need better router?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjleworthy, Sep 25, 2015.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'm upgrading from ipad2 to ipad pro, with it's upgraded and faster wifi capabilities. do i need a new modern router to take advantage of this?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. And an Apple brand router surprisingly works best. Hmmm.....

3. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

what am i after then, only my current router is fairly new. how do i check?

(and Apple's own router costs 100's)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

What you are looking for is 802.11ac. And I wouldn't waste my money on a non-Apple device.

5. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

The Apple router is £500. Thats A FORTUNE! You saying i need to spend another ipad's worth just to get the best wifi speed? I dont beleive that for a moment

6. Mystro, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Meh... I use a Netgear 1750 router this past year and it works great. Blistering fast.

7. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

My isp, Virgin Media also provide a new netgear superhub for about a tenth of the price.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You can get an Airport extreme for $200 and hard wire it to your router. Then run your Wi Fi though the Extreme. Or see if you save yourself $50 and try to make it work with some other device. Good luck.

9. ozaz macrumors 65816

What £500 device are you referring to?
    The AirPort Extreme costs £169

10. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I was unware of the Airport device's job. I thought this was what i needed - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...c1acf31d8f3b354842d9bbba59aa8faee7fa78a1bcd52

To be perfectly frank, i'm not technical minded and this stuff isnt obvious or second nature to me. Apple dont make it 'easy' sometimes, as in this case. If there's no explanation how are we meant to know? Hense posting here :)

Router technology and terminology isnt my thing. It's only luck i found out that a special router was needed for the new wifi speeds. Again, this wasnt mentioned before in any obvious manner anywhere.

11. sparksd macrumors 6502a

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, now you know. Get an AirPort Extreme and enjoy 802.11ac speeds on your newer Apple devices.

13. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I got myself the new 'tower' AirPort and haven't looked back since. It's fast and the range is excellent. I get a full signal two floors up.

It doesn't have as many features as a Linksys or TP-Link router but if you don't use these features you're fine.

14. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

15. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Im getting a new router aswell, dual or triband. I was checking airport extreme, but it seems to be outdated (no new version?) So been reading reviews about:
    - Asus ac87u
    - Asus ac3200
    - tplink Archer c2600
    - Tplink archer c3200
    - Dlink ac3200

16. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

thanks chaps.

seems my isp now provide an updated router (for a small premium). might try that.

17. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The main benefit of a faster router will be to move data around between the iPad and other devices on your local network faster. Unless your ISP is really fast, it isn't going to help with browsing the Internet at all really.

The iPad Air 2 can do about 150-180Mbps over wifi. If the Pro is like the iPhone 6s, then you are looking at about 500Mbps or more (On 5Ghz). But again, it doesn't really help you much with the Internet unless you have very fast internet to begin with (very few people in the US have access to anything past 150Mbps, for example). But if you are moving files between your laptop/desktop and the iPad, it will help.

18. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I agree it just helps with others using the same WiFi router in home,it does not make the iPad get items quicker.

19. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

20. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

The Airport Extreme is a great router, but just because Apple makes something in a product category does not automatically make it the best available. There are some Netgear routers supporting 802.11 ac that work great if you want to save a bit. The Airport is easily troubleshot via other Apple products which is a nice plus and it looks nicer than most on the market (no surprise there).

21. cynics macrumors G3

Hold on a second.

I don't know what happened in this thread but we need to know your typical usage and your current routers model # to know if you need a new one (you don't btw).

Wireless N is more then likely capable of delivering your ISP's max internet speed. So wireless AC's only usefulness is found in home networking. So do you have a computer with wireless AC you'll be wirelessly transferring large files to and from? If not then save your money until you do. EVEN if you did have a computer with wireless AC many people don't transfer large files from an iPad often enough to warrant the expense of a new router.

22. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

It's late pm now, my team is 3 scores down on tv, and i'm 5 beers down. I'll update you in the morning.

23. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

update (late) as promised :)

thanks again. after quick easy research I've decided on an AirPort Extreme. seems all i do is literally unbox it and plug it into my existing router. happy days :)

my mate has one and said his it's so strong he can almost wonder off down to the local store without loosing signal!

24. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Sounds good, but is there a reason that you connect Airport Ex to your current router instead of replacing it? (or are you talking about the modem itself? (having the built-in router))

I went and bought Asus RT-AC87U =)

25. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I have a netgear r7000 nighthawk (there's also a better one now the r7500), that supports 1300/1900 for 802.11ac, I lov how it has support for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz for g , n , ac all at the same time. Friends with old android phones can connect to the guest network with wpa2 pass on 2.4ghz on g, without affecting my ac devices, etc. The external antennaas give me fantastic range too. It was the best purchase I've had as a non-apple device this year. Worth the upgrade in my opinion. Together with 200mbit docsis cable internet I am quite content.