Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kramer73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
So i got my 7 on friday and today when i went to software update it listed 10.0.1 was ready for download and install.I thought it was strange that i didn't come with it but went ahead with install. Now i have the lightning cable picture with iTunes logo on screen and keep getting the need to update and restore when i plug it in. Its not taking the restore or update saying there was an error. This happened to my iPad the other day. Not sure if its a wifi issue here at work but when i went home and tried with the iPad it fixed itself. Anybody having this issue or can point me in the right direction?

Kramer73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
i tried DFU mode multiple times andstill has the cannot contact update server and there is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored windows that pop up
[doublepost=1474388627][/doublepost]iTunes is 12.5.1.21

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
i tried DFU mode multiple times andstill has the cannot contact update server and there is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored windows that pop up
[doublepost=1474388627][/doublepost]iTunes is 12.5.1.21

I had a similar issue, I disconnect the lighting cable, turned off the phone and then restarted the phone, guess what?
It started up normal, but was recovering my apps and settings from iCloud, there is a bug in there somewhere.
I wasted 2 hours on that restore and update.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Of the threads on this forum where people claim their device is "bricked", I've seen maybe .025% actually bricked.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Of the threads on this forum where people claim their device is "bricked", I've seen maybe .025% actually bricked.

although this may be true, I have truly seen a phone "bricked" after an update (which Apple finally blamed on a hardware failure)

No matter what I did DFU mode and every other idea in the book I could not get it off the itunes plug in screen.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
This happened to me too, when I try to updated to 10.01 via iTunes. It turns out being my 3rd party lightning cable that was the problem. I switch to the original cable, and it updated like normal. btw, the error I got was a iTunes error 9.

Reactions: tekjunkie

tekjunkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
This happened to me too, when I try to updated to 10.01 via iTunes. It turns out being my 3rd party lightning cable that was the problem. I switch to the original cable, and it updated like normal. btw, the error I got was a iTunes error 9.
Most of the 3rd party cables are just to charge. No data.. that's why they are cheap/3rd party!

Kramer73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012

don't know what else to call it other than bricked. you try DFU mode numerous times, unplugging and plugging nothing happens but the lighting cable and the iTunes logo on the screen
[doublepost=1474402424][/doublepost]
Don't use 3rd party cables with your 7 until they become more compatible is my suggestion.

Apple OEM 6ft cable from retail store
[doublepost=1474402454][/doublepost]
Did you update iTunes first, before you plugged your phone in?

yes

Kramer73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Finally got it to restore...Had to restart MacBook pro twice and plug lightning cable and DFU resets I don't know how many times. It wiped it clean which is no big deal there wasn't too much on it other than apps. Just confusing why it didn't have 10.0.1 on it. Just for everyones info its a iPhone 7 128gb matte black. Thanks for all the help and advice.
[doublepost=1474402767][/doublepost]
Any error codes?

there were a lot of them 1671 16 3099 those are the ones i can remember
[doublepost=1474402883][/doublepost]
Most of the 3rd party cables are just to charge. No data.. that's why they are cheap/3rd party!

didn't get a 9 but there were a lot of them lol!!

Stereo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I updated via wifi instead of itunes as itunes showed I needed to download 2gb and wifi update via the phone was only 50mb or so.

gaymerraver

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Essex/London
Finally got it to restore...Had to restart MacBook pro twice and plug lightning cable and DFU resets I don't know how many times. It wiped it clean which is no big deal there wasn't too much on it other than apps. Just confusing why it didn't have 10.0.1 on it. Just for everyones info its a iPhone 7 128gb matte black. Thanks for all the help and advice.
[doublepost=1474402767][/doublepost]

there were a lot of them 1671 16 3099 those are the ones i can remember
[doublepost=1474402883][/doublepost]

didn't get a 9 but there were a lot of them lol!!
Have you tried the install on a different computer?
[doublepost=1474403388][/doublepost]https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/193899/iTunes+Error+16+-+Please+help

saying here error 16 = hardware failure. I would contact Apple. Applecare will help you out with it they did screenshare (mac) with me the other day when I had battery issues. Helps them a lot to diagnose the issue quicker so you're both on the same page even though you're complicit as them in this regard.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I updated via wifi instead of itunes as itunes showed I needed to download 2gb and wifi update via the phone was only 50mb or so.
iTunes will always get the full installer, while OTA will generally go for the delta update (although sometimes a full installer could be needed as well and that's what would be offered).

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
It is a good reason why you should never get rid of your computer as the iPad Pro will not take it's place here!

Should not have to be that way. Apple should give us a way that we can we re-store our messed up downloads without having a computer. Didn't Tim Cook say that the iPad Pro would be our notebook replacement? I got rid of my MacBook Pro, and I have now a iPad Pro for that purpose. So what happens if I have a messed up download on my iPhone or iPad Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.