Need help figuring out how to text, oh about 5000 people at once!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradleyheathhay, Dec 17, 2013.

1. bradleyheathhay macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 5 through AT&T with unlimited text and I need to figure out how to do mass text msg to a very large group of phone numbers. Trying to do a little marketing for my small business. After analyzing past phone bills I've got somewhere between 5-10 thousand phone numbers I'd like to send a mass text message to once a month. As this number is so large doing it through the phone itself would take just way too long, so using some kind of alternative mass text method would be my only option. Can anyone give advice on how I can use the net to send text messages to this many people? If it turns out this would only be possible through another carrier I would probably switch.

I'm open to anything. Thanks.

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I guess it will have something to do with the Fair Use terms in your contract.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i would be pretty pissed if someone included me in a group text of over 5000 people, to the point that i would never use your business ever again. consider doing some kind of email list that your customers can subscribe to or twitter / facebook feeds and updates, or news letters. there are much better ways for small businesses to contact or inform their clients once a month besides a mass text message. not to mention, everyones numbers will be included in that message. DO NOT be that guy. give your clients the option to opt into these marketing notifications. i would consider you spam the minute i got one unsolicited and block your number.

4. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

50,00-10,000 group text would be against the "fair usage" term in your contract I would imagine. There are business services for this sort of marketing. You need to get all the phone numbers into a database and/or spreadsheet first.

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Wow. I don't know about the ethics or legality of what you want to do, but have fun putting in all of those contacts!

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

You sure you're not flash-mobbin'? :D :p

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Many people pay for text messages..... Don't do it. :mad:

8. I7guy macrumors G5

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Just to let you know its probably illegal to market to peoples phone numbers unless they've specifically given them to you for that reason and you've offered them the option to opt out.

10. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

11. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of companies that cater to small businesses and will text/email all those who have given their info to your business. It's usually pretty inexpensive.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

IIRC, Spamming via text messaging is of dubious legality. Many people have to pay for each incoming message.

Of course, way way too many businesses ignore both ethics and legality and spam tens of thousands of people with text messages. Even when regulators go after them and fine them they continue to do it as long as they make money. So if you send out 500,000 text messages and manage to earn a profit of $20,000 one way or another and the regulatory people fine you $ 5,000 you are still ahead of the game. The creeps then just go out of business and start over with a new name but the same "product", same people, same equipment.

U.S. laws differ from other countries. The laws in the U.S. are becoming more strict as more and more companies use robo-callers and spam text messaging.

Any company that mass text messages is not going to get my business. I think that companies that want to do this kind of shady marketing are probably scammers or are promoting something illegal.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You asking us how to spam people?

Channeling McEnroe: You Cannot Be Serious!

14. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

To bad you don't have a twitter account, that's what twitter is good at.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just preemptively asking you to remove me from your list if I am on it

16. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Don't do it, as a customer I'm telling you.
    1. You can piss people off, because some of them have to pay for it.
    2. People get annoyed with unrelated text/imessage of any kind.
    3. Any business done via text message/imessage just feels illegal. (or course unless I voluntarily signed myself up for it)

I got a iMessage just couple of days ago about some woman hand bag on sale, without thinking twice I added to my blocklist then I block the number. After that, you won't even be able to call your customer anymore.

17. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Here is a better idea, instead of focusing on spamming folks that really have no interest in you texting them once a month, how about focusing on bettering your product or service? Doing that has much more upside.

An example would be that I like Apple products. I would be pissed if Apple texted me once a month and I really don't care for them emailing me from time to time. I do like them enough that I always go out and seek information on them on websites. Maybe you should look at getting a nice website going or something?

18. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I detest business texts. Another vote for don't do it.

19. garysauctions macrumors member

There are companies that do it all the time, if they did not then I would not know about some things that go on with them.

Twitter? You can't spell Twitter without TWIT .... not for me.

Facebook? If I want information from a company Facebook is the last place I would go for it.

Now I have seen companies that FORCE you to sign in to Facebook to see their offerings. I refuse to do business with them. In fact I contacted one such vendor on the phone about the policy. Now they TEXT me.

I guess if I had to pay per each text message it could be problematic, but I have unlimited text on my account so I don't care.

EDIT: I do send out group texts to customers based on their buying preference. If I have a rare coin going on the auction block I will text those who have bought coins from me in the past. I've never had a complaint and in fact have had several buyers thanking me for the instant heads up.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sorry, but this is wrong. Text messages are a private thing, they're not like social media sites.

Twitter is for Twits? At least that's better than being a jerk.

This is like you walking into my house while I'm eating dinner. Completely inappropriate. If your business texted me I would contact the BBB to complain about you. You've gotten lucky so far.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Small business. With known address. Sending out a spam message campaign. Very, very bad idea. If you were in my neighbourhood and I got a message, I'd come in person to your shop just to tell you what I think of you.

Spam messages are only useful for scammers. If you try to run an honest business, this will cost you dearly.

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

Absolutely. I patronize small businesses especially local ones, even though they may cost more than Amazon or Wall-Mart, simply because I want to give the locals and small guys my business. You get personal service and they care about customers. If any of them started spamming my cell with text ads that would be the last time I consider buying from them or using their service.

23. bradleyheathhay thread starter macrumors newbie

Jesus how many people have to give me their opinion about spamming!? I should have made this clear this is not spamming. These are people I already do business with just letting them know what deals are going on in a given month. But 'thanks' for all the opinions.

Now, does anyone have an opinion on how to get this done?

24. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

25. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

It's still spamming. Why dont you ask your customers how they feel about it first before trying to implement it?