Need Advice on Dis/honest technicians and water spillage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cs11, Jul 18, 2012.

1. cs11 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

i'm new to this forum so I haven't had a chance to look around and see what other people have said about water spillage.

So about two days ago, I was walking to class with my laptop in my bag. My mac was sitting vertically in my bag, when my water bottle exploded all over the bottom of my bag. I had a laptop sleeve on it, but the water seemed to have seeped through and touched the side where the USB and power cords go. The CD-rom disk was not affected.

When this happened, I immediately turned it off and went home to let it dry out for a bit. I did this until I turned it on later, and found that my screen had turned dark and some of the colours were inverted. As someone who is not tech-savvy, I took it to a computer technician at my local campus bookstore. When I turned it on to show him, my screen was completely back to normal. He told me he would take a look at it anyways.

The next day, he calls me to tell me that he had opened the unit and found water "pouring" out of the unit. Now, I found this really surprising because of the angle that I had had my laptop in my bag in. Let alone, there was not alot of water in my bag to begin with. However, he said my logic board was damaged and that I would need a new display assembly. I was quoted almost $2000 for all of this.

I went home and dried it out some more, and I turned it on to see that it was functioning as it had always been before - the screen was normal, a flickering that was there initially disappeared, and I had let it dry out for a couple of hours as well. I went to another technician who told me that I had nothing to worry about, and told me not to believe what the other guy said.

I'm very confused. I don't know if one of the technicians is just being dishonest or what. I have been using it now and it works fine. The only thing is that my fan seems to go off a little more than normal, or maybe that is just me being paranoid and noticing it more.

Can anyone offer me some advice? I want to take it to the Apple Store to get another opinion, but I just haven't had the chance to do that. I am confused about what to do at this point. The first technician told me that my mac is going to die very soon and that I should get it repaired ASAP, but the second one told me not to worry and if theres an issue, it is minor and I can bring it in to be fixed at any time.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Rocky244 macrumors regular

It sounds like there is quite a bit of water damage, as usually if the water damage is enough to affect your experience with the computer then you most likely will encounter more problems. Eventually the water will corrode the parts and it may be unusable.

Did you hint or inform the first technician that you had spilled water all over the computer? Or did he figure out himself that it was water damaged? Because if you didn't tell him, and he says water was spilling out, then it is more likely there was significant water present in the computer. If you did tell him, I guess there's a chance he's exaggerating the amount of water.

Either way, It's really tough to tell if your computer will be fine, or if it will die. Only time will tell if you get lucky and your computer holds or if it dies in say a month or two. I've known people who submerged the entire thing and still use it to this day (happened years ago). I know others who had it in a rainstorm for 5 minutes and it died a week later.

Point being, technicians don't have magic superpowers of predicting the future, I doubt either one was intentionally trying to fool you. They were probably just relaying their opinion based on past experiences and repair knowledge.

Suffice it to say, if your computer does die from water damage, and it did affect the logic board, the repairs will be extremely expensive, to the point where buying a computer is most likely a better option. Parts are parts, they cost money, some more than others. The logic board is very, very expensive, just hope and pray that it ends up okay, and your repairs won't be as bad.

Either way, take it in to the apple store, see what they say, and if they can help you.

Always go to apple first, theyre usually helpful.

Goodluck!

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I would still take it to Apple if it were me. You can open the computer yourself and take a look. See if anything looks corroded or damaged.

If it's functioning fine right now, you may be ok.

With that said, there's a significantly increased 'chance' that something could go wrong. There's a ton of variability in that statement for a good reason.

And that's why I'd have Apple look at it. Also, the repair quoted over $2k is obviously no good. You could buy a really well equipped, new MacBook for cheaper. So, I question the tech who took a first look at the machine.

Again, I would go to Apple. See if they find anything wrong. Mind you, when you tell them it was water damaged, warranty coverage gets thrown out the window. Just something to be aware of. Apple has little to gain in fixing your MacBook, so they're generally a great source.

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

If you have to replace the logic board, it is going to be very expensive. I don't see how time is an issue. You'll have to replace the water damaged parts anyways, I don't see how time is going to change that. Your HDD isn't going to fail, and if it is all you have to do is back it up.

I'd take it to Apple, but you'll probably get a similar answer: replace the logic board. If that does happen, I'd look into a new computer. It's a better value to get a new laptop then it is to replace the logic board on an old one.

Take it as a lesson learned. I never place my water bottle IN my backpack, and I have a separate compartment for my laptop so it doesn't sit with my books and other stuff.

