Need help lasting longer in bed...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickbab, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out.

I'm having a little trouble 'in the bedroom', if you know what I mean...
    I just can't last long enough to enjoy the experience. I've tried some of the things people say, but I'm still not happy.

Does anyone have any tips for lasting longer in bed?

It just makes me feel as though I am incompetent. Friends of mine can go at it for 8 hours straight and it just crushes me to hear that...

I don't know how they do it...as soon as I open up more than 1 or 2 programs, my battery life just dies while I'm using the laptop in my room, school, or anywhere for that matter.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of anything I can do to last just that little bit longer... ;)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. rumpus macrumors member

Simple. Get a new battery. Or is your old one unremovable ? Ah.. the irony of life.

Welcome to wasteland. If you are trying to be funny, you're failing, sorry. About your signature, you don't need to "reserve your rights" because no one with half as much the intellectual capacity of a boiled potato will steal your posts.

4. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

Is that a joke? :rolleyes:

:D

No I really would like my battery to last longer, especially for school.

Ah.. the irony of someone trying to make an ironic statement when indeed they are wrong.
    The battery is removable and would only be too simple to go out and buy a new one, but since the MacRumors community is such a wonderful bunch of people, I thought that some kind individuals might have some helpful tips. Alas, I was wrong.

And if somebody with half the intellectual capacity of a boiled potato does come along and read MacRumors, feel free to point them in this direction for them to ridicule my posts.

Someone has their grumpy pants on today.

Have a wonderful evening.

5. rumpus macrumors member

ROFL batteries are removable, that was the irony in the first place !!

Judging from your original post and thread title, you're not looking for "help and tips", you're actually looking for some attention. Don't mean to offend you at all, but next time you seriously want tips, try a less homosexual approach and mention what laptop, hardware and programs you're running, rather than inviting us to help you "in your bed". :D

6. vant macrumors 65816

Download Coconutbattery and report back the stats.

7. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

:( It sounds like my invitation has been declined? ;)

Well if we must be so serious about this, I'm running a 2.4GHz uMBP (2GB RAM, 500GB HDD), and at school while I'm running Pages and occassionally Safari, with Bluetooth off, sound muted, keyboard and screen backlight right down, and Wi-Fi off when not in use, I can get 4-4.5ish hours out of it.

Cycles: 212
    Current capacity: 4443 mAh (96%)

Is this the best I will get out of it or is there ways to improve the battery life?

8. DJ90 macrumors member

9. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

Someone appreciates my boredom. :D

10. moel macrumors 6502

You can't 'improve' a battery just like you can't make someone younger.

Basically plug your adaptor in and use that in bed. Or buy a new battery

End of story.

11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Don't worry mate, i also thought your title and the whole post was funny ;)

12. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Calibrate To Go Long Time

Actually you can improve battery life, often times significantly. Calibrate your battery it will get you some better mileage. It varies per type of laptop and battery OEM but it should help especially if you've never done it before. Apple walks you through battery calibration here. Funny post indeed people to serious around here especially lately with their pants in a bundle waiting for new MBP. ;)

13. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

I thought the title and first post was funny, too.

Perhaps you rubbed some people the wrong way:

Stay classy.

Personally, I dislike the feeling of impending exhaustion. If I am going to be in bed with my Mac for a while, I always plug into a power outlet. With the MagSafe plug design, there's little reason to worry about damage to your laptop.

14. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Ohhh, you don't know the dangers... what if you fall asleep... macBook on lap... flash running... macBook heats up... burns hole... starts fire... bed... room... house... block... city... you... oblivion.

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

LOL! But, he is right, make sure the computer is ventilating right and doesn't get too hot since that eats battery pretty badly I've seen some belkin pads you can use when the computer is on your lap, but the usb coolers it has use battery too, maybe try one of those small tables people usually use to eat in bed.

What makes it "Homosexual"?
    People try to be funny and people react like those religious freaks which jump around military funerals insulting their families and them :))

16. Pax macrumors 6502a

I thought it was funny too

I assume you've got 15.4 inches? (fnarr).

You might be in a measurement competition with people with superior equipment:-

I think the 15.4 capacity "as new" is 4600 mAh which ties up with your 96% above. But this article says the uMBPs have a smaller battery than the previous models.
    http://ryanblock.com/2008/10/new-macbook-pro-now-with-20-less-battery-power/

If you're comparing yours with pre-unibody models you might be disappointed. Also my 13" uMBP from Dec 2009 reports 5143 mAh, so the 13's are bigger than your 15.4". I can definitely get 5, maybe 6 hours at 1/2 brightness, WiFi on, light use eg Safari, Mail only.

So it sounds like you're getting about the best you can out of your equipment. Calibration might help, but that's more about making the battery meter more accurate than increasing your runtime.

ooer missus, obligatory for our British readers

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Me too I thought it was great :D

18. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Creative post. :D
    Perhaps allow your batteries to drain completely before recharging them next time.
    Otherwise you may need a new one as others have said.
    Good luck

19. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Awesome post.

Have you had the MBP for under an year?

If so, take it to an Apple Store and tell them your battery life sucks. They will test it, and if proven correct, will replace your battery as long as it hasn't been 1 year since purchase date.

20. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i think its funny too !

21. tsubikiddo macrumors regular

to the OP, it is strongly advisable to bring 'it' in and seek Genius advice.:D

it sounds the battery is delivering its promise, but hey, regular checks are important too.
    And if unsure, seek authority confirmation;)

And relax, it's interesting to see thread like this once in a while

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol best thread of the day! LOL.

To make the battery last longer you could dim the screen down, turn off the keyboard lighting and keep off the flash content (including RedTube).:D

23. jtara macrumors 65816

I think that's the best you are going to get. Really, you're already getting good battery life.

If you have a machine with a removable battery (the most recent MBPs have non-removable batteries, at least not without removing the entire back cover by removing those tiny screws) just get an extra battery, and switch batteries when the first runs-down.

I assume you can buy third-party charging stations for the battery. (I don't think Apple offers one?)

24. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Sorry but it's threads like these that bring this bad boy forum to its knees. :rolleyes:

25. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Turn your brightness down
    Turn WiFi and bluetooth off when not needed
    Use CoolBook to undervolt your computer
    Don't use Flash heavily if web browsing, or at least install 10.1 beta