Need G3 Recommendations

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Okay so it’s been about a week and a half with my Powermac G3.

So far, I swapped out the 9GB hard drive with a 120GB dual booting OS9 and 10.3 Panther.

A part of me wants to spec it out.

Obviously, I know it takes a gig of RAM.

What else can I do?

I want to ditch the rage 128, and eventually upgrade the now dead CD drive but what else?

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
PCI-SATA card for larger SATA drives and SSDs, Gigabit NIC, BT2.0 with a Belkin adapter, USB 2.0 with a PCI card, FW800 with a PCI card…

Assuming you want to stay with the stock CPU. If not, there are upgrades.
Yeah I found an upgrade for $80 on eBay. Not sure I want to spend that much. I have a PCI gigabit card. Is there any way to get better WiFi support or am I stuck with Airport standard?

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
If you want it to be a maxed-out file server @eyoungren is the one, who can give you the best advice.
Best performance probably will be as an os9-machine. os9 offers a lot of options, except for video and web. #6
Actually with the Rage’s built in capture card function, OS 9 could help me convert a lot of home movies to digital

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Yeah I found an upgrade for $80 on eBay. Not sure I want to spend that much. I have a PCI gigabit card. Is there any way to get better WiFi support or am I stuck with Airport standard?
Your only solution beyond Airport is a USB wireless device. As far as I know there are no 802.11ac sticks that will work with Tiger or Leopard on PowerPC.

The fastest I've seen is 802.11n, which of course is only 2.4Ghz. The other issue, if you do get one is finding drivers. Most of these are based off the Ralink chip and you need to install a driver to make it work. It's not like stock airport where you can just connect from the menubar. You have to run a separate app.

I was fortunate to find one right off the bat for Leopard for one of the sticks I have. But I hate how kludge it all is and the benefit (802.11n) is just not worth it (to me).

EDIT: I don't believe any of those work in OS9.

bobesch

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Is there any way to get better WiFi support or am I stuck with Airport standard?
e.g. a cheap "VONETS VAR11N-300 mini Wireless WLAN LAN Router 300Mbps" WLAN-Eternet-bridge could do the job.
Once everything is set-up via browser-menu, it's a plug&play thing, to make WLAN available for all my old PPC-os9-machines.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
e.g. a "VONETS VAR11N-300 mini Wireless WLAN LAN Router 300Mbps" WLAN-Eternet-bridge could do the job.
Thanks. And honestly, I need WiFi. My router is downstairs and my office is upstairs. First world problems, I know, but Ethernet is honestly out of the question.

bobesch

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Thanks. And honestly, I need WiFi. My router is downstairs and my office is upstairs. First world problems, I know, but Ethernet is honestly out of the question.
That Vonets thing runs like a charm with os9.
Clamshell-os9 with Vonets WLAN2Ethernet-Bridge.jpg
Starting as a novice 3y ago I really became fond of os9. It does offer a lot of options to communicate with OSX and (elder) Windows.
My favorite tools for networking, Cloud and Internet:
- NetPresenz (FTP-Server)
- Transmit: (FTP-Client)
- Fetch (FTP-Client for os9)
- OS9vncServer (VNC-Server for os9)
- VNCthing (VNC-Client for os9)
- TimbuktuPro (Remote-Control-Suite: VNC, File-Exchange, Chat, VoIP for os9, OS X and Windows)
- DAVE (connects os9 with Windows (Win2000-XP) via SAMBA/SMB)
- Classilla (IMAP-email-Client and Basic-WebBrowser)
- Goliath (webDAV-Client)
- FaxSTF Pro (Fax for the old-fashioned)
---
- MS Office 2001 (os9-Office-Suite for Office '97-04' . Unfortunately docx/xlsx/pptx-files require an MS-converter, that itself requires Tiger)
- Adobe-Acrobat 5 (full Acrobat5)
- Acrobat-PDF-Writer (virtual-Printer to create PDFs)
- PrintToPDF (virtual-Printer to create PDFs)
---
VirtualPC Versions 3 / 4 / 5 / 6: to emulate a x86-PC for installation of Win98, Win2000, WinXP-Fundamentals oder old Linux-. (e.g. for my favorites on Windows: "Office2000", IrfanView, FinePrint/PDF-factory , RDP-Client v.6 and PalmDesktop)

