Need help buying a new car!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Reach9, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Reach9, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey guys

I'm in the market for a new car, specifically an everyday-kinda car. I've been looking at a few models and I was wondering if you guys could help me decide.

I'm a young bachelor businessman at a software company, at a relatively good position for my age.
    I'm looking for a car which glows luxury, class, sport yet has a supercar style effect.

Not looking for a Mercedes at the moment, more of a BMW, Audi, Porsche.

Any suggestions?

2. waloshin, Mar 12, 2012
  3. puma1552 macrumors 601

Price range?

"everyday" and "supercar" don't really go hand in hand.

Maybe a 1-series coupe? Nice looking, classy, sporty, and not too many around.

4. eltigas macrumors newbie

@Reach9 would you mind sharing a few more details? I see myself in a similar situation to yours and the question in the back of my mind is whether or not these cars I'm looking at are too much car for me. How old are you and how much you make a year?

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Infiniti G35 or G37 coupe is my current target for the next vehicle. Nice cars, great motors. What's your budget?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

7. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Maybe a 2012 BMW 3-series Ci, or an M3 depending on your budget.

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If it's within your budget my suggestion is the Porsche 911 Carrera S.

9. Reach9, Mar 12, 2012

Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

What do you guys think about the Audi R8 Spyder 5.2? Really enjoy the roadster feel, like the Z4. Also heard it's a hit with the ladies, but I don't know if it's worth the price.

I realize that "everyday" and "supercar" don't make sense, but I was hoping for a real sporty look for an everyday car basically.

I get what you're saying, but i just prefer the 3 series more, but they are common. I was looking at the new 328i Sedan or the 335i Sport Line.

Details of what? I work at a medium-sized business, and i'm in my mid to late 20s. What do you mean by "too much car for me"?
    Sorry, I don't like sharing how much I make annually. But my budget is 250K and under.

The G37 coupe is an amazing car!

Thanks! but not a fan of the Carrera though. If I wanted to go with a Porsche, I was thinking of a Panamera instead.

I love BMWs, and I was considering a M3 actually.. god i'm so torn.

I just want a great looking everyday car, with a sport yet classy feel to it. Like driving to work and back, going to the beach, across town, picking up women.. etc.

10. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

audi rs3 for urban areas:

Attached Files:

11. greganpace macrumors regular

I write for a car blog and we regularly test drive cars. Take my words with a grain of salt because I have never owned any of these cars, but I have driven many. Of the three you mentioned, BMW is the most well rounded. It can be a sports car one second and a family sedan the next. Go for the M models for performance. They don't currently have an M5, which really gives the WOW, but the M3 could run you 70k+. Audi's are nice, but you need to get the s-models if you want to have any fun at all, and right now the s5 is... well, it's their most decent model. Their quattro is probably the best for snowy conditions, if that is a need for you. If you want to go used, their older RS models are worth a look. RS4 and RS6. And Porsche is a true drivers car. Comparable models to your standard BMW/Audi $$$ won't put you in a 911, but a boxster is still a very fun drive. Not the fastest on the road, but the way that car handles will make any car enthusiast happy. If you want to know how a car should feel when you drive it, try a porsche. But it is small, and does have a certain image...

IMO, go for the BMW.

12. Reach9, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012

Reach9

I believe it starts at 190K, so I would be able to afford it at that price.

The 2012 BMW 335i, is looking really good to me currently. I'm a sucker for BMWs.

13. greganpace macrumors regular

I think even if you can afford it, I don't think any R8 owners have it as their daily driver. If you already have a car that you fills the daily driver slot, then go for it. Even for how cool of a car it is, it is impractical. Largely because of the sticker price.

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I like the R8. Aston Martin makes a nice jalopy as well. If the seats get soiled by all the chicks, just chuck them out and get new ones. (The seats, I mean.)

15. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Buy a Honda and give the other 230K to charity

But FWIW, I think the R8 is awesomesauce

16. ender land, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

ender land macrumors 6502a

I'd tend to think higher of people who prefer to not give others horrible advice.

There aren't so many people out there who are gifted a 200k+ car.

I'm sure you've already thought about insurance costs for a car this expensive and realize that while you might not "have to pay for it" your ownership cost is going to be a lot higher than whatever you are currently driving. Maintenance, registration, insurance, upkeep are all going to be a LOT higher than your current vehicle. Even if the car itself is "free" you might still not be able to afford it, depending on your driving history (I'd imagine if you don't have a clear record you are probably not going to be able to afford insurance on that).

For the hell of it I just got a free quote from my insurance company, and without my good driving discounts it looks like I'd have to pay about $4,000 each year. With ALL my discounts it's *only* $2,500 but that is after 10 years with no ticket/accidents/etc).

edit: I should add I pay about $500 a year right now for insurance on a 2005 focus (which, according to all my peers and friends who work in the auto insurance agency is REALLY low for my age/gender, so keep that in mind).

17. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Wow. Go from starting school in aug 2011 to graduating in march of 2012. Impressive.

Or the bs flag is waving high........

And the person "gifting" is setting up f'ed up values out of the gate. Invest the $ and buy a beater car.

18. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I can't decide what worse, the thread itself or everyone spazzing out about how good the R8 is.

Or starting the thread with an SRT8 and it's 1980s-style green gauges from a Speak-N-Spell.

19. bmacir macrumors 6502

Budget?

20. Reach9, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Reach9

I think higher of people who prefer to not give others horrible advice as well. waloshin, hasn't given me any good feedback either.

I realize that not many people are privileged, and like I said, i'm very thankful for this. I'm not the type to go shoving this into people's faces either. This forum is just one of the places i'm coming to for people's opinions.

Yes I have thought about the insurance cost and have put that into account. I'm leaning towards a BMW, specifically the 335i or an M model, as i mentioned earlier. So I know I will be able to afford the monthly payments for it. Thank you for your proper response.

I have a budget of 250K, but I definitely won't be stupid enough to buy a car for that amount.

Wow, what is up with you people and openingly judging me? When did MR become like this?

Why can't you just answer my questions as i asked?

I didn't start school as a freshman, I was starting my final term.

Also, the person gifting has good values, I know what the worth of 250K is..again, i'm very thankful.

What i find worse is the amount of trolling here. Unbelievable.

21. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

If you really are a business student you would know to buy a 30k Prius and invest the rest of the money.

22. bmacir macrumors 6502

That's a lot of money, if it's true you are very lucky and can chose whatever you want.

If I were you I would chose one from this list:

Ferrari 458 (very high maintenance costs)

Lambo (the little gallardo) (very high maintenance costs)

Bmw 1M, M3 or M5 basically same car different size

you could go Japan Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo or Nissan GT-R

even the little fiat 500 abarth would be tempting: you would have a little car with little maintenance costs with all the fun

the list can go on and on :)

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I find it strange that you and the OP are both getting cars as gifts.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Even if I had the money, driving a very expensive car would feel too pretentious. You have to worry about dings, theft, break-ins, etc. People who really have money try to go a little understated. Warren Buffet drives a Buick. Wannabes lease expensive cars they can barely afford.

25. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I think it was an attempt (albeit a weak one) to point out his view of the OP as a t**** with an equally absurd thread.

OP, while this supposed gift is a kind gesture, perhpas, in the big picture, you should think in practical terms. For example, get the most expensive care your benefactor will provise, sell it, and buy something reasonable and invest the rest. ;)