Need full OEM screen assembly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikeee, Feb 28, 2010.

1. mikeee macrumors regular

anybody know where i can get a fully assembled OEM (original equipment manufacturing) screen? not the replacement aftermarket stuff, i have one and the screen color looks very washed out, theres no contrast like the OEM one. thx in advanced, sorry if this is in the wrong thread section.:(

2. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Search ebay, there are sellers that sell complete OEM front replacments or just the LCD.

Be warned that the price is 1.5-2.5X as much as the aftermarket ones

I made a guide on restoring your iPhone if you need any hints

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871308

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

What exactly do you need and for what device? 2G/3G/3GS

Do you need digitizer/frame/earpiece/proximity sensor/lcd?

I run a repair company in the UK and we do the complete front OEM assebly for the 3GS and 3G but obviously cannot advertise my prices. If you want more information then PM me.

You should also note that if the new LCD you purchased seems washed out it could be defective and you should be able to return it from where you purchased it. I've used both OEM and 3rd party LCD panels and have only rarely had problems with 3rd party LCD panels being 'slow' or washed out.

4. theschoning macrumors newbie

Washed out screen

Interestingly, I had my iPhone 3GS screen replaced with Apple at the Apple Store in London Regent Street, as there was some dust inside - the new screen was very low in contrast, i.e. 'washed-out'. I tried to live with it for a week or so, but eventually went back to complain. They changed the screen again and its a little bit better, but still washed-out compared to the original screen, or any previous iphone I have had in the past. Allegedly, the Apple Genius Bar manager escalated my issue with Apple, but I still have to hear back from them....very disappointing that the new and replacement screens seem to be of poorer quality.

Jonathan.

5. cualexander macrumors 6502a

Interesting, because I got my 3GS screen replaced by an outside repair guy using OEM parts and it looks and feels like it did when it was brand new. It looks amazing. Now, in theory, Apple should be able to get the best screens, but you could be running into problems with the so-called "Genius" repair work.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I think it really does matter where the screens originate from. Having run a repair shop for quite some time I know how stressful it can be when my suppliers are getting replacement parts from varying sources and the quality is quite drastically different.

With the 3G I am currently able to get 3 different types of LCD panels that will all work but will be different in quality and will be reflected in the price.
    For the 3GS there is currently only 2 types, OEM and a 3rd party 'copy.'

If a genius had replaced mine I would have checked it there and then and told them there and then if I wasn't happy with it. It's not acceptable for Apple to do this to its customers. I can honestly expect it from a 3rd party repair shop, however.

7. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

well from what i can see, i have low contrast and my glass screen doesnt have that yellow tint to bring out contrast, so i guess i only need the OEM front glass? and btw, can any you guys help me with my extremely overheating iphone, the battery feels extremely hot, then comes the glass display feeling hot as well. sighs

8. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

well the previous guy told me it is an OEM screen, never been replace. can an OEM screen come without the yellow tint to bring out the contrast?

9. theschoning macrumors newbie

Yes, I guess so. Thats why I posted about my experience with Apple screen replacements - and possibly newer iPhones on sale in the shops now - apparently, this is what the screen looks like on all new phones now; washed-out with low contrast & reduced viewing angles. Pretty annoying as iPhone screens used to fantastic.

I have checked with AppleCare this morning, and it turns out that the 'Genius' did indeed escalate the issue (incl. a photo of the offending screen), but there was no response as yet - a note requesting a response was then added to the case today. Lets see what happens, but my worry is that even a replacement with a new iPhone may well be unsatisfactory unless its from an 'old' batch.....

J.

10. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

so you're saying the faded washed out blueish color screen is actually another batch of OEM? if so, im upset at the quality of apple's product.

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

to be honest I have replaced hundreds of lcd's and digitizers. I have never had a washed out as you call it digitizer/touch screen. I have however had a few lcd's that appeared washed out but it was always a lose connection and was fixed easily every time. I would definately return it and get it fixed.

12. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

i got my iphone from a previous owner who had an expired warranty, but when i was checking out the LCD screen by opening up my iphone, the cables on the LCD screen is all labelled APPLE, so maybe the LCD and the glass screen is OEM too? :confused:

13. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

btw, anyone else here notice how warm their screen gets after using their iphone?

14. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

+1

OP honestly we can't help you any further until you post some pictures so that we can tell if there is a problem, or you are being overly picky

I replaced my screen with a $23 OEM apple one from Ebay (3G btw)

[​IMG]

If also had the apple on the cable

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

that really doesnt mean anything Mike. I always replace the stickers when I remove/replace the lcd or the digitizer. but you can get a bad part regardless who its from. just look at Toyota......

16. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I just got my 3gs screen replaced because of dust by apple and I do think the new oem batch of screens are very bluish, but doesn't seem washed out and viewing angles still seem the same

17. joesegal76 macrumors member

Just got my 3GS screen replaced at Genius the other day. The viewing angle on the replacement is not even close to as wide as what I had on before. Is this just the way all screens are now or should I go back to have it checked out?

18. theschoning macrumors newbie

Well, it certainly seems like that - I have complained and had the screen replaced twice (same washed-out result), and now the case has been escalated. However, I have not heard back since last week... ;-(

I'm very annoyed, especially after years of beautiful iphone screens!

Take it back and kick up a fuss - we need make them realise they can not just change the screens to a lower quality item to save a few £s, and have their customers put up with it.

J.

19. theschoning macrumors newbie

here's the grey washed-out apple oem replacement screen (matt screen protector applied, but this does not change the contrast).

Attached Files:

20. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

21. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Both of those examples don't seem washed out to me

It looks more like its an issue with the backlight/viewing angles

In other words

It's not that the contrast is low

is that at wide viewing angles you are getting backlight leakage ( either a problem or inherent in the LCD panel technology) that is causing black levels to appear brighter = making the contrast lower.

The best example i can give you is the difference between TN panels and S-IPS panels

OP what I would do is try to find another 3gs phone ( friends or in an apple store) and compare it to your phone.. IF it is your phone, You can use my guide to try to replace the LCD on your own ( its a pretty easy procedure)

22. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

yes this is my phone, the previous owner whom i bought it from told me this iphone is OEM another aftermarket, nothing was fixed cept the battery. and i have compared my iphone to my buddy's 3G because i only have a 3G and not a 3GS and i noticed both of my buddies' phones have better contrast and their black is deeper than mine, mine is blueish. Theirs have the yellow ish tint on their screen while mine has NO tint, cept the image is sorta blue.

23. theschoning macrumors newbie

Yes, I have compared my 'new' 3GS screen with a lot of iphones out there, including original iphone, 3G & 3GS. All of the phones have a much blacker/higher contrast screen with barely a change in appearance at sharp viewing angles - much like my original screen (prior to replacement), and all previous iphone iterations that I have had.

As far as I know (reiterating what the 'genius' told me), the iphone screen comes as a sealed unit comprising of glass and LCD unit (incl. back-light?). So any back-light leakage and/or low contrast and decreased viewing angles will be down to the quality of actual screen unit, and not an installation issue.

Still waiting for Apple response.....

24. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok you just gave the answer!! they are two different types of replacement OEM lcd's. one is a blue flag and one is a yellow flag! if I know they are the same price but I am not sure which is better than the other. its not a problem with the lcd it is just different than the one you had before.

edit....I stand corrected. I checked my price list and the yellow flag is $2.35 higher in price. the yellow flag is made by Sharp and the blue flag is made by Toshiba.

25. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

what? what i meant to say is, my screen is OEM, it wasnt a replacement, and what do you mean by flag?