Need advice... roommates and a dog.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ke1ington, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I've come into a bit of a predicament at home recently. A little backstory:

I moved into this place with my girlfriend about this time last year. We split the rent on a bedroom and share the rest of the house with three other roommates. None of them are even close to clean, but my girlfriend and I are kinda neat freaks. Sadly, we've become accustomed to cleaning up other people's trash.

One of the roommates we're pretty good friends with and my girlfriend and his girlfriend have gotten really close. My gf usually doesn't get along with other girls but this one's different I guess. The roommate we share our bathroom with has severe OCD and practically lives in our bathroom. I'm not even kidding; she spends more time in our bathroom than she does anywhere else in the house.

The other roommate lives in our basement and is the biggest man-whore I've ever known. We've had girls fistfighting in our house because he can't keep his hooker-schedule straight. He's been told on several occasions that he will be kicked out if his behavior continues after coming home from working at PF Changs on a Tuesday night with 12 of his loud, drunk friends in tow. Him and his friends cleaned out our liquor cabinet (none of which was his) without asking or offering to replace anything. There was five or six bottles that had just been opened and quite a few others that were at half or maybe a little less.

Okay. Enough back story. On to the newest issue at hand. He brought a dog home. He claims it's "pad trained" but I've been finding yellow stains and piles of poo in random places around the house. The first time I told him his dog crapped on the carpet he replied with "it's not my dog, it's the house dog". I never agreed to having a dog. I never expressed that I wanted it. I've told him and the other roommates that I don't want it and my girlfriend and the OCD roommate don't want it either.

He went out of town this weekend and didn't want to leave her downstairs in his room so he put the pad in our living room. I come home and found about eight different piss stains and a pile of **** around the pad but nothing on it. We just spent money renting a carpet steamer not two weeks ago.

The biggest problem is the other roommate that wants to keep her is kinda "the main roommate" because he covers all of the utilities, collects rent and basically sublets the rooms to the rest of us (he also gives me free jiu jitsu lessons). He takes the dog outside but admits that it has not once done anything bathroom related anywhere but on our carpet.

So we've all expressed how we feel. I really don't want to move because we're getting an amazing deal on rent, we get along really well and I'd hate to leave because of something stupid like this.

Sorry for the mega-rant. Advice?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You need to have a house meeting with everyone who is living there. Purpose of said meeting is to tell your roommate in the basement to get his act together. If he doesn't, then you got to get him out of there. As for the dog, tell your roommate that if the dog is not trained in a month, you are taking it to the human society.

Lastly, sometimes a great deal on rent is not worth the aggravation of crappy roommates. If it doesn't get better, then I suggest that you move out.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Have a house meeting. I went to college with 8 roommates in a house and this sounds very familiar.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The little things you can do to help this along: Piss in his shampoo, use his toothbrush to clean the toilet, stack his dishes in his room (roommates like this tend to not do dishes), start cleaning up the dog mess and then putting the plastic bags in his room with the feces/piss in them, booby trap food/liquor.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

talking from experience there I see.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The dog or the friend and the dog must go, however that can be managed. Animal **** and piss can ruin your carpets and make your house reek in the Winter. People who live in such as house, lose the sensitivity to smell it after a while.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You get an amazing deal on rent because you live with a man whore who brings friends home to party, slobs, an untrained dog and a psycho. WTF do you expect?

10. Paul B macrumors 6502

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I like the idea of moving the dog waste into his room.

But in all seriousness, start looking for new places. A "House meeting" won't accomplish much more than hurting people's feelings. Inevitably, there will be someone who is forced to change his or her lifestyle. And that never ends well.

And if someone does decide to change - I give it two weeks before things go back to the way they were.

If you can't get rid of this roommate, find someplace else to live.

Good luck.

12. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

13. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Let me see if I followed along correctly...

roommate1 + GF = your friends
    roommate2 = OCD girl
    roommate3 = man-whore
    roommate4 = you + your GF

You then mentioned the other roommate (besides the man-whore) that wants to keep the dog is the "main roommate" and is who you get the great rent from. Since this "main roommate" cannot be the OCD girl or man-whore, that leaves the "main roommate" == roommate1, correct?

