Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camglegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Hi,

I was running my OS from a 96gig OCZ Vertex SSD and it crashed and now it has disapeared.

I was luckily running an OS from another Hard drive in my tower but I would really like to figure out what has happened and fix my drive.
I have tried using disk utility from my other drive to find the missing drive but alas it cannot be found.
I am running the SSD from the empty CD Drive because it is a 2.5' drive and I use the computer for Video Editing mostly.
The Dive had 44.5 gigs left on it (I dont know if that is helpful info). If anyone has any help they can give me please let me know.

Cheers!:apple:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
this is a dirt cheap piece of of gear.

http://www.thermaltakestore.com/blacx-n0020028.html

it is 10 bucks i always have a few to test "bad drives"

you have a working osx on another drive.

1) first power the machine off.
2)pull the bad ssd
3) boot with the good hdd
4) plug the ssd in the thermaltake
5) if the drive shows up clone it onto a blank drive
6) this is why I have a few of the thermaltakes
7) boot the clone
8) if the clone boots reboot with the other good osx
9) remove the clone
10) see if the ssd boots if it boots I would say check permissions repair them and try using it again.

11) if it does not boot but is recognized you have a few options
12) you could zero erase it re partition it and do a new install on it.

Some will say don't zero erase a ssd with mac's secure erase it is not the ideal way to restore a ssd. while that is true your situation is different you haver some type of problem and an clean ssd that is a little slow is better then no ssd at all. are your under warranty?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I will second the purchase suggestion. I have one (though an eSata model) that I use for archiving and fixing bad OSX and Linux discs. It's a lifesaver, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to retrieve data...

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I would go to the OCZ forums, they are really helpful and knowledgable over there, and some OCZ employees will chime in from time to time (but search first, fair warning). Also, if you don't have the current firmware, head over there, pick it up, and update it (note: if you've never updated your drive's firmware, chances are it will be a destructive update, so hopefully you have all your data backed up). That did wonders for my vertex turbos...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.