Need Help MBP 2011

jitu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
qatar
Dear All,
I'm newbie here on this website. This is my first post.
History:
I bought my MBP 15" in 2011. When I purchased it, the cost was little high as compared to other MBP models because the technician cum sales person there told me that I can upgrade to next by changing the logic board. ..in short he told me its up-gradable totally not only IOS but the hardwares too. In 2015, my MBP was getting hot and shuts down automatically because of overheat. When I taken to the authorised service center they replaced the logic board under some free exchange or repair program by apple. After that it was working fine.

Problem:
Now, its getting hot SOMETIMES and shuts down automatically.

Also the screen getting weird SOMETIMES when I was working on MBP. Amazing thing is everytime its new screen color or design pattern on the weird screen.

I will attach the photos for the reference. I just wants to know why this happens. Which hardware needs to be replaced? etc.

I taken my MBP to same service centre and now they are saying that its an obsolete model. They didn't touch or check my MBP. :(

Thanks in advance to all the experts here.

-Jitu

Attachments

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
It's graphics card failure, very common on the 2011 models. You can try disabling the dedicated GPU with the instructions in this thread but there's no permanent fix unfortunately.

Reactions: theapplehead

jitu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
qatar
It's graphics card failure, very common on the 2011 models. You can try disabling the dedicated GPU with the instructions in this thread but there's no permanent fix unfortunately.
THANKS MY FRIEND. So I just need to replace Graphic Card? or the whole Logic board?. MBP also getting hot sometimes. Is it repairable?

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
THANKS MY FRIEND. So I just need to replace Graphic Card? or the whole Logic board?. MBP also getting hot sometimes. Is it repairable?
Whole logic board, unless you can find someone who is comfortable with BGA soldering. That being said, this is a known defect and it could come back even after a logic board replacement, so it might not be worthwhile putting that kind of money into a 2011 MBP.
[doublepost=1561399634][/doublepost]In the meantime, use the software workaround in the thread I linked above.

Reactions: theapplehead

jitu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
qatar
Whole logic board, unless you can find someone who is comfortable with BGA soldering. That being said, this is a known defect and it could come back even after a logic board replacement, so it might not be worthwhile putting that kind of money into a 2011 MBP.
[doublepost=1561399634][/doublepost]In the meantime, use the software workaround in the thread I linked above.
Thanks bro. Thanks for the valuable information. I will try that.