Need advice, getting a refund from iTunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RangerXML, Sep 30, 2009.

1. RangerXML macrumors regular

I bought the X-Men Trilogy ($38+tax) on Blu-ray which came with digital copies of all 3 movies (remarkable considering The Ultimate Matrix Collection only came with a digital copy of The Matrix). I was indisposed of with a personal situation (I was in the friggen Hospital), I asked someone who shall remain nameless (my Mother) to get me the digital copies and buy chapter 4 of The Adventure of one eskimO ($.99) and gave them my password, told them how easy it was and send them on their way. They come back and tell me it would take too long about an hour so they just left without uploading it to my iPhone. Next day I'm at home and I find an email from PayPal that said I had spend $21.96. It turned out, they bought the three X-Men movies off iTunes for $6.99 each (thankfully on sale), I immediately reported a problem through the email from iTunes my clicking on the report a problem link and using the unintentional purchase option on X-Men and listing out all three movies.

They refunded me the money for X-Men ($6.99) and not the other 2 ($13.98 for X2: X-Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand), I email them back and get no response so I send a couple more. Finally I get a response saying they sympathize with my situation and they would look into it for my and get back to me. I don't get a response on Monday, send them a small email asking for an update and again on Tuesday with more detail and stating my case again.

Today I call them, at there 1-800 support line, say "iTunes" and get put through to their "iPod" support line and am on hold for 5 minutes. I ask the guy, this isn't the iTunes support line and he says no worries I can help you, can I get your serial number of your iPod and I tell him I have an iPhone, he then tells me he has to put me through to the "iPhone" support and I tell him its about an "iTunes" purchase and he tells me that they can help me and not to worry, I get put on hold and have to wait yet another 5 minutes. Finally some picks, they ask for my "iPhone" serial number and I tell them its about an "iTunes" purchase, he says, I can help you, don't worry...I tell him my serial number and phone number (also ask for an alternative), he then tells my sorry, your over your 90 days I can't help you with anything related to your "iPhone" your over your 90days and I tell him this isn't about my "iPhone" and he asks me whats wrong then and asks me a couple of times to re-explain what happened. He then says, to hold he needs to talk to a supervisor and puts me on hold for about 15 minutes. When I finally get someone on the line I have been on the line for 30 minutes (on the dot, as in time displayed on my phone), the guy I talk to now really does not seem to bright, he has no idea what digital copies of movies are, how you get them and wants me to explain to them how I put them on my iPhone (I'm about to start crying at this point), a couple of times he implies that I'm pirating the movies that you can't buy movies for the iPhone at CostCo and finally when it sounds like I'm crying he says he needs to transfer me again to *shock and awe* the "iTunes purchasing department" and it may take a while because he needs to relay what I told him and he needs to clear up somethings about digital copies agian, but he pretty much just gets out of it that I bought the movies on iTunes and am suffering from buyers remorse, before I can correct him I get transferred and am on hold yet again.

The guy I was talking to comes on again and says he has someone on the line and that he couldn't explain my situation to her and that I needed to again. After the long explanation, the person from the purchasing department says I see in your account that you went through the automated system and that you were refunded, I then explain that was just for one movie, not all three, she then said the system used your one time refund and that all sales are final and I say in the most polite terms, the hell they are I already purchased the movies and the rights to the digital copies from CostCo. She then tells me there is nothing she could do and I ask her to put me through to someone who could, she then tells me that no one could and that the system was automatic and there was no way for anyone to refund me, I tell her so your stealing $13.98 from me. I tell her there is no way I'm going to let them get away with stealing money from me, she offers me credit for about half the value of the 2 movies (a couple of songs or videos). I follow up that I wanna escalate this to a manager and that I want to talk to one, she tells me she can arrange a call back and I ask if there is one there and she tells me that there are no managers there for me to talk to. I settle for the call back at which point the call is lost. I wait a half hour for a call back, but low and behold, no one ever does so I call back, tell them to cut the crap and just look up my account, they gave me a case number and here we are. WTF, they call that a service!

I <3 :apple::mad:

Besides iPhone apps and The Adventure of one eskimO I DO NOT BUY things from iTunes.

Summary:Bought movies (X-Men Trilogy Blu-ray w/ digital copies) and was in Hospital. Asked Mother to get digital copies, next day find out own iTunes versions, because mom bought them instead of getting digital copies. Use Report a Problem feature, get refunded for one and not the other two. Email them a couple of times get one response, wait email, wait email. Call them, given the royal run around and accused of pirating movies and then told your screwed and no one can help you. Ask to talk to higher up, but told no you can't. Try to schedule a higher up call back, get disconnected. Call back cut through about as much red tape as I can schedule call back and get my case number. Now your up to speed.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My advice:

Paragraphs.

