Need Confirmation RE: Fresh Install on wiped Macbook.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PeckyUK, Nov 28, 2009.

1. PeckyUK macrumors newbie

Hey,

Was just wondering if someone could clear something up for me?

I have a macbook that i have replaced the logic board and HD in. I however do not have the original install disks for this model (Macbook core 2 duo 2.2GHz) which I believe is leopard 10.5.

I have gotten a hold of Snow Leopard Install disks for Macbook but once it comes to install it I am told that 'this software cannot be installed on this machine.' I understand this is because you need the original install disks.

What I wanted to confirm was that if I had a retail version of Leopard (one bought off the shelf brand new) or a retail leopard with family-pack (useable on several Macs) would this provide the correct install? Or do I just need the original macbook install disks?

Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Retail version of Leopard works fine. However, a retail version of Snow Leopard should suffice. You don't need Leopard to put in Snow Leopard.

3. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

How come the macbook install disk with Snow Leopard wouldn't work then? :confused:

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Have you formatted the HDD? Remember, OS X does not install in FAT32 or NTFS.

5. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a good point. is there an easy way to go about formatting it if its already in the machine. the MB currently has no OS in it, only the flashing folder icon.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Insert Snow Leo DVD and use the menu to reformat the drive. That's as close as an advice I can give. The actual process may be different.

7. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, that's for using another Mac as an external drive.

9. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so using the SL dvd again it says the same 'Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.'

all the menu options are greyed out and cannot be selected. :confused:

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There must be an option to access Disk Utility. With that you can format your drive.

11. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

There is, however it is greyed out and will not let me click it.

Nevermind, I have formatted the HD using Target disk mode and currently using the same mode to try and install. Fingers crossed! :)

12. smg77 macrumors newbie

I think the install disks that are shipped with new macbooks are specific to the particular model they were shipped with. Get a retail Snow Leopard disk and I bet it will install just fine.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Spot on... the OP said he was using a restore SL disk, not a retail.