Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I have loved all Apple products for years. (Except the iPad) And hopefully buying a new Macbook Pro, after the update. Which could be any day now...

I am looking in to different payment avenues and not having any luck.

I am under 18, have gotten my parents to agree to helping me purchase a MBP, having them apply for numerous credit cards, including barclaycard and looking into "small" loans. They have all turned them down.

I can save for one but it would take many months, if not years. I really need one for school asap.

Any ideas? Advice as to how I should do this? I would really appreciate the help.

abs1nthe

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
Get a job and live like a Jew, save every penny. That's what I did. stop buying energy drinks, eat at home instead of fast food, deny yourself some fun, in no time you'll see the money piling up.

btr94

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
They really got turned down for every card? Are you sure that you should be financing this laptop then? I would check into the Best Buy card - the credit requirements aren't very stringent, last I checked.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I know this isn't what you probably want to hear, but:

If cash is that tight and credit that hard to come by, perhaps you should consider a current generation, a refurbished unit [they're like new] or if you're on a bare bones budget, break down and buy a low budget PC notebook.

I know it's difficult to settle when you really have your heart set on something, but in these rough economic times sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep from throwing more financial issues on top of the pile.

On the bright side, it looks like you may well have until June to come up with funds. Working in the mean time and saving every penny like abs1nthe [yum] suggested is probably your first and best bet.

In any case, Good luck. May the fates hear you and smile on you ^^

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I guess I made it sound like I was tighter on funds than I really am. :p And I don't think it would be a problem making the payments. :cool: I have thought long, hard and have a steady income.

"...if you're on a bare bones budget, break down and buy a low budget PC notebook." Never Again. Lol. It's :apple: from here on out.

I will defiantly look into the bestbuy card. ;)

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Unless that computer is going to be making a return, there's absolutely no sense into buying the machine on credit. Make due until you can purchase using cash and more importantly, don't ask your parents to sign for it - especially given their apparent credit situation and your inability to pay off the balance for "many months, if not years."

YMMV.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Unless that computer is going to be making a return, there's absolutely no sense into buying the machine on credit. Make due until you can purchase using cash and more importantly, don't ask your parents to sign for it - especially given their apparent credit situation and your inability to pay off the balance for "many months, if not years."

YMMV.

I completely agree with you as I also recommend against buying anything on credit (other than house and maybe a vehicle). In the OPs case, the laptop will be making (an educational) return on investment. If he needs one for school...he needs one. But I would suggest looking at getting a used MB or MBP. A one- or two-year-old laptop will work fine for a while. No need to spend more money on a new machine, given the financial situation.

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Uh...

Looking through the refurb section. One wouldn't save a whole lot on a MBP, if I'm not mistaken you only save 10-15%? I know I'm wrong in saying this but, I think it would be a wiser investment to wait for the refresh and buy then.

iSushi

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
japan
Get a job and live like a Jew, save every penny. That's what I did. stop buying energy drinks, eat at home instead of fast food, deny yourself some fun, in no time you'll see the money piling up.

i definitely agree with this. get a job schmev. even a part time one. save all your salary and in no time, you'll gonna get your dream mbp.

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I guess I made it sound like I was tighter on funds than I really am. :p And I don't think it would be a problem making the payments. :cool: I have thought long, hard and have a steady income.

I have a very good job that pays well over average in my area. I guess I just like instant gratification.

jcb19

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
Payment Options

If Best Buy doesn't work for you, try going to billmelater.com; search vendors of which Apple is a participating vendor. I think options range from paying within 3, 6, 12 months with varying degrees of interest. At your age, might be good way to build credit. You don't actually get a credit card per se and only certain vendors partner with billmelater.com.

Hope this helps.

deusxmachina

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Work

Don't look to your parents if they can't even get a credit card for themselves. Get a job, work, and save, instant gratification is overrated.

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
billmelater.com

If Best Buy doesn't work for you, try going to billmelater.com; search vendors of which Apple is a participating vendor. I think options range from paying within 3, 6, 12 months with varying degrees of interest. At your age, might be good way to build credit. You don't actually get a credit card per se and only certain vendors partner with billmelater.com.

Hope this helps.

Looked into it.. they direct you to the apple store, and their offer is the same as barclaycards. So I'm assuming thats what the offer is, barclaycard. :mad:

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Do you really need one? Or you just want one?

Because... to be honest... when I bought my first MacBook, I wanted it, I didn't need it... neither I needed the second one I bought (and already sold...)