I didn't read any of that due to the fact that it is impossible to read.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Paragraphs ^^ I'm a fan. I didn't read either.

4. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

It would only look longer :p

EDIT: Broke it up into the four main paragraphs. Lots of run-ons though, was steamed when I wrote this. It's been a couple of hours, but I am still pretty pissed. If I do get a manager I'm going to ask if those 3 videos they offered me referred to movies, I might take them up on that then. I still feel as though I was robbed.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I glanced and sorry, again I didn't read all the way through because this is just a bunch of gibberish. Really, you sound pissed off about something. I would use the iTunes Report a Problem function within the iTunes store and be done with it. If you don't shore up some of that text though I am sure your concerns will fall to the wayside.

6. Kate. macrumors regular

I can see where Apple is coming from on this. It really isn't there responsibility to refund human error. Someone authorized a purchase through your account; yeah, she didn't buy what you wanted but it hardly qualifies as theft. I'd be happy if they offered me anything in exchange.

I understand that you're upset but it's hardly Apple's fault; you ordered something and they charged you for it. Or am I just completely misunderstanding the situation?

7. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

Summary: Bought movies (X-Men Trilogy Blu-ray w/ digital copies) and was in Hospital. Asked Mother to get digital copies, next day find out own iTunes versions, because mom bought them instead of getting digital copies. Use Report a Problem feature, get refunded for one and not the other two. Email them a couple of times get one response, wait email, wait email. Call them, given the royal run around and accused of pirating movies and then told your screwed and no one can help you. Ask to talk to higher up, but told no you can't. Try to schedule a higher up call back, get disconnected. Call back cut through about as much red tape as I can schedule call back and get my case number. Now your up to speed.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You should learn programming and enter this contest, you'd stand a good chance.

9. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't touched C since I was in Junior High School :D

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ah! Well then. Let me see if I have this right. You bought physical DVDs which would or should have contained digital copies. You sent your otherwise technically challenged mother to grab aforementioned digital copies for you, presumably so you could watch in the hospital, from your home (or her home), and she proceeded to take that as an open invite to purchase the digital copies from iTunes when in fact you already got them for free because that is what happens sometimes when you buy physical DVDs. You got your movies, you were none the wiser at the time but then you return from your stay in the hospital to find out that your mom bought iTunes movies, whereby you were charged for such movies in both digital and physical format. It was then, at that hand of your mother, that you were out whatever the cost of the iTunes movies were so you took it upon yourself, many months later ... or some time later, to contact iTunes. iTunes then opted to give you back one of the three movies that your mother willingly downloaded, which was generous of them at best because it was a mistake on your mother's part and not iTunes, but nevertheless, it cost you money. Therefore, iTunes said they would refund you 1/3 of the cost, ie: 1 of 3 movies, and you are utterly pissed beyond grammatical control because iTunes has the audacity to charge you for two of the three movies that you or an authorized user of your iTunes store account, downloaded while you were otherwise indisposed?

My thought process on this is that your mother made a mistake. Mom's do that. She made you she can break you. It's the cost of doing business as a son. You see friend, this is on your mother and you. You gave your mom instructions, whether they were clear or not, and your mom failed you. In the end this is not the fault of the iTunes store. Unfortunately it seems you're out the cost of two movies and iTunes was doing a great disservice by refunding you one of three movies. I guess this is just an error and hopefully you're not in financial ruins as a result of it. Hope whatever caused you to go to the hospital is better.

I hope that made sense, I tried to follow your format.

11. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

Actually this all took place over the last week. Bought movie on Friday, Fri/Sat Hospital, Sat/Sun email iTunes and refund X-Men 1, Sun-Tues all the other emails and today a phone call. Irony was that my mother came without the movies on my iPhone because she said it would of taken to long, which turned out to be the download time, didn't even get one eskimO because it wouldn't start downloading for her which was because there where 3 other downloads going. I'm closer to 30 then I'd like, she is not technically challenged and I began all this in a reasonable time frame.

If I would have my iTunes account set to one of my Credit Cards, I would of reversed the charges by now. This teaches me a valuable lesson.