Last edited:
Reactions: G4fanboy

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
That Vonets thing runs like a charm with os9.
Starting as a novice 2y ago I really became fond of os9. It does offer a lot of options to communicate with OSX and (elder) Windows.
My favorite tools for networking, Cloud and Internet:
- NetPresenz (FTP-Server)
- Transmit: (FTP-Client)
- Fetch (FTP-Client for os9)
- OS9vncServer (VNC-Server for os9)
- VNCthing (VNC-Client for os9)
- TimbuktuPro (Remote-Control-Suite: VNC, File-Exchange, Chat, VoIP for os9, OS X and Windows)
- DAVE (connects os9 with Windows (Win2000-XP) via SAMBA/SMB)
- Classilla (IMAP-email-Client and Basic-WebBrowser)
- Goliath (webDAV-Client)
- FaxSTF Pro (Fax for the old-fashioned)
---
- MS Office 2001 (os9-Office-Suite for Office '97-04' . Unfortunately docx/xlsx/pptx-files require an MS-converter, that itself requires Tiger)
- Adobe-Acrobat 5 (full Acrobat5)
- Acrobat-PDF-Writer (virtual-Printer to create PDFs)
- PrintToPDF (virtual-Printer to create PDFs)
---
VirtualPC Versions 3 / 4 / 5 / 6: to emulate a x86-PC for installation of Win98, Win2000, WinXP-Fundamentals oder old Linux-. (zB Favoriten Windows "Office2000",

More
IrfanView, FinePrint/PDF-factory , RDP-Client v.6 und PalmDesktop)
I’m going to use OS9 and Tiger. I’m not sure why I ever installed panther, it’s an old hard drive.

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Okay so it’s been about a week and a half with my Powermac G3.

So far, I swapped out the 9GB hard drive with a 120GB dual booting OS9 and 10.3 Panther.

A part of me wants to spec it out.

Obviously, I know it takes a gig of RAM.

What else can I do?

I want to ditch the rage 128, and eventually upgrade the now dead CD drive but what else?
I assume this is a B&W?

Here's what I did with mine:
550Mhz G4
1GB ram
ATA-133 PCI card
Gigabit Ethernet card (from an Xserve G4)
PCI Geforce FX 5200 (flashed PC card - pretty simple to do) that only works in OS X, I have other machines I can use for OS 9 if I want. I chose this because after about the 4th Radeon 9200 that wouldn't flash I finally gave up. IDK what card people are getting, but apparently only a handful are flashable and I haven't been able to find one.
It's running Tiger, and Leopard. QE/CI both work.
DVD-RW IDE drive. There's a couple hard drives in it, I don't remember what size. Any size works with the ATA card, though.
- - Post merged: - -

would this one work? (Mods, obviously this isn’t my sale. Unless I’m dumb enough to buy from me.)
The card in that picture is AGP, not PCI. So, either the seller doesn't know the difference (most likely), or they have more than one and used the wrong photos. Either way, I wouldn't buy it. See my post above...

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
I assume this is a B&W?

Here's what I did with mine:
550Mhz G4
1GB ram
ATA-133 PCI card
Gigabit Ethernet card (from an Xserve G4)
PCI Geforce FX 5200 (flashed PC card - pretty simple to do) that only works in OS X, I have other machines I can use for OS 9 if I want. I chose this because after about the 4th Radeon 9200 that wouldn't flash I finally gave up. IDK what card people are getting, but apparently only a handful are flashable and I haven't been able to find one.
It's running Tiger, and Leopard. QE/CI both work.
DVD-RW IDE drive. There's a couple hard drives in it, I don't remember what size. Any size works with the ATA card, though.
Yeah it’s a B&W. I don’t know if I’ll drop $80 on a G4 upgrade (that’s all I could find). How do you flash a 5200? I found one for like $4 on eBay

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Yeah it’s a B&W. I don’t know if I’ll drop $80 on a G4 upgrade (that’s all I could find). How do you flash a 5200? I found one for like $4 on eBay
$80 actually isn't that bad lol. The machine will work well enough as a G3 though, just won't run Leopard;)

See here. This has all you need to know about flashing. Both ATI and Nvidia cards. You'll need a PC with a PCI slot btw. I have the correct version of NVFlash somewhere.. I should upload that somewhere. It's been about a year since I did mine.

Edit: Here's the correct version. If for some reason those links are down I did just find the right version in my archives as well. Nvflash 5.13. The newer versions don't work on the old cards. Threw me through a loop my first time.

