Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kane84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
I’m currently trying to restore a jail broken iPhone 6.It was reset to factory and after that won’t go past the Apple screen I tried using iTunes to restore and nothing is there any other programs for a Mac book to reinstall using the IPSW file to the phone.Thanks in advanced

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m currently trying to restore a jail broken iPhone 6.It was reset to factory and after that won’t go past the Apple screen I tried using iTunes to restore and nothing is there any other programs for a Mac book to reinstall using the IPSW file to the phone.Thanks in advanced

Make sure that you’re running the latest version of iTunes. Then, put your device in DFU mode and connect it to your computer/iTunes. It will download the latest iOS and install it for you. Good luck.

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-put-iphone-into-dfu-mode/

Kane84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
I tried iTunes got code 14 any other programs I can try????

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If that was you that did Erase All Contents and Settings on a jailbroken iPhone, then this is the result. A bootloop.

Your device is looking for stuff that isn't there any more because of the jailbreak. Pieces of it are still there because Erase All Contents and Settings does not remove it.

Follow the instructions above for DFU Mode. That's the only thing that will fix this.

And if you have a jailbroken iDevice in the future, at least with a fully untethered jailbreak, you will know what NOT to do.
[doublepost=1519329038][/doublepost]
I tried iTunes got code 14 any other programs I can try????
Are you sure you are running the latest version of iTunes?

Not the latest version for your current computer…the latest version.

If that means you need to find a computer that can run the latest version then that is what will be necessary.

Kane84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
I have the iPhone on the iTunes and lightning cable screen but iTunes won’t download the iOS

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have the iPhone on the iTunes and lightning cable screen but iTunes won’t download the iOS
Then you are not in DFU mode. You are in the normal Recovery mode. DFU Mode means your screen is blank.

Do this:

1. Connect iPhone to computer and open iTunes.
2. Shut off iPhone.
3. Put iPhone in DFU Mode
4. iTunes will give you a popup saying it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
5. Click OK to to Upgrade/Restore

You WILL lose all data.

PS. The fact that it will not download the IPSW (iOS) is a good indicator that you are running a version of iTunes that is the latest for your computer but NOT the latest version. Again, you may need to find a computer that can run the latest version of iTunes.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
It’s been almost 11 years. We really could use a menu option for DFU in iTunes... hell, hide it necessary.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Then you clearly haven't been around to the days of tethered jailbreaks. Up, down, left, left, down...
Oh I remember.. I gave up as I needed my phones to not brick.
[doublepost=1519447293][/doublepost]I’m must have done left, left, down, up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.