EDIT: It was a sucky weekend that is going to cost be thousands because of crappy insurance, it wasn't life threatening but painful as hell and I'm getting back every bit that I can of it.

12. daxomni macrumors 6502

I'm not sure you're on the right path here. Chargebacks are for when the seller doesn't deliver on what they've promised. What has Apple failed to deliver? Your mom went and bought some movies using your account after you gave her the login. Maybe you should tell her you want your money back after she misspent your funds without your permission. I'm guessing she'll tell you she did the best she could and that she doesn't owe you anything. Which is probably the correct answer.

If you don't like your insurance then you can either change insurers or take a more active role in changing the health care system by getting involved in politics. However, neither of those options (or most anything involving consumer health care) has anything to do with iTunes.

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's not Apple's fault.

You passed you account details onto someone who screwed up. Be thankful Apple refunded one of the movies as a goodwill gesture.

14. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

I am begging you keep politics out of it and your opinions about health care to yourself. You have absolutely knowledge of my personal life and health insurance.

15. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You were the one who mentioned anything about it in the first place, what did you expect? If you don't want something discussed, don't mention it.

As for your iTunes situation, ultimately the whole problem is your fault as you gave access to your account. They did you a favor by crediting the one movie and you're lucky you got that. I would cut my losses there and consider this a lesson learned.

16. daxomni macrumors 6502

17. Emitor macrumors newbie

Emitor

It's not that much cash why make such a big deal out of it at least it's not a shopping spree of 1,000 dollars.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You bought that up. And your iTunes problem is still your problem. You, and your mom, made the mistake.

19. tmofee macrumors regular

Those digital copies you received with the Bluray are from a different company, and (i think) in DRM windows media format. The digital copy from itunes is in quicktime format. Apple have done nothing wrong. it's like buying a copy of a special edition of say, Terminator 2 and wanting your money back for the original bare bones version... It sucks I know, but feel lucky that you got any money back at all from them....

20. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, you guys are harsh, but it is amazing how much a nights sleep calms me down. I get all my anger out at night, just means I need more coffee in the morning and may need to tend to some chewed open cheeks, but I feel a lot better the next day. The insurance thing was a bit my fault, but I did bring it in to bring perspective on how much I had already spend, a misguided attempt at trying to get some sympathy, but I should know best of all how cruel people are if you aren't face to face and within swinging range :p Then again I belief honesty is a good approach. Oh well, lost this round, but Apple isn't off the hook yet, still have my rounds on the phone coming up. Did you know it costs a company about $20 every single time an agent picks up the phone in a call center. I get paid to just sit here and do nothing most of the day so its not like I'm loosing anything. I'm a dick, but it keeps me going and I don't give up.

I own the X-Men movies on DVD, re-bought them on BD. I bought Lost in Translation and re-bought it on HD-DVD and if it ever comes out on BD I would buy it then again (beautiful movie). I have no feelings about getting my money back because I enjoyed those purchases. If say my mother had bought those movies mistakenly anywhere and I took them back unwatched and sealed in there shiny packaging the next day I could of returned them within reason (not a friggen month later).

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

WTF? How's that Apple's problem?

The problem is between you and your family.

Exactly.

22. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

In an effort to actually help the OP...

First of all, there is no phone number to call iTunes Support. They are contacted by email only. Regardless what anyone told you over the phone at Apple, they cannot help you with iTunes Store purchases.

So you got a refund for one accidental purchase by using the report a problem link from your email. The problem is the iTunes Store only handles one problem at a time, so you need to go into your iTunes account settings through iTunes (Go to the store and login from the top right corner of the window) and find your purchase history. Then you can find the problem invoice and select "Report a Problem" on the other items. You may have to do them one at a time. I've never tried to get refunds on multiple items in one invoice before, but this has a shot at working.

For future reference, as a general rule Moms and tech do not mix.

23. RangerXML thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your advise, I will give that a try.

24. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Wow... The more I read this, the more disgusted I get. Wake up man! You still don't get it, do you? Apple did nothing wrong! So, you're going to make Apple spend $20(whether that's true, it's debatable) to answer each of your calls because Apple did nothing wrong?

It is crap like this that makes businesses so hard to run in America. As a business owner, I have nightmares about people like you.

Poor Apple... Poor mom! I can't imagine the grief you gave your mom. I feel sorry for her.

There is one thing that you were right about... Yes, you're a dick.

25. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Good lord.

It's a boo-boo, plain and simple - and a cheap one at that.

We've all pissed more away on a Saturday night.