Last edited:

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
$80 actually isn't that bad lol. The machine will work well enough as a G3 though, just won't run Leopard;)

See here. This has all you need to know about flashing. Both ATI and Nvidia cards. You'll need a PC with a PCI slot btw. I have the correct version of NVFlash somewhere.. I should upload that somewhere. It's been about a year since I did mine.
I have a PowerBook G4, a MacBook 4,1 and a 2010 MacBook Pro if I desperately need leopard. I’m okay with Tiger even though upgrading it to a G4 sounds awesome. And I should have a PCI equipped PC somewhere.... maybe in the attic.... I’m screwed

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I have a PowerBook G4, a MacBook 4,1 and a 2010 MacBook Pro if I desperately need leopard. I’m okay with Tiger even though upgrading it to a G4 sounds awesome. And I should have a PCI equipped PC somewhere.... maybe in the attic.... I’m screwed
You'd be surprised how many PCs actually still have it. I flashed this card on a PC I built in 2013. Socket FM2+. One PCI slot hiding on the bottom under the PCIe's. Take a look inside any PCs lying around. Otherwise if you have a local recycle center type store, they will more than likely have one. They're handy to have around.

Reactions: Adamscomputerrepair

bobesch

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I’m going to use OS9 and Tiger. I’m not sure why I ever installed panther, it’s an old hard drive.
Even if I'd prefer it's smaller footprint, Panther unfortunately wouldn't make any sense for my workflow too, since when having an os9-machine, I only need in addition is TFF and the OpenDoc-converter for MS-Office, which both require Tiger.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Even if I'd prefer it's smaller footprint, Panther unfortunately wouldn't make any sense for my workflow too, since when having an os9-machine, I only need in addition is TFF and the OpenDoc-converter for MS-Office, which both require Tiger.
Panther isn't that much smaller anyways. I always talk people out of installing it. Tiger can be made to take up just as much space as Panther, by removing unnecessary things like languages for example. I've personally ran it on 128MB of ram and have been fine.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Amethyst1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2015
I'd say that unless you need stability in a mixed PC/Mac network environment or a Panther-exclusive piece of software, an optimised Tiger install is the more appropriate choice.

Reactions: Project Alice

RhianB

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Sorry for the brevity of my earlier post - kiddos were climbing all over me lol and it was all I could get out one handed with a 3 year old on my head. :D You can use graphiccelerator to flash an old ATI card llike a 9000 or 9200 to a Mac rom in OSX environment - no need to use a secondary machine. Supposedly, as Ive heard through the grapevine, this is the easiest way to flash an ATI card like a 9200. Link below.

You can find non-mac edition pci 9200s on ebay pretty cheaply - round about $20-30.

Last edited:

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
You can use graphiccelerator to flash an old ATI card llike a 9000 or 9200 to a Mac rom in OSX environment - no need to use a secondary machine. Supposedly, as Ive heard through the grapevine, this is the easiest way to flash an ATI card like a 9200.
I sure wish I had known about this tool something to the order of a week ago before I unfortunately bricked my 9700 when trying to flash from PC to Open Firmware, but not before spending hours trying to wade through DOS hell ...

I continue to attempt recovery.

RhianB

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Man Im sorry to hear that. I Hope you can recover your card. I know some of the old super nerds on here have written about it in the past - mostly threads pertaining to beige & B&W powermac g3s. Anyhow, best of luck to you.

Reactions: z970mp

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
I have had success using graphiccelerator to flash a Radeon 9700 in my Sawtooth.

My best advice would be to run Panther (instead of 10.4+) and enable VNC via Remote Desktop then just Remote in to run the tools. This way you wont get stuck with a blank screen wondering what happened.

@z970mp I suggest you give it a try with your bricked card. It might just bring it back to life.

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
I have had success using graphiccelerator to flash a Radeon 9700 in my Sawtooth.

My best advice would be to run Panther (instead of 10.4+) and enable VNC via Remote Desktop then just Remote in to run the tools. This way you wont get stuck with a blank screen wondering what happened.

@z970mp I suggest you give it a try with your bricked card. It might just bring it back to life.
The only PowerPC I have with an AGP slot, a G5 7,2 I've recently come into possession of, refuses to boot with the card installed, even when there's another one connected via PCI, and vice-versa. It won't even do a PRAM reset like that.

If the machine actually boots with the card installed, you should be able to just use a PCI GPU for a temporary display to reflash (which I've confirmed). The trouble is, mine outright refuses to, canning the possibility.