Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohenriquez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Dear Forum members

I have struggled to import songs into specific order
I had carefully named songs starting with 0001 to 1000 ( I wrote numbers before name of the songs)
I created a list of songs from 1 to 1000 (my favourites songs in that order) as I wanted to listen to them with my iPhone 6S Plus
When I imported them, unfortunately iTunes sorted the songs in a random fashion (in the recently added section)
It seems that iTunes deleted the numbers I created

I wonder whether any of you know how to do this. I have looked everywhere but still unable to find answer

I have El Capitan and last version of iTunes
iMac retina 27 inches

Thanks for your help

Omar

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
You could probably use iTunes add command in an Applescript loop to step through the files one at a time, adding them in the order you want.

Reactions: ohenriquez

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
As I am aware, playlist might be the most efficient way to add large amount of songs in a certain order. Don't mess up with numbers. iTunes will follow track numbers, not your customised numbers to sort.
Try to create a playlist, and add your 1000 songs there.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not near a computer right now, but, a possible easy solution is to create a playlist, add all the songs to that, sort the playlist on the name field.

Otherwise, yes, can see it being "random", since iTunes uses track meta-data to organize by album, artist, etc.

Also: seem to recall when tracks on disk are named like "01 - name of song", yes, that prefix gets stripped off the name of the track in iTunes: strips off the track number on the disc/LP and adds it to the iTunes meta-data for the "album's" song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.