Need faster writing SSD after OWC 115gb performance FAIL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Mar 31, 2011.

1. pjny, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am working with incompressible video/audio files and switched to OWC 115GB Mercury Pro for added speed using Adobe Lightroom and Final Cut Express. I am using a MBP 13" 2010(7,1) at 2.4ghz with 4gb RAM, SSD in the Optibay slot, and a 500gb 5400rpm Apple installed drive

However, I discovered why the performance boost I expected from these programs never materialized: the SSD chokes when writing incompresible data(such as images/video) down to 70mb/second which is about the same as the 5400rpm 500gb on the Macbook Pro 2010.

http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-SSD-OWC-Mercury_Extreme-115GB.html

I paid $270 and want to find an SSD similarly priced but with something closer to advertised write speed. 70mb/second is a joke. I only got the OWC brand because people on this board praise the OWC name.

Thanks.

2. oojosheoo macrumors member

I was debating on getting this SSD also. Could you tell us a little bit with your set up? Type of Computer, Optibay?..etc

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using a MBP 13" 2010(7,1) at 2.4ghz with 4gb RAM, SSD in the Optibay slot using the OWC Data Doubler, and a 500gb 5400rpm Apple installed drive. Performance on an older Dell M1330 2.2ghz(from 2008)) with 3.2gb RAM and Win 7 was not this sluggish even with a 7200rpm Western Digital hard drive.

I was expecting a speed boost so I can export an image then cycle the browser to the next image. The system still stalls for a couple of seconds as the 12 megapixel RAW file is exported. I cannot browse to the next image during this process.

Don't know if this affected by the 70mb write speed but I'd rather remove that issue as a factor.

I'm also concerned that rendering video files and writing them to disk will be slowed by the 70mb/s speed limit.

4. oojosheoo macrumors member

Sweet! I have the 15" 2010. I am a wedding photographer trying to see if I should step into getting an ssd. I have been researching for many months to see what is the "right" ways to get the best performance.

From my research try to see if moving the ACR6 cache to your other drive. And I am assuming you are just using your OWC SSD for boot up and apps?

Go to this link and scroll down to 14th comment. He makes some excellent points. Is it sad that I have more bookmark pages on SSD than any other thing? lol

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/589912?tstart=0

5. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Vertex 3... Crucial M4? But if you do get one of these... don't put it in the optibay. These go in the main bay, and a HDD with build-in SMS in the optibay. I guess that disqualifies the stock Apple drive you have.

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Are you sure that you're not somehow writing to the HDD during whatever you're doing? Where exactly are you seeing 70MB/s and what are you doing at that time? What is installed where and where are you writing files to? (apps/os in relation to hdd/ssd)

7. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Please click on link on original post that refers to detailed SSD write/read tests with 115gb. Tests show write speeds are crippled when writing out incompressible data such as photos.

8. mdgm macrumors 6502a

If you are unhappy with the performance you are getting I'd suggest contacting OWC for advice as to whether your performance is expected or not. Hopefully they can help you resolve your issues.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are hitting exactly the weakest spot of SSD drives: Large sequential write operations. That's where the advantage compared to HD drives is smallest, and sometimes as you saw non-existent.

I'd look for a 750 GB 7200rpm hard drive. That should give you decent speed improvement for sequential read/write, especially if only the first 120 GB are used (the first GBs in a hard drive are faster than the last ones). Won't be faster than a better SSD drive, but a lot cheaper. If you're not happy with it, it will do nice as a backup drive with an external case.

10. Weaselboy, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From what I have read, I think the OP's problem is the way the Sandforce controller in his OWC drive handles non-compressible data. Sandforce uses some sort of magic to compress data on the fly to achieve the high speeds it does. When faced with non-compressible data the drive speed falls down.

The Vertex 3 also has a Sandforce controller, so I suspect will have the same problem (admittedly speculation on my part).

OP>> I would look for drive tests showing results for large files with non-compressible data and let that guide you.

Look at this review at Anandtech (see screencap). Note the article mentions the problem with non-compressible data and Sandforce. This test uses non-compressible data to test large file write speed and I think is what you are after?

[​IMG]

11. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

WOW, the OWC 115gb isn't even in contention since it's under 100mb/second when writing incompressible data.

I know the Sandforce slows down when writing incompressible data but I think the switch to 25nm plays a further role in slowing down write speed because the 200gb OWC's write speed does not dip as low as the 115gb.

12. iMackPro macrumors 6502

What does the 7.1 mean?

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is a model identifier. You can see them listed here. 7.1 is a mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That certainly may be part of the problem. I know the OCZ Sandforce drives took a speed hit when they moved to 25nm. From the chart I linked maybe the new Intel 320 would be a good fit for you? Looks like good speed on non-compressible data and they are reasonably priced. I know forum users here had good compatibility with the Intel X25-M, and the 320 uses the same controller.