Need Audiophile's Help for iMac Speakers!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by armoguy94, Jan 25, 2009.

1. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Hey, I'm looking to purchase new speakers for my Aluminum iMac but I need an audiophile's help. I want best sound quality for the buck, 2.1 system not 2.0 please. I'm not looking to spend more than $150 so please don't link to speakers that are much more than that. Thanks!:)

BTW, I already have Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system on my list but I don't think it would match my iMac. And I listen to songs with heavy bass being utilized, like trance/electronica/hardstyle.. if that helps

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Audiophile and $150 are mutually exclusive. You'll do fine with any name brand speakers. I use JBL Creatures and love them.

3. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

At $150 for 2 speakers and a sub, what were you expecting? If you want quality, well...I can't think of a decent 2.1 setup under $400. Those little computer speakers are probably the best you'll get.

5. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I mean I don't need amazing quality - I know I'm limited with just $150, very limited. You can get some nice sounding speakers for $150, like the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

Check out the reviews for that product on YouTube. Apart from the ones saying that it'll break down after a year, they sound very nice for $150.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Swan M10s sound like a near perfect solution.

7. bobdard macrumors regular

Look into Logitech's Z-2300. They are probably your best bet. Check out TigerDirect.com..mite even be able to get them for under $150. They have amazing base, but not perfect treble...overall you'll be very impressed though.

8. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Backed. I absolutely adore these things.

9. Pili macrumors regular

If you want audiophile on a budget your basically limited to headphones and an amp. Check out grado's, they are known to have a punch on the low end and are great to rock out to.

10. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

How's the bass? I looked into them after your post and it doesn't seem like the lows are too good. This would be a big problem for me, so I think I'll pass on those.

My brother has them, I dont really like them. They sound sort of muddy. I can get them for around $100 at newegg though.

I'll check them out, thanks.
    Edit: I'm not interested in headphones. I was misunderstanding your post, but I am not looking for a pair of headphones, I already have Sennheiser HD 201 I got for $20 and they're amazing for the price. :)

Currently the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's are on the top of my list. If I choose to go with another set, Logitech is 2nd in line. The thing I really like about the Logitech is the booming bass but the sound quality is not so great and isn't balanced. I heard amazing things of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s though.

Any other recommendations?

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

While I'm the first to say you'll never get a particularly good sound out of computer speakers, or indeed anything costing under £150 (without amps), or 2.1 systems in general, I would strongly recommend you go for Logitech's offerings.

They are by far and advanced, the best speakers designed specifically for computer use I've listened to at the price. A friend bought some Z4s which are similarly priced to the Creatures, and are incomparably better.

Avoid the Creatures, and SoundSticks. Put simply, they're boomy/trebly speakers with nothing in the middle, and poor even for computer 2.1 speakers.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Genelec has a new series of lower end audio monitors. However, most of the other posters are right; for your price range it's going to be hard to beat the three options already suggested.

13. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, they are the best on the market for this price.

I really favor the Harman Kardon Soundstick II design but the sound quality is a different story (especially for $170..).

After reading many reviews on the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's I am a bit hesitant on purchasing them. It's known to have a very short life (around 2 years) under normal use..

Then comes the Logitech Z-2300. My brother has that. Amazing bass, but the sound quality.. It's okay, but I don't think it's as good as others on the market for this price range.

The Swan M10s are out of question because of the poor bass unfortunately.

Anyone own the Klipsch ProMedia GMX-A 2.1 speakers?

14. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I hear that the GMX speakers suck.. but the ProMedia 2.1s are excellent.. particularly for the price.

My Promedia v2-400 4.1 set lasted me around 6 years.. speakers are still fine, but the pre-amp went out.. and I didn't want to buy another one on ebay for $100. I think the newer models like the 2.1 set have fewer problems with that.

15. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any store that would possibly have these for demo?

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

Stretch a bit and go for AudioEngine A2's?

17. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish :( I am limited to no more than like, $150-170 because my dad's going to be paying for it. When I get a job I'll definitely shoot for higher-end speakers.

18. AZ-GT macrumors member

19. DJJONES macrumors 6502

very very false ive owned mine for over 2 years
    i listen to music and produce music similar too what you listen too.

the sound from the klipsch is great not over exagerated its actually pretty true to the source.

they get very loud and its important to set the sub correctly.

allot of people dont know how to set the sub in tandem with the mains.

dont rule these out there very good, try getting a listen to them if possible.

the z2300 arent as good as these, ive heard both of them and been around both enough to tell that the klipsch is a better unit.
    the sub is overly exaggerated , the mains highs are harsh while the mids are cut and muddy.
    its basically a system where its developed to sound good rather then put out actual music,

good luck

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You might get some discounted deals on the M-Audio Studiophile AV40, an entry-level monitor that's decently reviewed. I only have experience of their predecessor which I thought were good value. $150 is definitely a plausible discounted price for these if you hunt around.

A popular 2.1 would give slightly more presence to the sound, but these will - if the previous DX4's are any indication - will give more accuracy.

Bad points for the Mac crowd - it's largish, black and rectangular.

21. brentsg macrumors 68040

Just because yours survive doesn't mean they aren't known to have problems. My Klipsch 4.1 set was terrible in that regard. I had to get a borked preamp replaced, and then a year or so after that the amp died. I did enjoy them when they were alive, but my story was very common.

22. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I heard the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's go on sale at Best Buy to anywhere as low as $60, so I have quite a bit of time to wait and see. But does anyone have more feedback on them? The product's lifetime? The experience you had? Any input will be greatly appreciated - it's unclear to me whether they break easily due to improper use or they're just unsturdy in general. Thanks :)

23. DJJONES macrumors 6502

well youll hear more people complain bitch and moan about problems they had with them, then people who actually dont have any problems and love them.

any product is subject to doa's , lemon's, poor build , things that can either cause them to have issues right away or down the road.

its just up to the user's common sense which most dont have, to make sure that the product they get is in complete working order, if not return it.
    just because its in excellent working order doesnt mean it will last a life time.

i know everything i get i take care of to my best ability which is why things i buy only die after long term wear and tear not short term abuse.

24. brentsg macrumors 68040

No.

I don't expect a product to last forever. The preamp had an admitted defect so they setup a methodology to purchase a replacement for a reasonable price.

And the amps were blowing up at a significant enough rate that they had to institute a special repair program for when they nuked outside of warranty. It's been a while since I looked into it, but I think they were repairing them for like $65 or some other reasonable price.

They were flooded with problems so they had to take extraordinary measures to preserve their reputation.

25. DJJONES macrumors 6502

you think every single klipsch owner had this issue?
    highly doubt it though.

thats where returning a product or doing research on one can help clear up these messes.