5. Rocky244 macrumors regular

He doesn't know if it is water damaged. That's the point, if you don't believe the technicians, then the only possible way to tell if it is damaged is to wait and see if it actually is damaged... I mean, personally when I spill water all over my stuff and the technician tells me it's water damaged I believe them, but to each their own...

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

At this point, your best option is to use it normally as if nothing happened.

It's working. Consider yourself lucky. Use some sort of backup software so you don't lose data if/when something fails.

Accept the fact that accidents happen and at some point in the future (days, years, decades) when the computer dies (they all do eventually) you can blame the water damage.

Next time, don't carry the water bottle anywhere near the laptop.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I would too. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from Apple. If you want to CONFIRM the water damage then open it yourself or ask the tech for a picture. It's pretty easy to spot water damage.

8. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I'll take it to Apple tonight and get their opinion. Hoping for the best, as I am using it now and haven't had any problems so far. That's not to say what will happen in the next couple of days or weeks.

9. johnboy586 macrumors newbie

I spilt a cup of tea all over my Macbook, initially it would power up and I expected the worse. But left it to dry out for 4 days and it booted fine without much damage save for a few broken keys on the keyboard. Apple wanted £120 quid to replace the keyboard, which I never had done. Two years later and it's still going strong, apart from the question mark and backslash keys.

10. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope thats the turnout for me too. Thanks for sharing.

11. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Let Apple tell you if it's water damage or not. Do not mention it this time around.

12. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is that?

13. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Because, depending on how severe the damage, they may not notice.

I mean it's a long shot, but theres a chance they could try to fix it for you without considering water damage, and if you're under warranty, that could mean free parts.

I used to work there, and it depends on who you get as a genius. Some will fix whatever for you without a care in the world, free parts galore. Others will grill you until you spill all the information and then will refuse to help you.

It's a gamble, that's why I said goodluck! :D

14. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Because water damage voids the warranty.

if you go in and say you spilled water on it, then Apple can flag your serial number as being out of warranty due to damage.

If you go in and say your screen is fine now but want then to check it out because it acted funny for a day, then they will do all of their tests and tell you what's going on.

They may notice water damage.
    They may notice the moisture sensor has been tripped (I think it's just a thing that turns a color when wet )
    They may find nothing wrong at all.

Don't tell them about water or that will be their answer for everything.

15. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

^^^^That's why. Good luck

16. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh so when I go in there to talk to someone, what should I say? That my screen was acting funny? Don't mention water damage at all?

----------

Thanks. Just saw the post now. I will mention that my screen was messing up. Will take your advice on not mentioning water at all.

I guess I shouldn't mention anything about seeing another technician?

17. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Just mention it's acting funny. play dumb. get a new computer or free repair you win.

18. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I'll act as dumb as I can :)

19. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Thanks again for all of the help. I wasn't able to get in with a technician at apple due to a fully booked appointment list. However. I went ahead and opened the back to look at what damage was done. I don't know exactly what to look at and I don't want to take anything apart. However, I don't see any signs of water or damage.

Is it standard for a technician to place a sticker inside saying that it has water damage? I'm going to figure that he didn't think I would open it since I'm a female university student. Am I being paranoid about that?

Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated. I want to keep taking it apart to see if there's damage but I don't want to risk taking it apart and breaking something.

20. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Apple installs water damage stickers in there products. They will know if there is water damage.

21. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I don't think that's what she meant. I would say no, that's pretty pointless and stupid to put a sticker on the inside. This bloke sounds like he's a few bolts short of a hardware store to me.

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You sound like you could use some lessons in manners. Apple does put a number of water-damage detecting stickers inside their laptops, with a few visible with just the bottom cover removed and others only visible once the machine is disassembled.

OP, please don't be stupid and try to claim to Apple that you don't know what's wrong with the laptop. That is dishonest, it's warranty fraud, and ultimately it makes things harder for everyone involved. The more people do that, the more Apple's going to have to raise repair rates or AppleCare prices eventually as well, and the overall lower confidence in humanity we can all have. Please, just be honest and take responsibility for your own mistakes. You already made it halfway by owning up to it here, don't go screw it up by lying to Apple like the idiot who gave you advice said to do.

jW

23. cs11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes, I should have made that clear. He placed a piece of tape inside and wrote on it "Damaged due to Water Spillage".

24. thespazz macrumors 6502a

That's not Apple's sticker. Take it out. Doesn't belong there. Who knows what could happen with it in there.

25. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I find it ironic how you tell the previous poster to watch his/her manners then choose to call me an idiot.

I'd remove that it could be a fire hazard. Seems rather strange that a technician wouldn't think about that. What if OP had decided to not bother with the repair or bringing it to apple and the computer caught fire. I can't see it playing out so well for the tech if the source of the fire was discovered.