Need help import songs to iTunes in specific order

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ohenriquez, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ohenriquez macrumors member

ohenriquez

Dear Forum members

I have struggled to import songs into specific order
    I had carefully named songs starting with 0001 to 1000 ( I wrote numbers before name of the songs)
    I created a list of songs from 1 to 1000 (my favourites songs in that order) as I wanted to listen to them with my iPhone 6S Plus
    When I imported them, unfortunately iTunes sorted the songs in a random fashion (in the recently added section)
    It seems that iTunes deleted the numbers I created

I wonder whether any of you know how to do this. I have looked everywhere but still unable to find answer

I have El Capitan and last version of iTunes
    iMac retina 27 inches

Thanks for your help

Omar

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

You could probably use iTunes add command in an Applescript loop to step through the files one at a time, adding them in the order you want.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

As I am aware, playlist might be the most efficient way to add large amount of songs in a certain order. Don't mess up with numbers. iTunes will follow track numbers, not your customised numbers to sort.
    Try to create a playlist, and add your 1000 songs there.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Not near a computer right now, but, a possible easy solution is to create a playlist, add all the songs to that, sort the playlist on the name field.

Otherwise, yes, can see it being "random", since iTunes uses track meta-data to organize by album, artist, etc.

Also: seem to recall when tracks on disk are named like "01 - name of song", yes, that prefix gets stripped off the name of the track in iTunes: strips off the track number on the disc/LP and adds it to the iTunes meta-data for the "album's" song.

5. ohenriquez thread starter macrumors member

ohenriquez

Thanks for your responses, I will try to add them manually but it will take a while to add songs manually from 1 to 1000.