need advice (hard drive ????)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Audi Rider, May 18, 2009.

1. Audi Rider macrumors newbie

well some one sent me to mac sales. Which one do you guys recommend. How big can i get the drive and will it void warranty.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Care to tell us what macbook you're running?

Assuming it's a SATA connection just grab a 9.5mm thick 2.5" laptop HD, any size/any speed. I think 500GB @7200rpm is the biggest/fastest available at the moment.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends on your Mac, SATA wise that is. Void your warranty? Hardly, the hard drive is, just like RAM, user upgradable/replaceable and hence, doesn't void warranty.

4. Audi Rider thread starter macrumors newbie

white 13-inch MB. The 500GB @7200rpm is not going to suck down my battery. And what brand should i go with.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Western Digital or Seagate.

You may see a minor battery penalty for the 7200rpm drive. Go with the 5400rpm model if you're that worried about battery life.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depending on the age of your MacBook, a 7200RPM drive might actually increase battery life over the 5400RPM one if the old one is from, say, 3 years ago. I have been very happy with my Seagate 320GB drive.

7. Audi Rider thread starter macrumors newbie

well i got the seagate 500g works great. but i notice i have a sqeek noise i think its coming from one of the fans. It only makes noise when a load is on (thinking) does anyone have any experience with this.

8. Audi Rider thread starter macrumors newbie

ok well i diagnosed the problem its the hard drive its making a loud sqeek noise.