Need Help: MBP just died

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benlee, Feb 24, 2010.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

To make a long story short. I sold my MB in anticipation of new Arrandale MBPs. I have been borrowing my fiance's MBP for school and she is using our HTPC mini for now.

Right after class today. I was using Safari and a dialog came up that was virtually unreadable. It was distorted by colored snow but what I could read said I needed to restart the computer by holding down power button. I did so but now it will not turn back on. I push the power button and the sleep indicator light comes on and the superdrive clicks around 5 times (which is not normal). I'm 90% sure this has to be a logic board problem. I've tried the PRAM reset, etc.

Problem is: I need a notebook for law school. AppleCare on the MBP just ran out 1-2 weeks ago.

I do have insurance on it, through safeware, but do not think it covers mechanical failures.

What do I do?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Take to the Apple store.
    If it's only a week or so out of warranty, you might be lucky enough to get it fixed.

If they charge you and it's expensive, I'd buy a Macbook. Once the new ones come out, I would give the Macbook to your financee and buy a Macbook pro.

Honestly, go and buy a Macbook Pro. I doubt they will come until WWDC. Apple hasn't left much clues about this.

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Thanks for the help.

Surprisingly, it was one of my RAM sticks.

Running on just 1GB now and all seems fine.

This Penryn Macbook Pro lives another day.