My advice... get one, when you can afford it. There's no reason to borrow money from banks (and pay interests) for something I'm quite sure you don't need for your daily life.
Use a PC laptop in the meantime :) and then later, you will be able to fully enjoy the Apple world (if it still is as innovative and developed as it is said every single keynote...) without any loan ;)

silexh

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
The Netherlands
Why do you want a Macbook PRO? You could also buy a 'regular' Macbook. I know it isn't as cool, but it is cheaper.

My advise for your financial situation: save and work. If you do that you should be able to buy it yourself with your hard earned money. Loans only cost MORE money. Just do not (ever) try to buy something like this with one.

I saved up about 2000 euros for one in 7 years (not that much every month). But I know I'll be more happy with it because of the fact I earned that money and saved it.

If you want it now, sell all your other stuff;)

Good luck!

jcb19

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
Billmelater.com

Looked into it.. they direct you to the apple store, and their offer is the same as barclaycards. So I'm assuming thats what the offer is, barclaycard. :mad:

Didn't realize that was the case. I used billmelater several years ago to buy a camera from B&H, but never had to apply for an actual credit card; billmelater simply sent me a statement each month.

I'm with the other posters though in terms of your parents; do it yourself!

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Do you really need one? Or you just want one?

Because... to be honest... when I bought my first MacBook, I wanted it, I didn't need it... neither I needed the second one I bought (and already sold...)

My advice... get one, when you can afford it. There's no reason to borrow money from banks (and pay interests) for something I'm quite sure you don't need for your daily life.
Use a PC laptop in the meantime :) and then later, you will be able to fully enjoy the Apple world (if it still is as innovative and developed as it is said every single keynote...) without any loan ;)

I NEED one not only for school, but yesterday I was contacted by a local graphic design firm and they want me to start ASAP. They are giving me the full Adobe Suite but want me to purchase my own Macbook, I also think this is what I would like to do for a career and think it would be a wise investment. I have a limited window for this position. :(

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I have a very good job that pays well over average in my area. I guess I just like instant gratification.

Pft...your job can't be paying that well if you have to involve your parents in the equation. I worked two jobs to afford a macbook pro and a car and still escaped high school with a 3.5. Then I sold that one and bought another (cuz I got a really really nice internship that paid generous bonuses :D)

Supermansdead81

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
I NEED one not only for school, but yesterday I was contacted by a local graphic design firm and they want me to start ASAP. They are giving me the full Adobe Suite but want me to purchase my own Macbook, I also think this is what I would like to do for a career and think it would be a wise investment. I have a limited window for this position. :(

I don't know if you said how old you are but I highly doubt this. If they did offer you a position then congrats. I don't understand it though. If it is a respectable place and they were going to higher you based on what you have done, graphic design wise, then wouldn't they provide you a laptop if they think Mac is that important?

What have you been doing your graphic design work on up until now to get noticed?

The whole credit thing is a trap. I'm just saying that because I'm 29 and fell for the whole credit card thing on top of my soon to be ex-wife using them too. It is always best to pay cash and these choices people make to just get something instantly is ridiculous. It took me a long time to learn some patience and realize that in my own life however.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Buying a laptop on credit is ridiculous.

Especially a non essential MBP.

You could easily go on craigslist and find a used Macbook.

Schmev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Got it!

I must have read the refurb prices wrong or been on a euro site. I'm hoping to get a refurb 17" in the next couple weeks. Got a pay advance from the graphics firm and they agreed to pay for part.

Anyone have any trouble with remanufactured MBPs'?

Supermansdead81

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
I must have read the refurb prices wrong or been on a euro site. I'm hoping to get a refurb 17" in the next couple weeks. Got a pay advance from the graphics firm and they agreed to pay for part.

Anyone have any trouble with remanufactured MBPs'?

Now that makes a little more sense if they really want you for the job and require an Apple computer for the work.

Why don't you look at getting the 15" brand new instead of a 17" refurb. It is just an idea if you are looking on the Apple Store site anyways. You could also look at the Macmall site which is usually cheaper for a brandnew machine than even getting a student discount on the Apple Store site also.

These are just suggestions but good luck on whatever you decide to do for the computer and the job!

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
If you are going to college, get a student loan. While its still credit, if it is subsidized, the loan will not accrue interest until you either quit school or graduate. If you need a MacBook now, buy a used one.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Best Advise Ever: Don't ask advise here until after Apple updates the Mac Book Pro line... until then run far from Macrumors and get a computer you will enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.