Need help real quick! Hi-Res antiglare cMBP or normal res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonjinse, Jun 18, 2013.

1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

I'm about to purchase my first classic macbook pro.
    So should I get Hi-res antiglare or just normal res?

The cost is $90 different.
    Mostly I use my laptop for watching movies (all the time), surfing internet, school works, emails, musics.
    I don't play games, no pictures/movies edition.

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. Normal res is 1440-by-900-pixel
    Hi-res is 1,680-by-1,050 pixel

2. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Hi-res all the way. I haven't heard of one poster praising the standard screen. Additionally I've read several posters attempting to replace the standard panel with hi-res antiglare. The consensus is the high-res antiglare is the best screen.

3. liya1201 macrumors member

Hi-res antiglare cMBP 2012 is what I am using to reply you. Highly recommended.

4. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

THANK YOU guys! I decided to get Hi-res antiglare then..
    But I have to wait for a week to pick-up at the store/shipping!
    GRRR!! I need my first macbook pro now!

5. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

And I need my Macbook Pro Retina 13" with Haswell now, but there is no such models at the store until they have it, so I must wait ;)

6. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw, do you guys think it is worth $90 for hi-res antiglare?

Should I just order a normal screen and antiglare protector screen film from ebay?

7. sneak3 macrumors 6502

I wanted to know that too. More protection and antiglare from a film protector seems a good choice.

8. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Right?? Maybe the experts here can give us the ideas about it :)

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Be patient, the HR/AG is worth the week wait.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a subjective matter -- just as worth is on any topic. If you don't know which you prefer then I'd suggest getting the high res. If you don't like it then return it. You can't determine your preference without first hand experience.

You have to decide which is the bigger priority. I'd put high res over instant gratification but YMMV.

11. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it's a personal preference. Thanks for advice.
    I'm going to Apple store today.. But again.. I just want ideas or advices if $90 more for Hi-res and antiglare is worth it. I'm new to apple so I need to learn more about it.

THanks!

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I personally prefer the AG and the high res. For me the standard 1440 x 900 is just a bit too big on the screen. For $90 that seems like a no-brainer upgrade.

But like others have said....personal preference comes into play here. Seeing them side by side should do the trick.

13. ae1440 macrumors newbie

ae1440

ive had a high rez AG macbook for 3 years got a new one and choose this again instead of the retina, i dont game but i do torrent plenty surf the internet and watch movies often, the brightness needs to be upped when watching some new darker movies but nothings ever a problem with this screen especially outside or at a well light coffee shop!

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you want anti-glare then spend the $90. The add-on screen protectors are garbage and will make the screen appear grainy.

I don't really have a problem with the standard screen, but I don't use my laptop facing a window either, so glare isn't an issue. I've never had much problem with overhead reflections, just adjust the screen.

Another option is just wait for Haswell rMBP if screen quality is important. Then you get best of both worlds- glass screen but relatively anti-glare (though not 90% like the anti-glare screens, maybe 80%) and hi-res.

15. Idefix macrumors 6502

hi-res anti-glare is what I have--and I chose it over the rMBP.

Main reason is that it's much easier on the eyes--less eye fatigue, less eye strain.

But it all depends on personal preference.

16. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I already visited the apple store that is close to my house; however, they don't carry the Hi-res antiglare macbook :(

So I will end up order it online without seeing it in person then.
    The employees there were so rude to me! BAD Experience!
    I waited there for 30 mins. One employee told me he will find another representative for me but NONE! So I had to find one by myself.. and that one employee was so rude to me. He told me the hi-res is the retina one.. I kept arguing with him and showed him the order page online.. Then BOOM.. he got what I was talking about without apologized! And still rude to me for 10 mins.
    WTF!

Well, just want to share my bad experience today. I'm so tired and ready to order my first macbook pro 15" Hi-res anti-glare!!!

17. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Trust the group here on this one, you're making the right choice.

18. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I would say go for it.
    $90 is actually cheaper than it used to be. I think it has been $150 for years until recently.
    Also, if you're not aware already, the screen will have an aluminium bezel rather than the usual black:

[​IMG]
    (the one on the right)

19. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the picture, dear!!
    Yep, I'm aware about it.. And I don't mind about the aluminium bezel at all. It looks different from any macbook pro! :)

Btw.. Do you guys think I should upgrade RAM from 4GB to 8GB? (add $90)
    Should I upgrade 2.3GHz to 2.6 GHz? (add $120)

I want my laptop runs smooth and fast! I'm getting sick of my current laptop keep freezing, taking a long time to open programs etc. I'm using less than half of the storage, and my current laptop came with 6GB.

Thanks guys!

20. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No, and No upgrade the RAM later if you need it for less money.. you'll never notice the difference in processor speed either

21. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

My suggestion would be to stay with the regular 2.3GHz processor (I think it's plenty fast already) but to upgrade the RAM.

You could get 8GB RAM for a bit cheaper ($60-70) than what Apple charges if you're willing to install it yourself but it you don't want to have to install it yourself the $90 price isn't that bad either. It's something you can also upgrade later on too if you want to wait for prices to go down a bit.

Either way 4GB should be enough for your Mac not to freeze. If your current laptop has 6GB RAM and freezes I suspect it's more of a Windows/software problem than a RAM problem. 4GB RAM should be enough for most people but 8GB is good if you want to "future proof" it.

22. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

ive had anti glare high res and retina.

honestly, retina is sooo NICE :D

23. Albuca macrumors newbie

IMO the anti-glare is the best way to go!

I picked one up, and I haven't regretted tossing that extra $90 Apples' way.

Its fantastic in low and high light situations, including those with direct sun over your shoulder (or florescent lights).

Cheers,
    A

24. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! Are there anyway to get retina with anti-glare?

25. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

as in 2 different laptops sorry