Need help (not trying to steal or mislead)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by donttell, Jan 30, 2011.

1. donttell macrumors newbie

Guys i'm new to this, so if I ask questions that seem dumb or noob-like, I apologize. I was referred to this site for further advice on what to do. I did some reading for a couple hours, but didn't find the exact answer I was looking for.

Here's the deal. I and a butt load of others just got laid off from a job that I really had good intentions of doing well in. I have an iphone 3gs and have had it for about 4 months. I got it from radio shack for like $99. It's been great, but money is tight, and I need to adjust to the circumstances. A friend told me that I can go to walmart and buy a gophone and simply take the sim card out of the iphone and install it into the gophone. However, he did note that this is true for traditional att phones and he was unsure about the iphone since the iphone has a required data plan. I can get a phone at walmart for like $10. I'd like to remove the $25 a month i'm paying for 2gb of data. As noted in the title, I don't want to appear or come off as a corner-cutter or a thief.

Can I do this? If I can, could I get some pointers on how to go about it?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can do this, but you will not be able to put the SIM back in your iPhone. You will have to continue to use the GO Phone as long as you wish not to have the data plan. As soon as you put the SIM back in your iPhone, AT&T will add the data plan back on.

If you wish to continue to use your iPhone, the best you can do is switch to the $25/200MB plan if you are on the 2GB one. You'll save $10/month.

3. donttell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replying. About my data plan, i'm paying $25 for the 2gb's. My goal is to get rid of that extra data cost every month. I know it's only $25, but hey, it's a start. After reading your post, it makes sense, but one thing I don't get is what happens to the $25 per month data plan when I pop the SIM into the gophone? Will the data plan automatically cancel? I ask this since you stated that ATT will add the plan back if I put the sim back into the iphone.

Please know that your help is very much appreciated.

4. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

$15/200mb

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I think everyone is missing a critical point here.

You aren't going to stop paying for that data plan until you eliminate your current iphone plan. Forget about the gophone sim for a second and deal with your current contract if you have one. Of course you'll pay an ETF possibly for canceling your current plan.

Cheapest gophone phones I've seen at wally world are more like $30.

6. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

It's too bad that you got the 3Gs. If you got iPhone 4, it can be sold for a lot more money.

Your best bet is to sell the iPhone and use that $ to pay for the early termination fee. Then you can get the phone from Tmobile for cheap. I think they still have the $29.99 plan at the store for 500 minutes and unlimited night/weekend and mobile to mobile.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Instead of paying for data separately and having to deal with the headache of different devices, why not try to go with the 200MB plan?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, go with the $15 plan.
    If u start using the iPhone later with no data they will add one automatically.
    Try it and hope they dont notice right away but they will eventually.

9. IMADV8, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

IMADV8 macrumors member

You don't have to end your contract to switch phones. Buy the GoPhone, call AT&T, let them know you're switching phones, and cancel the data plan only. No need to pay any ETF here.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, they will not remove the data plan automatically. After you put your contract SIM in your new Go Phone, you will have to call or go on-line and cancel your data plan. You can do this without having to pay the ETF, since you will still be using your contract plan. If they give you a hard time, explain that you no longer have your iPhone and do not need the data plan.

It used to be possible to do this and then switch your SIM back to the iPhone (being sure to turn off all data service) and just use the iPhone as an iPod/Phone without data. But this changed over the summer, when AT&T began automatically adding the data plan back on to your account as soon as they detected that you were again using an iPhone. So you will have to continue to use the Go Phone with your contract SIM as long as you wish to avoid this charge.

PS: Those who are saying your will have to pay an ETF are confused; they think you intend to cancel your postpaid service and use the GoPhone as a prepaid cell.

11. donttell, Jan 30, 2011

donttell thread starter macrumors newbie

So wait, I can do this. I simply call or go to a local att franch. store location and tell them that i'm switching phones and want to cancel data (I wouldn't make comments about the gophone since that's an obvious no-no)?

Then just put the iphone sim into the gophone?

CORRECTION: Okay, just noticed that i'd deactivate the data plan after putting iphone sim into gophone. Got it.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you need to switch phones first.
    If your sim is still in the iPhone they won't remove it.

13. donttell thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose my only regret to doing this would be losing voice recorder on the iphone when ditching the iphone.

Is there a way to keep the iphone operable just for apps like this? Guess I can't have everything.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can stick the GoPhone's SIM or an old deactivated AT&T SIM in the iPhone so you won't get the Emergency Calls Only screen and use the iPhone like an iPod Touch with a microphone. You won't be able to make or receive calls, but you should be able to use WiFi and all the non-phone functions.

15. donttell, Jan 30, 2011

donttell thread starter macrumors newbie

This is great news. So I can save $25 per month (that is until my savings overcomes the cost of a gophone) and still use the applications (non-data of course) that I use daily. I'm assuming that I won't need to register the gophone sim, nor will I have to buy minutes for it so it will work. Damn good deal.

Hey i'd like to greatly thank everyone who chimed in to help me with this. My friend was spot on. You guys are great. Thanks again.

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I just did this with an iPhone 4.

You can buy a GoPhone SIM from eBay (I paid $4). If you buy it with a Go-phone handset you may have a problem activating it with another phone.

You can buy a 1000 minute Go-Phone PIN # for $85 off ebay good for 1 year. Activate the GoPhone SIM ONLINE (I simply put in all zeroes for the IMEI number it asked for). Put it in the iPhone and your off. You can even buy 100MB Data for $20 for 30 days on the phone if you need some data. Works great. I even transferred my ATT phone number to the GoPhone which canceled my contract (I had only 2mos left on my contract so it cost me a few bucks).

17. donttell thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems difficult. I wouldn't know though.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The OP is not talking about using his iPhone as a GO Phone, but using a cheap GO Phone handset with his contract SIM. S/he's got 20 months left on that contract and a huge ETF. He just wants to remove his data plan and use a cheap phone.

19. bigddybn macrumors member

It's really too bad that people who have no idea what they are talking about seem to feel the need to speak the loudest.

OP:

Buy go phone. (Check ATT website, they often have a nice selection of refurbs for super cheap. Just be sure to remove the airtime card from your cart.)
    Put iPhone sim into go phone.
    Call ATT and change IMEI to go phone and remove data plan.
    Stop being billed for data.
    Have a nice day.

No ETF or any other nonsense. That 3GS will likely fetch a few bucks also if it's in good shape. Just sayin'.

20. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

This!
    You could also choose to keep the iPhone & use it without a sim. If you've got wifi, you can still connect and use it just like an iPod touch, which is what it will basically be. I still use my old iPhones that way, and it works well. I haven't tried, but I'm sure you could even use VoIP and make a call in a pinch. Might be worth keeping the phone around just to use.