Need help between choosing macbook or macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellzprince1, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellzprince1 macrumors member

so I am going to be going to medical school next year and I wanted to know your opnion on which of these would be the best for med school. I will be using it for internet, microsoft word, video lectures, powerpoint lectures, etc.. Please let me know what you think.

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Macbook all the way. If you have cash to burn then Macbook Pro.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

either will be fine. What makes you think the MacBook couldn't handle basic everyday tasks?

Make your decision based on the screen size you want and your budget.

4. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

budget is not the problem but the screen size is the only thing. I like the 15.4from the pro not the 13.3 from the macbook. Also I like the white from the macbook and don't like the silver from the pro. I think the specs on the macbook are fine even though the pro has much better specs. DO you see what I am going through. Have no clue what to choose.

5. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

why owuld you not like the silver? the silver is sexy. it scratches a little easier, but meah, just character marks.

6. MacGuyver macrumors member

Its so weird how with some people smaller is better and with others bigger is better... regarding screen size. I would say go with the MB and save a thousand bucks or so.. it's still gonna be more powerful than you need... doesn't seem like you will need integrated graphics at all..

And I think the keyboard is better on teh MB and that they look better... but thats a personal preference.

7. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

for your situation, I'd go with the MacBook for sure. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, and its more than powerful enough to handle everything you need to throw at it.

8. 119576 Guest

Definitely the MacBook. There's no need for you to throw all that cash at a MacBook Pro just for the larger screen.

Also, the very medical-looking white will fit right in with your place of study!

The MacBook will handle everything you need to do.

9. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

I was also thinking the same stuff as you guys but I really want that 15.4 screen. I think everything else from the macbook is sufficient for me except that screen. while I do have the extra grand to put into the Macbook pro I don't know if I will ever need all of that. Also I heard rumors about the macbooks going all silver and no white. I really do like the white on the macbook but, if its all going to be in silver after Jan, then I will probably go with the pro.

10. ruZZ.il macrumors member

They'll both do what you want. I'll make it harder on you <evil grin>: The MBP pro weights only marginally more than the MB :D
    Though you could always use the spare cash to get a bigger monitor for when you're at home and benefit from the extra little bit of portability. I personally really like the extra screen size built in though. I've been studying Physics/E.Engineering for 2..3 years now and as I'm sure the MB would have done the crunching at times, the screen size won me over, and still does. If you can afford it and would prefer to have it all in one box and think you'd prefer the screen size..

11. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

yea the screen size does make a big difference for me I was looking at my friends MB and it seemed so small but so good looking cuz it was white and then I was using my other friends MBP and it was not that great looking cuz it was silver but the screen is a good size.

12. SushiP macrumors newbie

No one can make the decision for you. You have to decide if $800 extra is worth the larger screen to you.

13. Cmax macrumors member

Cmax

I might suggest to forget about the color for now and focus more on the hardware specs. It has been my experience after trying to bang out a report, read through technical docs or getting a presentation ready for tomorrow's meeting, that I barely notice the color of the notebook. On the other hand, I have noticed when the machine becomes sluggish -- especially when a due date is just hours away.

Besides, you may be able to have the best of both worlds. Check out: http://www.speckproducts.comproducts/seethru/15-macbook-pro/25
    This outfit offers hard plastic shells (in various colors) for the MacBook.

14. MacGuyver macrumors member

You need to focus on what's important. In this case it's obviously the color of the laptop. More importantly how cool you look when you're carrying it around. If you get a machine that doesn't have enough shine (or 'Bling' if you will) than you wont be able to attract the girlies (or guys if you swing that way).

Also, how can people know that you are ballin' if your laptop looks like Zach Morris used it during his BaySide High days. Lets face it.. if you are ballin' you want people to know. What good is being richer than others if they don't even know it.

Sometimes i get so distracted while watching "Deal or No Deal" that i forget to charge up my laptop. But when I'm in class I want my classmates to know I have a bitchin' laptop.. so I just take it out and pretend to be takin notes. I even typed a whole research paper on my laptop and I didn't even have the screen on. Needless to say I got a D on it... thats right.. I passed.. and I'm pretty sure it's because my professor realized that I was ballin' outta control.

Hope that helped.

15. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i would wait. but the the base model should be fine for your needs. it's a much better deal than the 2.4.

16. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

For what you want, the slower MBP will be more than adequate.

Or get a MB with an external screen.

And should you wait? Ah... the question that is responsible for 50% of the posts in this forum.

SL

17. cmm26red macrumors regular

I am also starting med-school in August and my school requires us to buy a tablet and handheld through the University tech shop. The tablets are IBMs and I am unsure who makes the handheld. We have to have our order in by the end of May and the computers will be distributed during orientation week. First, double check with your school to make sure they do not have a similar requirement, as most do. The tablet has Office Enterprise, as well as Vista Business Edition installed and comes with a 4 year warranty. Even though I have to purchase this crap, I am still going to purchase a new 15" T9300 MPB once they come out and use it as my workhorse. Congrats on the acceptance BTW, it is not easy!

18. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have the 2.2 and it's plenty powerful

19. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

if i were you i would go for the lower end MBP and you really dont ned to wait for a refresh i suggest go pic yourself up a refurb. and you should be fine.

20. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Just get a MacBook. Doesn't sound like you need the power of the MBP.

21. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

2.2 Ghz without a doubt. Also, are you in school at the moment? or are you starting in September? Because if you don't need it now then wait. I mean it doesn't hurt to wait for something better at the same price, especially when you have no need for it at the time of purchase.

22. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

He wants a 15.4" screen.

23. AndyFL macrumors regular

I'd say get a refurb MBP -- and the current line-up is plenty robust for your needs. Good luck.

24. Tronix macrumors newbie

Sounds like you will be fine with the baseline model MBP, I would consider upgrading the ram which is very easy and cheap. My baseline model MacBook runs very fast handles office 2008 very well. It was also pretty fast with 1GB ram but I saw an improvement with 4GB of ram though.

MBP with 2GB ram will be more than enough :). You could also consider a MacBook with 2GB ram and an external monitor. Which ever you were too choose both would be fine for what you need.

25. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Well in that case a base line refurb MBP should be more than enough for him. No need to wait for the upgrade. Although I still don't think the little extra screen size he'll get is worth the cost considering he doesn't need that much power.

@hellzprince1: What is it about the 15.4 screen size? It's not that much bigger than the 13".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.