Need Help Putting Files On Mac OS 7.1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ExcelMitsuo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ExcelMitsuo macrumors newbie

i just bought my first mac and it's a Macintosh Classic with 4 MB RAM And 80 MB Hard Drive. It has a (i think) SuperDrive and right now i tried putting stuffit expander in it but it seems to not work. Right now if you guys can help me put 1 file on "Grandpa Mac" then i have progress. Programs I tried (HFV Explorer, WinImage, And TransMac).
    Thanks!!!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well congratulations on your first Mac. I probably would have gone with something more... modern. But hey, to each his own.

What type of files exactly are you trying to put on it? You can just use a floppy, but if I remember correctly it's got to be an 800k. Have you been able to get this far?

3. ExcelMitsuo thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought you could use 1.44 HD (I guess that's why the DD Floppy Formatted).
    Well I Really want to install 7.5 so i could use the PC Exchange App but i'm not sure how to make a Mac OS Formatted Floppy on PC.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The Classic did come with a 1.44MB (HD) floppy drive. According to MacTracker, it had a 40MB drive from the factory.

On the PC side, the floppy needs to be formatted as HFS, not HFS+. Maybe that'll help. From what I can find, HFVExplorer can do that.

It's been awhile, but I believe there was a 3rd party app to do "PC Exchange" before Apple included it in the OS. Can't remember what it was though. That's a Catch-22, though, since you wouldn't be able to get the app on the Mac anyway.

Maybe you can find someone local who can make you a copy of 7.5 (like a local Mac Users Group).

Sounds like a fun project, though.

5. ExcelMitsuo thread starter macrumors newbie

i just got it to work!! after telling it to format a 1.44MB Flop 50 times it finally formated. Before it kept saying (Verifying.....Re-Verifying...FAIL) Now BOOM! Works And I'm using Transmac To Transfer Programs to the Flop.Thanks Guys You May Now Close.