Need advice regarding MBP Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afrolova, Nov 10, 2009.

1. afrolova macrumors newbie

I am about to order a new 13 inch macbook pro. I am wondering if the difference will be noticeable between the Apple (MB990LL/A) 13.3 in. Mac Notebook to Apple (MB991LL/A) 13.3 in. Mac Notebook. I know one is 2.26ghz v 2.53ghz, and the MB991LL/A has a larger hard drive and memory, but will all those things be really noticeable?

I am a college student and do not use the computer for much less besides the web, to do papers, and to watch shows/ tv.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The real difference between them is small. I mean, you could go with the 2.26GHz machine, and get small specs and update later. After the updates to match the 2.53GHz there would only be a ~$130 difference and an extra MHz. So hue real question is. Are those extra CPU cycles worth ~$130 for you?

3. afrolova thread starter macrumors newbie

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

My opinion is do not skimp when you know you will regret it but at the same time know that you likely dont "need" as much as you think unless you are a cutting edge graphic designer or something and your activities are always pressing the limits of currently available tech.

I think in your case the cheaper model will please you just fine for your needs. You can add RAM, upgrade the HD etc later if you need. The processor difference over the useful life of the machine won't matter. The difference in cost would be better spent on going to 4gb RAM over the 2GB.

I use mine for the same things you do and I have the 2.53 15" because I wanted the larger screen and it was the cheapest option. If a 2.26 was available cheaper I would have gone for it knowing my usage patterns.

5. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Save the money, get the base model, take the money you saved and buy a bigger HDD then what you would have gotten with the next model up.