_ difference. With a Dell for example, the amount of glare or reflection is very small. Whereas with a MacBook Pro, it's almost like a mirror. I know I made the horrible mistake of buying one. However that's just my experience as one who uses their laptop for hours on end for work.

For those who use their Mac as an entertainment device, for movies and playing on the net I can see why they prefer shiny. Plus shiny toys sell. Apple is proof.

SonicBoom1981

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
What many people overlook is the fact that there are literally _two_ types of glossy displays.

1) Glossy LCD's as implemented on any brand of PC laptops. (No Glass)

2) Apple's Reflective Glass Pane, which is in front of the LCD panel. (Shiny Glass)

Thus you have to look "through" the glass to see the display. That's what causes the mirror like reflection. It's there period. Anyone that says there is no glare is in denial. You have two extra surfaces to look through to see the display.

Most people are familiar with, or have owned a glossy laptop of another brand. So when one thinks "glossy" they think of their Dell, or HP, or whatever. These have regular glossy plastic LCD's without any glass. There is a _huge_ difference. With a Dell for example, the amount of glare or reflection is very small. Whereas with a MacBook Pro, it's almost like a mirror. I know I made the horrible mistake of buying one. However that's just my experience as one who uses their laptop for hours on end for work.

For those who use their Mac as an entertainment device, for movies and playing on the net I can see why they prefer shiny. Plus shiny toys sell. Apple is proof.

+1

Also the MacBook Pro 15" and 17" anti glare displays are not like the screens of the 13" MacBook or the MacBook Air, which have shiny displays.

The current range of Apple laptops have three different display types I believe. Correct me if I've got this wrong:

1) (Glossy) LCDs* with glass - MacBook Pros 13" 15" 17"
2) 'Coated' LCDs - MacBook, MacBook Air
3) 'Matte' (anti glare) LCDs - MacBook Pros 15" 17"

*I'm unsure if it is the 'Matte' or 'Coated' LCDs that are under the glass of the MacBook Pro Glossy ones.

I'd been using a 2005 iMac G5 for years, which has a matte type screen, and wanted to upgrade to a laptop. I thought about a second hand MacBook, but soon realised that they all have shiny screens, unlike my iMac. So to get a display I was happy with I had to get a MacBook Pro 15" (with HR anti glare).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.