Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysteves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
Hi all!

It seems either the battery in my MBP has died or it's no longer accepting a charge (the MagSafe does not light up but works for other MBPs—and I'm also seeing the charging icon on the black Macbook screen—so it is being recognized).

Unless you have any idea what might be wrong with my MBP (other than being ancient), I'm looking to get in there and pull some files off the drive, but I'm not sure which kind of adapter I need. I thought it was going to be this one, but I've been told it's not.

Any and all help is much appreciated as these files are quite important to me!
Many thanks in advance!
JS

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
They use non-standard SSD's so the adapter you mentioned doesn't work. They do exist - but they're a lot more expensive so it depends what the value of the data is to you.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENP1AW/ is the sort of thing you need instead.

You might have to be careful because the documentation for it guarantees compatibility up to "early 2015" but other sites say "mid 2015" works as well but I guess you could try and return if not.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmysteves

jimmysteves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
They use non-standard SSD's so the adapter you mentioned doesn't work. They do exist - but they're a lot more expensive so it depends what the value of the data is to you.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENP1AW/ is the sort of thing you need instead.

You might have to be careful because the documentation for it guarantees compatibility up to "early 2015" but other sites say "mid 2015" works as well but I guess you could try and return if not.
Thanks for this!

Reactions: bob_zz123

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Something to try. NO promises.

You'll need another Mac AND a USBc cable.

Set up as such:
2015 MBP (the bad one), with Magsafe connected.
Connect USBc cable to a USBc port

Have A SECOND MAC booted up, nearby, ready-to-use.

Press AND HOLD DOWN the power on button for 5 seconds, to force it to fully powered off.
Now hold down the "T" key CONTINUOUSLY.
Press and release the power on button.
DO NOT LET GO OF THE T KEY.

Are you able to see the "target disk mode" icon, even though the display backlight doesn't come on?

Let the 2015 MBP alone for a moment.

Now, connect another booted-up-to-the-finder Mac to the other end of the USBc cable.

Do you see the icon for the internal SSD (of the 2015) mount on the desktop?

If so, you've got the 2015 in "target disk mode" and you can now access its drive from the other Mac.

I suggest at this point you copy whatever you want to save from the 2015's drive to somewhere else (another drive).

Again, no promises that this will work.
But you should try it as soon as possible.

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
Mid-2015 doesn't have USB-C so if you wanted to try this you'd need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor -

Along with a Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Ah, thanks for the correction about the connection.

Do as bob suggests for the cable, and try target disk mode that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.