If that's the case, and you're as close to him as you described... just get the man-whore kicked out

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lol, very good, nicely put. The voice of experience indeed. My choice would be to spend a bit more elsewhere and have the peace of mind. Putting up with dog and human waste - literally and metaphorically - does not in any way compensate for cheaper rent. I'd suggest you walk, or try to get this chap kicked out.

Cheers and good luck

15. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

The dude gets girls every night and knows jiu jitsu? Don't be too surprised to see me at the next PF Changs afterparty!

16. wlh99 macrumors 6502

I own rental property and have done property management, so listen up, or you could get into expensive trouble.

Are you and your GF the only ones on the lease? If so, everyone moves out. If you want someone to stay, find another place and ask them to sign the lease with you, or tell your landlord and get them added to the current lease. But you need to clean house of everyone not on the lease. Make up a lie, say your landlord found out and they have to leave.

The dog moves out today. No meetings. If he refuses, take the dog to the shelter yourself. He can get it back when he finds a new place for himself. Dogs are a huge liability. Much more than dog owners who are upset because thier place doesn't allow them can understand. You already may be buying thousands of dollars of new carpet, thank god it didn't bite anyone.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Taking the mess to the bedroom is usually pretty effective for these kinds of people. I've lived in dorm rooms or dorm suites for 7 years and now live in a college owned house with seven other guys. People like this will take advantage of weakness. House meetings and talking it out sounds good but will not get through to this guy. You have to make it his problem. Leaving his dog's sh** in his bedroom will. You could also have the messes professionally cleaned and add the bill to his rent.

Juvenile? Yes. Effective? Yes.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

One more vote for moving out. It seems that there's no way for you to get rid of the flea bitten cur or his dog. So, the only solution is find another place to live.

19. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I can see how you could get that from the OP but no, that's not the reason. The one roommate that is on the lease is a business owner and covers a considerable larger portion of the rent than the rest of us.

... I do like it there. I just don't like that it smells like a sewer recently.

Your logic is spot on.

Anyway, we all got a text from roommate 3 last night saying that the dog **** on his bed and he had to trash his expensive memory foam topper. NOW he's ready to get rid of it. Hopefully this will be "problem solved".

20. emmawu macrumors 6502

MOVE!!!

You'll be so happy having your own place. Trust me; a new start is the best thing you can do.

21. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

That may solve the dog problem, but it doesn't solve the other incidents (I'm specifically thinking about the liquor stealing incident). I guess the question you have to ask, now that the dog issue may be getting resolved is this...

Other than the dog, other than him stealing your liquor, other than his man-whoring, and other than his seeming a**-holines... is he a good roommate? It sounds to me like there's more than enough to hate the guy for... does he actually have any redeeming qualities? If you can honestly say yes, and that he's usually a good roommate/friend... fine. But if you have to think while answering the question... your problem(s) still isn't solved. Hope everything works out..

22. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Nah he's a really nice guy. He's very respectful, just not considerate (I know that sounds kinda contradictory). The liquor stealing was a one time thing and he acknowledged his mistake. I actually sat and talked to him for a while last night after work (he gets home about an hour after me; everybody else is in bed). I've been trying to convince him to stick with one girl he's had over pretty often recently so he comes to me for advice. Last night he asked me for advice on buying a new laptop since I just got my MBP.

I brought up the dog situation while we were talking and he seemed surprised when I told him I really didn't want it there. Guess he thought I liked her. But I made it clear that the majority is against keeping her and he agreed it'd be wrong to keep her.

Now we just gotta hire a maid... :D

23. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Haha, glad it worked out. :)

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

This all sounds good at first, but it's not usually that simple. I'm not sure how you arrived at the word respectful, because nothing you have described shows that he respects other people. What we have here is a pattern, bring dog home, take other people's stuff with no replacement (alcohol), and have a party without checking with anyone else in the house. None of these things convey respect for his roomates. I'm not saying he's a bad person or not a fun friend, but when you live with someone the dynamics are very different and not everyone is able to manage it successfully.

The other problem you have is the "lead roomate" whose name is on the lease is not setting or enforcing house rules/boundaries that protect everyone. The poster above mentioned the potential legal problems, well that is dependent upon the terms of the lease. There's got to be some basic ground rules that everyone agrees to and are willing to follow. This is the basis for successful roomate interaction.

25. quadG5guy macrumors member